Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times

Advertisements

I am having my TX BBQ withdrawals...there is NONE to be found here in the Bay Area that is worth it. I have been on a 3 year mission to find decent BBQ out here and the only place that has anything remotely close to good TX BBQ is one of the Whole Foods that has a smoker. It is actually the only Whole Foods in the Bay Area that has a smoker. However they put a strange twist in the seasoning but it is the best I can find out here. They sure don't smoke the meat the same as the Whole Foods in TX does.

Luling City Market ~ Real Texas Bar-B-Que

I have never tried this place but since they ship I might try it to get my TX BBQ fix!

Has anyone ever tried this place?

Thanks for the rep who ever you are Yes we are looking into buying a smoker and then we can impress the neighbors with our good old TX BBQ skills!

Hey and then I could change professions and become the first TX BBQ Pit Master Queen and open my own BBQ shop. That sounds sort of fun. It would be the first true TX BBQ shop in the entire Bay Area! Na I think I would rather keep my day job and my profession.

It really does not seem practical for us to buy a smoker just to make TX BBQ since it is just the two of us here and neither of us eats a lot of meat. I guess we could have neighborhood BBQ's and impress them with the real deal

Last edited by TVC15; 02-15-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,633 times
Luling has pretty good BBQ.

Doing your own might be fun...and perhaps cheaper. You can order most of the spices online.

I like the idea of opening a True Texas BBQ in the Bay Area, be different.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
A co-worker ordered Cork's BBQ from Memphis to share with the group - he raved and raved about it. It was good but it wasn't all that. Funny how one person's gourmet is another person's average meal.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:09 AM

340 posts, read 802,777 times
I really enjoy the sauce at Lulings which they sell on the side also.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Burns Barbecue
8397 De Priest
281-445-7574

Best BBQ in Houston.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post
Luling has pretty good BBQ.

Doing your own might be fun...and perhaps cheaper. You can order most of the spices online.

I like the idea of opening a True Texas BBQ in the Bay Area, be different.
Yes having a True Texas BBQ diner in the Bay Area would be awesome but I like my profession.

We were talking about getting a smoker to make our own but decided that it might not be worth it since we really don't eat a lot of meat. I grill a lot but mainly fish, veggies and occasionally filet mignon.

I lived in Houston for 43 years and had never heard of Luling BBQ. My favorite place was the Goode Co BBQ on I-10. I ordered a smoked Turkey from them 2 years for ago for Christmas and had it shipped to the Bay Area. This past Thanksgiving I was in Houston and had ordered one from them while in town...it was so juicy and delicious!

Also the Whole Foods that have smokers do a really nice job as well!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Burns Barbecue
8397 De Priest
281-445-7574

Best BBQ in Houston.
I have also heard this but I have never tired them. I ran out of time when in Houston over the Thanksgiving Holidays to go by and try them out.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
A co-worker ordered Cork's BBQ from Memphis to share with the group - he raved and raved about it. It was good but it wasn't all that. Funny how one person's gourmet is another person's average meal.
So true!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM

405 posts, read 822,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You mean Corky's. That's because Corky's isn't even the best BBQ in Memphis. It's just the go-to BBQ for non-Memphians since Corky's has done a good job of franchising itself outside of Memphis. It's kind of like how since McDonald's is easy to find even in foreign countries, if a person from China or France wanted to see what the hoopla over American food/hamburgers was all about and they went to a McDonald's expecting to be impressed.

Corky's aside, being from Memphis, Memphis/pork BBQ IS BBQ to me, and there is no substitute. When I first moved to Texas, I had heard that Texas BBQ rivaled Memphis BBQ so I was eager to try it. But I found that Texas BBQ is all about beef instead of pork (makes since in cattle county), and I just don't like beef BBQ. I especially don't understand the craze for tough, rubbery, dried out, overcooked beef briskets covered in uninspired, run of the meal sauces that most Texans praise as great BBQ. But to each their own.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,552 times
You know what would probably make you tons of money?? Your BBQ shop with authentic BBQ AND selling Kolaches like we are used to! I know a lot of Californians that don't know what Kolaches are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston