U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,872 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've just moved to Houston from Boston and am looking for work in oil and gas. For personal reasons, I chose to move prior to securing a job. We've bought a home in Katy because we liked the school district and the local atmosphere.

I'm now in the midst of my job hunt and am considering a job in the Greenspoint area (I-45 at Bwy 8). My route takes me along 1-10 to Bwy 8, then up the Beltway to I-45. If I take the job, I can tailor the commute times to best avoid traffic. I'd probably drive in at about 6 AM and back at 3:30 PM. I've driven the route a few times now, and the best-case scenario seems to be a 30 minute drive in light traffic (once ingoing at 9:30 AM, once outgoing at 2 PM). I suffered through one 90 minute commute in-bound at 8 AM.

Is it realistic to hope for a 30-40 minute commute on most days, if I leave around 6 AM and return around 3:30 PM? Are there any alternate routes to Greenspoint? My home is at Grand Parkway and I-10.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 11:44 PM

2,613 posts, read 8,308,358 times
What you have seen is what you will get. Some days good, some days horrible. That would be the route to take too.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,872 times
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm mainly wondering if the commute is _usually_ consistent from day to day, at the same time. I'll adjust my schedule to find the sweet spots.

Hopefully I can find a consistent 30-40 minute drive.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,621,558 times
In case of "emergencies" (horrible wreck on I-10 etc.) you could take Barker-Cypress north to 290 and then take 290 over to the Beltway, thus avoiding I-10 alltogether. Not perfect but it is an alternative.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 28,245 times
Why not use Park N' Ride? Certainly saves wear and tear on your auto and helps ease your nerves

Old 10-20-2006, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,937 times
I would never take Barker Cypress to 290. That would add well over an hour to your commute to Greenspoint. If there's a wreck on I-10 stick it out over going up Barker Cypress to 290 (that takes about 20ish minutes) then down 290 to the beltway (depending on the time that commute right there could take 40 minutes). If you knew about a wreck you could always go to Westpark Toll road and then take it to the beltway and then the beltway to Greenspoint. Or I guess you could take Barker Cypress (or HWY6 or Eldrige) up to 529 and then 529 over to 290 (which is basically right at the beltway).

Old 11-25-2006, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 20,802 times
I used to work in Greenspoint. Allow at least an hour commute, one way. Egad! I live in Seven Lakes. Opted for a job closer to home. Best of luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:17 PM

7 posts, read 22,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryad View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm mainly wondering if the commute is _usually_ consistent from day to day, at the same time. I'll adjust my schedule to find the sweet spots.

Hopefully I can find a consistent 30-40 minute drive.
One thing you can count on in Houston is that the traffic will be IN-consistent. One days sweet spot will be the next days gridlock. Unfortunately, from a traffic perspective, you picked one of the worst places in Houston to live. Should be better in two years (?) when the I-10 construction is complete, but will always be difficult.

And in response to the poster who suggested Park N Ride, I'm not sure that's an option for your route. Plus there's no HOV lane on the Beltway, so not much advantage to busing. But you might be able to join or form a van pool with workers in your office. Might not shorten the commute, but it would save money and wear and tear on your car. (as well as your sanity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: