Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 01:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times

Advertisements

If you're scared of the hood, don't move to Inwood because it's in close proximity to Acres Homes, like right next door. Periodically, Inwood Forest suffers from spillover crime from Acres Homes. As far as Acres Homes is concerned, that's my home neighborhood so I know it better than most. Unlike most hoods in Houston, Acres Homes has that community spirit where everyone knows everyone and while it does have crime issues, it's nowhere near a warzone. It's not as bad as it used to be. Acres Homes' crime heyday was the mid to late 80s to 90's. After the 90's, crime has been steadily dropping. Acres Homes is one of the few neighborhoods in Houston that has avoided gentrification; for how long remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 06:21 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
If you're scared of the hood, don't move to Inwood because it's in close proximity to Acres Homes, like right next door. Periodically, Inwood Forest suffers from spillover crime from Acres Homes. As far as Acres Homes is concerned, that's my home neighborhood so I know it better than most. Unlike most hoods in Houston, Acres Homes has that community spirit where everyone knows everyone and while it does have crime issues, it's nowhere near a warzone. It's not as bad as it used to be. Acres Homes' crime heyday was the mid to late 80s to 90's. After the 90's, crime has been steadily dropping. Acres Homes is one of the few neighborhoods in Houston that has avoided gentrification; for how long remains to be seen.

Acres Homes is my growing up, go to grandma's/great aunts and uncle's hood so I know it too. It's good as far as old people. However, grandma's 40-60 year old drug using children who live with her now are the problem. Them and their late 20s-30 something children.

I know *side eyes 47 year old cousin I haven't seen in 7 years who's still selling off stuff in his mom's house for a fix*

Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
the key to gentrification is how many people actually own land in the area folks want?

Won't be easy pulling land from people in Sunnyside and Acres Homes. Certain parts of 3rd ward folks were career renters so it was easy but not the same once you cross OST.

Little easier in the Heights.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:17 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Check out the schools if you have kids. Probably not that good.
Here are the exact schools serving Inwood Forest (map here: Neighborhood Map – IFCIA )
Unlike Houston ISD, Aldine ISD has specific attendance boundary maps for its preK centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
The schools will eventually follow though it will take a while it is true, just look at what has happened in west Memorial. This being TX, many families would rather live relatively cheaply closer to town and send the kids to private schools anyway.
I'm not sure how soon the Aldine ISD schools here will gentrify, as northside HISD schools haven't yet done so either (although Oak Forest Elementary has a great reputation).

BTW the HS zone immediately to the south of the Eisenhower zone (in which Inwood Forest is to the north) is the HISD Scarborough High zone https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/...borough_HS.pdf

Last edited by Vicman; 10-27-2018 at 11:48 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 4,865 times
I have been researching neighborhoods looking for a home for my family for the past 6 months or so. I’ve toured several homes in the Inwood area and I think the ONLY thing holding me back is not traffic nor fear of danger but the ISD. It’s Aldine ISD and not HISD, my children currently attend magnet schools within HISD and i wouldn’t want to transfer them out, i really like the Houston ISD schools, even through the constant drama i still like the well balanced culture within the school system. Otherwise i could get so much bang for my buck, a big beautiful house with a pool on a golf course would be amazing along with walking trails and a backyard park basically. Unfortunately I’ve been looking in Oak Forest and while the schools are good the houses are tiny! I don’t see our family of 5 sharing only 1 bathroom浪 if only I had a relative that has a HISD address I would totally buy in Inwood Forest!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:48 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Do people know how many times Acres Homes has been discussed for redevelopment/gentrification? Hundreds, and each time it's failed because for one thing, the residents wouldn't go for it. Acres Homes is one of the first black neighborhoods in Houston, my home neighborhood and it's respected all over Houston. You have the convenience of being next to 45, 249, 290, and 610. The closest thing to gentrification AH will get is the southern, northern and western parts of the community, that and you'd have to pay big money to move everyone out of AH for it to be redeveloped. Guess what? Those former Acres Homes residents would have to go somewhere, like Tomball, Inwood Forest or even to the South/SW side of Houston.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:07 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrayvan View Post
I have been researching neighborhoods looking for a home for my family for the past 6 months or so. I’ve toured several homes in the Inwood area and I think the ONLY thing holding me back is not traffic nor fear of danger but the ISD. It’s Aldine ISD and not HISD, my children currently attend magnet schools within HISD and i wouldn’t want to transfer them out, i really like the Houston ISD schools, even through the constant drama i still like the well balanced culture within the school system. Otherwise i could get so much bang for my buck, a big beautiful house with a pool on a golf course would be amazing along with walking trails and a backyard park basically. Unfortunately I’ve been looking in Oak Forest and while the schools are good the houses are tiny! I don’t see our family of 5 sharing only 1 bathroom浪 if only I had a relative that has a HISD address I would totally buy in Inwood Forest!
At this rate, why doesn't Aldine ISD consolidate into HISD? It can be an act of the state legislature, or it can be a referendum held in both districts approving consolidation.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
On the Looped in Podcast they recently had an interview with a houston real estate developer who talked about Inwood Forest and Independence Heights as being the two neighborhoods he thinks are up for big comebacks. So it might be a great place to buy.

I've always thought Acres Homes (the southern part of it with those huge lots near Tidwell) will eventually come back as well. Those big lots might be tempting for all those townhome fill-ins. Especially if they can buy enough of them to bulldoze and re-plat.

It might take a few decades, but it'll happen eventually! Out here in Los Angeles I was driving through an old industrial area and saw they put in a new gated community by getting enough big old warehouse areas and dozing them completely. Those townhomes were starting at 500k which is a bargain for LA but there is literally nothing around there but light industrial! When the land pressure gets enough there are going to be some swanky developments going in weird places. They're even building nice new apartments on slivers of land between roadways and freeways that are about as wide as a Jack in the Box or Burger King.

On another of those Houston podcasts a developer was talking about Houston doing that in the future. Right now there is still too much open land for that kind of foolishness, but some day...

Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrayvan View Post
There is no longer a golf course in Inwood Forest. The golf course closed some time ago, and is now city parkland and water detention.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 4,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
At this rate, why doesn't Aldine ISD consolidate into HISD? It can be an act of the state legislature, or it can be a referendum held in both districts approving consolidation.
Trust me I’ve googled that option myself for Inwood Forest to become part of HISD! But the proximity of Eisenhower High School is right there so I don’t know how that would work 😕
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston