Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Brown calls new rules on jewelry dealers 'safety theater' - Houston Chronicle

How will it reduce jewelry theft in Houston? How many cities surround Houston that don't have this ordinance? So what do you think will happen now? Of course it will. If it is so obvious that it does not even have to be mentioned, then you bet it is a stupid ordinance and not needed, or won't do anything.

This is what happens when a certain group takes over policy. There is a list of the top 16 cities in the US which have high odds of bankruptcy, and will be forced into into it unless changes are made to stop the tax and spend mentality and cumbersome regulations. BTW, they are cities with the same persuasion that now makes up the majority of Houston's city government. Coincidence, or predictable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
Its a great idea, actually.

Everyone assumes stolen items get sold to pawn shops, but that is very rare. It is rare because if you sell to a pawn shop, you have to provide ID, and a description of the item is sent to the local law enforcement agency.That pawn shop has to hold that item for 30 days to let law enforcement check it out.

Gold buyers, etc operate under no such regulation. Anyone can sell to them, and that dealer can immediately go and melt that item at a refinery for cash. No records of the transaction at all.

This would have been a good thing for Houston.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Its a great idea, actually.

Everyone assumes stolen items get sold to pawn shops, but that is very rare. It is rare because if you sell to a pawn shop, you have to provide ID, and a description of the item is sent to the local law enforcement agency.That pawn shop has to hold that item for 30 days to let law enforcement check it out.

Gold buyers, etc operate under no such regulation. Anyone can sell to them, and that dealer can immediately go and melt that item at a refinery for cash. No records of the transaction at all.

This would have been a good thing for Houston.
You are wrong. Gold buyers were already also required to get an ID, write down a description of the jewelry, hold it for certain amount of time, send a report, and everything else already.

This new ordinance is about having to now also fingerprint and take a picture of the sellers and the jewelry In addition to everything else.

Like it wasn't enough but now this.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This is what happens when a certain group takes over policy.
Don't be coy. Spell it out, what "certain group"? Seriously, I have no idea who or what you are trying to denigrate. Gays, democrats, women, men, Hispanics?

Quote:
There is a list of the top 16 cities in the US which have high odds of bankruptcy
I did a Google search on this, nothing comes up. How about a link?

Quote:
BTW, they are cities with the same persuasion that now makes up the majority of Houston's city government.
Again, what persuasion?

Rather than make all these vague accusations, and reference lists that don't seem to exist, why not just come out and SAY what you mean.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
BTW, they are cities with the same persuasion that now makes up the majority of Houston's city government. Coincidence, or predictable?
If anything, I think this article just made Helena Brown look like a dumb ass. Not such a good look for conservatives. If you don't sell gold, you don't have anything to worry about.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Google is your friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Don't be coy. Spell it out, what "certain group"? Seriously, I have no idea who or what you are trying to denigrate. Gays, democrats, women, men, Hispanics?

I did a Google search on this, nothing comes up. How about a link?

Again, what persuasion?

Rather than make all these vague accusations, and reference lists that don't seem to exist, why not just come out and SAY what you mean.
So predictable. I purposely left out sources as the articles were not part of the reason for my post, but would add them if someone would ask as I knew someone might because a typical reply when one cannot offer a better rebuttal is 'show me a link/source'.

Here are three. There are more individual city lists, but do your own research if you really need a link.

16 US Cities Facing Bankruptcy If They Don't Make Deep Cuts In 2011 - Business Insider

Leadership for Liberty - Leadership for Liberty - Bankruptcy Queen?

Going bankrupt becomes last resort for some U.S. cities to rescue themselves - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 02-09-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Your sources are great...not!

Hell, while we're at it, the sky is falling.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
There is a list of the top 16 cities in the US which have high odds of bankruptcy, and will be forced into into it unless changes are made to stop the tax and spend mentality and cumbersome regulations.
Quote:
Here are three. There are more individual city lists, but do your own research if you really need a link.
And those lists don't mention Houston at all. At. All.

So basically what you're saying is you don't like something our city did, and so to make your point, you're going to refer to some vague lists that talk about cities that have financial problems, even though Houston isn't remotely close to being on those lists. And hope that people without the ability to think will put 2 plus 2 together and come up with some crazy conclusion that isn't even close to 4.

Hook--you're gonna have to do better than that. Even a five year old can see the holes in your logic.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Default Ha..

Of course, typical second rubuttal; the next one will be name calling.

Seriously though, I guess I am at fault for using common sense. The purpose of the ordinance is to affect theft, according to the city, and Police department, but how does it work exactly? Clearly it will prevent the sale of gold, but that treats the symptom, not the cause just as the "dry zone" in the Heights.... no one in that zone drinks alcohol. It must be so because of that ordinance!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
Hey, where can I find the regulations on second hand dealers? Are they city, county, etc.? I have a family friend in another part of Texas that I dont think has to do all the things you pm'ed me about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: