Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
All of Houston.

The Galleria "area", who knows what that is!
You referenced St. George place elementry in your OP, that's why I asked that. I don't think anybody in their right mind would call anywhere in the Galleria area(Woodway N, 59 S, 610 E, Yorktown W) as "the worst subivsion". That would be a area with a lot of crime or any of the neighborhoods close to the ship channel/chemical plants on the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
You've got to be kidding!! That's such a beautiful neighborhood, have you driven through it? On the periphery, there is woodrows and auto shops, but as soon as you go inside, it's all lush lawns and sidewalks. Not everyone wants a big yard to take care of and in the city, that'll cost over a million...you'll be looking at Tanglewood and Memorial prices then. Can't compare 700k house in the Galleria vs one in Katy. Location, location, location. Plus, most of those houses are quality custom built. I see on har.com there's a lot of new houses being built there right now, 1Mill and up. And the few bungalows left are under contract, probably for tear down.

These two are about $600-700k on the market now. Not too shabby!
5333 Navarro St, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com
5330 Val Verde St, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com

Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
I had to Google it.

OP you say subdivision and yet never name the actual place. Houston is so big no one knows every place right off. I kept reading to see if you actually named it and you don't.

So you're officially talking about Lamar Terrace

The houses houstonfan listed (thank you for that because I was like WTF is the name of this subdivision) are pretty. I'm a suburb fan but I'd so live there. Especially that Navarro St house. Very nice.

Not a whole lot of yard but enough IMO for the location and the houses around those look nice and sq ft wise I wouldn't mind parking it there after work.

Now something $700k in the Heights for 1500 sq ft hell to the F no.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
I'd rather live in the Heights than by the Galleria.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
You've got to be kidding!! That's such a beautiful neighborhood, have you driven through it? On the periphery, there is woodrows and auto shops, but as soon as you go inside, it's all lush lawns and sidewalks. Not everyone wants a big yard to take care of and in the city, that'll cost over a million...you'll be looking at Tanglewood and Memorial prices then. Can't compare 700k house in the Galleria vs one in Katy. Location, location, location. Plus, most of those houses are quality custom built. I see on har.com there's a lot of new houses being built there right now, 1Mill and up. And the few bungalows left are under contract, probably for tear down.

These two are about $600-700k on the market now. Not too shabby!
5333 Navarro St, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com
5330 Val Verde St, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com
I have driven through it. For a high-end neighborhood, it's just too weird looking for me.

It's as if it's trying to be suburban and urban at the same time.

Meanwhile, those bungalows aren't going anywhere (at least that's what one of the teachers told me).

They do look high quality, no doubt about that.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I had to Google it.

OP you say subdivision and yet never name the actual place. Houston is so big no one knows every place right off. I kept reading to see if you actually named it and you don't.

So you're officially talking about Lamar Terrace

The houses houstonfan listed (thank you for that because I was like WTF is the name of this subdivision) are pretty. I'm a suburb fan but I'd so live there. Especially that Navarro St house. Very nice.

Not a whole lot of yard but enough IMO for the location and the houses around those look nice and sq ft wise I wouldn't mind parking it there after work.

Now something $700k in the Heights for 1500 sq ft hell to the F no.
I realized it was the old Lamar Terrace after I posted.

No wonder you are all confused and wondering what in the world I'm talking about.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Have you been to this subdivision? Your mind might get changed.

We are talking views of shacks and people getting drunk at Woodrow's.
I live in the Broadstone Lofts a few blocks away so yes I know the area very well. If I could afford to live in St. George you better believe I'd be there in a heartbeat. It may not be as tidy as some of the master planned communities in Katy but if I had a million dollars I would chose to live there than way out in the burbs to keep my commute to work under 10 minutes like it is now.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That neighborhood is in a prime location. Walking distance from The Galleria. I definitely wouldn't consider it the worse neighborhood in Houston.

I can't think of any high end neighborhood that I would put on a worst list. There is a reason why it's high end. Because it's so desirable.

Everyone doesn't want to live in a neighborhood resembling The Woodlands or Sugar Land. Some people value location over a huge yard and views of a pond.
A fake pond with water pumped to resemble some kind of geyser.... LOL. AH GOTS SO MANY SQUARE FEETZ

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times
Those new style houses are called McMansions. I have no idea why they don't just build retro styled ones.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 16,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I can think out a few decent neighborhoods in the last 15 to 20 yrs that have good really down hill 2 best examples

Fondren South West

Inwood Forest

These 2 neighborhood went down hill big crappy apt complex that bring the riff raff on the major street that border these 1 neightborhoos zoning would have kept this from happening
As far as Inwood Forest is concerned - they tore down the worst apartment complexes, and it's actually looking pretty good right now! There are many organizations working right now on improving this area, parks & waterways, etc

Near Northwest Livable Centers Study :: H-GAC
Greater Inwood Partnership Antoine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston