U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM

1,582 posts, read 5,018,432 times

Advertisements

Will be traveling as a tourist to Houston for 5 days in late March. I have been to Dallas & San Antonio before, but am looking forward to visiting this part of Texas.

What are some of the main tourist attractions and shopping spots? Suburban shopping too. Also, will I stick out as a sore thumb as an Asian-American? Do the Asian-Americans live in the city limits or the suburbs out of curiosity?

What are the main areas to avoid...is it a more dangerous city than Dallas in your opinion?

Furthermore, I'm relying on public transit- which is out of preference when I travel alone. I have done the public transit thing in other Southern sunbelt cities in the past. Is the only public transit-way to get from the airport to downtown by bus- or is there a rail?

Any insight appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,439,354 times
nobody will noice you unless you acted weird or rude

Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM

194 posts, read 517,361 times
You won't stick out like a sore thumb. Houston's an extremely diverse city. In fact, there are more Asians in Houston than in Dallas or San Antonio. There's a Chinatown on Bellaire, and it's usually packed with cars.

The largest shopping center is The Galleria, which is the largest shopping mall in Texas. There's a pretty large outlet in Katy, and some good shopping in the Woodlands, which is just north of Houston.

As for tourist attractions, I'd suggest you purchase the citypass. That allows you to visit all of the main Houston attractions (not that many lol) for a cheaper price: Houston Hotels, Events, Things to Do - Official Vacation Info - Visit Houston Texas

Sorry you have to take public transit. The public transit in Texas is just awful. It would really be in your best interest if you just rent a car.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,105,359 times
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 23.7%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 (a) 0.7%
Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 6.0%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 (a) 0.1%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 3.3%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 43.8%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 25.6%

Above from the 2010 US census
Houston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM

194 posts, read 517,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 23.7%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 (a) 0.7%
Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 6.0%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 (a) 0.1%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 3.3%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 43.8%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 25.6%

Above from the 2010 US census
Houston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
And that's just in the City. I was just looking up the demographics for Sugar Land, and it's over 35% Asian.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM

8,868 posts, read 19,609,241 times
I think public transit will make your trip difficult - if you can rent a vehicle you will be so much better off and enjoy your visit so much more. What do you enjoy doing and what kind of things do you want to see - that will help people better advise you on areas to see.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 AM

504 posts, read 1,124,647 times
Don't rely on public transportation. It will be miserable for you.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM

12,506 posts, read 26,525,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Will be traveling as a tourist to Houston for 5 days in late March. I have been to Dallas & San Antonio before, but am looking forward to visiting this part of Texas.

What are some of the main tourist attractions and shopping spots? Suburban shopping too. Also, will I stick out as a sore thumb as an Asian-American? Do the Asian-Americans live in the city limits or the suburbs out of curiosity?

What are the main areas to avoid...is it a more dangerous city than Dallas in your opinion?

Furthermore, I'm relying on public transit- which is out of preference when I travel alone. I have done the public transit thing in other Southern sunbelt cities in the past. Is the only public transit-way to get from the airport to downtown by bus- or is there a rail?

Any insight appreciated. thanks
No, you will blend in just fine.

Houston (the city) is 6% Asian & some of its immediately surrounding suburbs are as high as 25-35% Asian!!!

Its also depends on what kind of Asian you are...for example, Houston's largest Asian communities are made up of Vietnamese, Chinese, & Filipino in that order.

Followed by Koreans, Cambodians, Thais, Indonesians, Japanese, & Laos.

Houston also has a HUGE Indian & Pakistani population, but I really don't consider them Asian.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,370,133 times
March is a good time to visit: the temps are pleasant and it's very green.

Houston is a nice place to live and work, but it's not very touristy. Also, it's not the easiest city to get to know, partly because places of interest are generally far apart. It's mostly not so pretty from the freeways, but there are some quite pretty places, tho'. I was going to echo the thought that you really have to rent a car ... but I suppose it might be possible to use the bus (and/or our 1 light rail line) if you planned ahead carefully.

You didn't give much info on your interests, so it's hard to come up with a lot of ideas tailored to that. The Galleria is an upscale mall that is the biggest in Texas and one of the largest nationally. It's a major destination for visitors, including many well-to-do folks from Mexico who travel here specifically to shop there. There are some nice places to shop in the more upscale suburbs (like Sugar Land and The Woodlands). But, to be honest, it's mostly the same upscale stores you can see elsewhere in the US. If you want to sample what we have of Asian food and shopping, "New Chinatown" (out west on Bellaire Blvd.) is probably the best place to go.

If you like museums and original (non-chain) restaurants, you might want to spend more time "inside the Loop" (i.e., the 610 freeway loop), specifically the Rice U, Montrose, Heights areas that lie to the W and SW of downtown.

I don't think you'd stick out at all as an Asian American. If you are from, say, California, my guess is that you'd find the ratio of immigrants to american-born folks to be higher here. For instance, there is a huge number of people from China here who are in their 40s (like half my colleagues from school and work, it seems). The overwhelming majority of my friends like that live in either Katy or Sugar Land. Those areas are generally more conservative than the "inside the loop" areas.

Finally, I don't think the safely issues are much different from Dallas, overall.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 AM

286 posts, read 546,524 times
Houston isn't particularly pedestrian friendly.

There are areas to avoid, but they have no retail anyways.

Areas to Avoid / Crime in Houston and other Warnings and Dangers Reviews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston