Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM

847 posts, read 2,117,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
^^ mentioned going to Starbucks as a tourist stop...to people watch.. on only a visit spanning two days. Commence face palm.

Note to OP: Wordlyman is a very good writer and extremely well versed in the language of adulation.
What do you suggest other than your normally negative snipes toward Houston?

I believe the OP mentioned 5 days.

Starbucks is just an orientation point, not the focal point of a trip to the Med Center...but whatever, some folks just simply cannot comprehend a "language of adulation"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,303,712 times
Houston travel guide - Wikitravel

Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,303,712 times
Take Monday Off: Houston - WSJ.com

Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM

58 posts, read 93,916 times
Be sure to visit Chinatown on Bellaire. Houston Chinatown,Chinese Restaurant in Houston Guide There are Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Malaysian, and Thai restaurants and shopping. If your into Indian/Pakistani restaurants and shopping, visit Harwin Street. Bargain Shopping Harwin Drive - Harwin Central Market You'll get your best bargains at Katy Mill Mall out in Katy, Texas. There are lots of name brand stores there that sell at discounts. We also have a theatre district where you can see plays and musicals. Downtown Houston I am white, but my husband is Chinese, and we go everywhere and never have any problems. Houston is a melting pot of all different cultures and backgrounds.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM

561 posts, read 967,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
What do you suggest other than your normally negative snipes toward Houston?

I believe the OP mentioned 5 days.

Starbucks is just an orientation point, not the focal point of a trip to the Med Center...but whatever, some folks just simply cannot comprehend a "language of adulation"
Hmm so you're saying that you dont exaggerate, or flatter in you're descriptions of Houston?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,089,790 times
Hi guys,

just thought I'd update on my impressions of Houston, having gotten back from 4 days there.

- first, I was totally blown away by the racial diversity. For whatever reason, as mentioned in the op, I wondered if I'd stick out like a sore thumb as an Asian-American (as I had in many other Southern cities)..well, this was certainly not the case and there were way more Asians than I ever anticipated. Way more than Chicago, DC, Dallas...

- there WERE people walking on the streets!

- I rented a car. The freeways were as expected, though I do admit the general freeway traffic was heavier than expected. I love the Texas U Turn and frontage road system! Makes so much sense.
I did utilize the little light rail, but it was forgettable. Worse than the systems in Atlanta or Dallas if I was to compare.

- There are lots of pockets of empty space and abandoned sections in the city- also the lack of zoning does make the city come off as a little rundown and haphazard. Also, wow alot of office parks. They love the office parks in Texas!

- I had originally planned to stay downtown but was finding out more and more about how "desolate" it may be, so in the end I stayed at one of the better hotels across from the Galleria (which was a pretty impressive mall and I've been around). That area is pretty bustling.

- spent time Downtown. I appreciate the grid system layout. It was certainly not a bustling downtown but it wasnt as sleepy (around noon one day and around 6pm another) as I had anticipated. The workers downtown: VERY conservative dressing. Also ALOT of distinctive "Southern" hairstyles/ looks. Saw one of the uniformed ambassadors? riding those horses downtown picking up after them...

- spent time exploring Montrose, Midtown..met very friendly graceful people along the way. Montrose is a little punky. Also visited the Asian sections along Bellaire. Very strong Vietnamese presence that's for sure. Very sparse and sprawling shopping plazas. There was construction happening that time.
- this is a weird note but I love the exterior design of Southern banks!!! with the pilar columns and all in the front.

- I love the accents! Also the people I encountered had a natural gift of gab; thus the Southern way in my experiences. Overall, I'm glad I finally visited Houston- it does blow some of the state stereotypes out of the water.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston also has a HUGE Indian & Pakistani population, but I really don't consider them Asian.
They are not what most people in the US call "Asian" (in terms of race)
But saying that they are not Asian is just as ignorant as saying that people from North Africa are not African.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Overall, I'm glad I finally visited Houston- it does blow some of the state stereotypes out of the water.
I'm glad you enjoyed it
I didn't know about Houston until I moved to San Antonio... and I'm extremely glad to live here.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Whoever repped me with "Houston sucks".... "F-you"

Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM

958 posts, read 2,560,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Hi guys,

just thought I'd update on my impressions of Houston, having gotten back from 4 days there.

- first, I was totally blown away by the racial diversity. For whatever reason, as mentioned in the op, I wondered if I'd stick out like a sore thumb as an Asian-American (as I had in many other Southern cities)..well, this was certainly not the case and there were way more Asians than I ever anticipated. Way more than Chicago, DC, Dallas...

- there WERE people walking on the streets!

- I rented a car. The freeways were as expected, though I do admit the general freeway traffic was heavier than expected. I love the Texas U Turn and frontage road system! Makes so much sense.
I did utilize the little light rail, but it was forgettable. Worse than the systems in Atlanta or Dallas if I was to compare.

- There are lots of pockets of empty space and abandoned sections in the city- also the lack of zoning does make the city come off as a little rundown and haphazard. Also, wow alot of office parks. They love the office parks in Texas!

- I had originally planned to stay downtown but was finding out more and more about how "desolate" it may be, so in the end I stayed at one of the better hotels across from the Galleria (which was a pretty impressive mall and I've been around). That area is pretty bustling.

- spent time Downtown. I appreciate the grid system layout. It was certainly not a bustling downtown but it wasnt as sleepy (around noon one day and around 6pm another) as I had anticipated. The workers downtown: VERY conservative dressing. Also ALOT of distinctive "Southern" hairstyles/ looks. Saw one of the uniformed ambassadors? riding those horses downtown picking up after them...

- spent time exploring Montrose, Midtown..met very friendly graceful people along the way. Montrose is a little punky. Also visited the Asian sections along Bellaire. Very strong Vietnamese presence that's for sure. Very sparse and sprawling shopping plazas. There was construction happening that time.
- this is a weird note but I love the exterior design of Southern banks!!! with the pilar columns and all in the front.

- I love the accents! Also the people I encountered had a natural gift of gab; thus the Southern way in my experiences. Overall, I'm glad I finally visited Houston- it does blow some of the state stereotypes out of the water.
Spread the word. Glad you visited our great city.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM

309 posts, read 713,930 times
When you visited downtown, did you get to explore the underground tunnel system? Most of the hustle-and-bustle downtown takes place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston