Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM

538 posts, read 1,361,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Home invasions seem to be rare for the entire metro area - - which is huge. When you hear about them, there always seems to be more to the story: some kind of bad business relationship, people know each other, small business owners who are known to keep lots of $ at their home, etc. It is a crime with high risks for the criminal in Texas....
This.

If criminals are going to go to the extreme of kicking in a door, or pushing their way inside when someone answers, etc., I'd say it's because they know something about what's inside, or about the people living there.

I've lived here my entire life. My parents live in The Woodlands. My husband is employed with the City of Conroe.

My house being burglarized scares me, but only because I'm afraid of what will happen to my dogs. Stuff can be replaced. I have insurance for that. The last type of crime I'm worried about, is a home invasion. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think most criminals would rather break into a house when they're least likely to get caught.

Money and stuff attract criminals. You're not going to find a place that is crime-free, but it is possible to find an area with lower crime, and I'd say The Woodlands was one of those areas. As it grows, crime will grow with it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,370,465 times
[quote=marksmu;28474640]Crime statistics would disagree with you. Statistically speaking Friendswood has the lowest crime rate in the greater metro area....but it does not matter where you live - Criminals dont care. Most crime is opportunity crime - if you leave your car unlocked they go through your stuff - if they can see something they want, they break a window and take it.

Most of the crime is pure opportunity crime. Unless you are a business owner/manager who is responsible for night deposits or you frequent a bank every day on the way home to work I would not worry at all about a home invasion.

Cars in driveways get broken into in the ghetto, in the woodlands, in river oaks, in gated subdivisions, in memorial, in Friendswood, and in the middle of nowhere

If you dont want to be the victim of a crime, then just do common sense things to protect yourself - dont do the same routine every day, every week, dont park in your driveway - use your garage - lock your doors, set your alarms, keep lights on, and talk to neighbors.

Its really quite simple.

The Woodlands is also three times bigger than Friendswood proper so that's really not a comparison.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post

The Woodlands is also three times bigger than Friendswood proper so that's really not a comparison.
Yes, the woodlands is 3x larger, but the crime rate is reported in crimes per 1,000 residents so the comparisons are still valid. The woodlands has more crime for every 1000 people than Friendswood does per 1000 people. Its how all crime stats are reported...its not number of crimes for the year - its number per xxxx people.

I don't think the woodlands is even remotely dangerous, its a great safe place to live, with good schools, and good people - but in pure "statistics land" Friendswood is safer.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
It's always playing the odds.

I have lived in Houston for 39 years and never been burglarized (knock on wood), much less a home invasion.

I have relatives that live in little podunk towns in the middle of America, and they have (burglary, not home invasion). Based on that anecdotal evidence, I am safer in my large city. Based on statistics in some of those towns, I am still safer here. Yet, I could get burglarized tomorrow. No place is crime free.

It's like others have stated, a home invasion has to be worth the risk - like the invaders know the home owner keeps large amounts of money on hand, unlike most people. They are not going to bust in for your ipad.

Read cd with a grain of salt. According to some of the more hysterical posts, we all get robbed and killed several times a day. I have no idea why some people like to do that.

Your realtor didn't get mention your possibilty of a home invasion for the same reason she didn't give odds on if your house would be hit by a meteor.

Whether you live in Houston or Bugtussle, Iowa - don't leave your laptop in plain sight in your car, lock your car and house, don't wander away from your purse in the supermarket, etc. etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM

18 posts, read 45,843 times
Okay, that makes me feel alot better. I was getting the impression from some people that TW is starting to go down-hill and that it was a prime target for theives and such. But now that you've set it straight, it makes more sense.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:34 PM

538 posts, read 1,361,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi4Kids View Post
Okay, that makes me feel alot better. I was getting the impression from some people that TW is starting to go down-hill and that it was a prime target for theives and such. But now that you've set it straight, it makes more sense.
No, they'd be wrong. You've got to keep in mind, the mall is there too. Crime statistics are most likely going to have thefts from the mall, including thefts from cars in the parking lot, purse snatchings, etc., on top of crime committed against homeowners.

I personally think ALL malls are prime targets for thieves, simply because the pickings are so plentiful. I don't care if I'm at Greenspoint, or River Oaks, I'm watching my back, holding my purse close, making sure my car is locked, and everything else I can possibly do to protect myself. The Woodlands Mall is no different, and may even be more appealing because of the area 'money'.

Let's face it - thieves are lazy slobs. They're going to go where the money is, and even then, they're going to look for the easiest target.

There are some areas where Houstonians know are crime-ridden, but the Woodlands is not one of them. Is there crime? Absolutely. Is it out of control? No. Will you find a crime-free area in the Houston metro area? No... but if you do, let me know about it.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
[quote=colcat;28480826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Crime statistics would disagree with you. Statistically speaking Friendswood has the lowest crime rate in the greater metro area....but it does not matter where you live - Criminals dont care. Most crime is opportunity crime - if you leave your car unlocked they go through your stuff - if they can see something they want, they break a window and take it.

Most of the crime is pure opportunity crime. Unless you are a business owner/manager who is responsible for night deposits or you frequent a bank every day on the way home to work I would not worry at all about a home invasion.

Cars in driveways get broken into in the ghetto, in the woodlands, in river oaks, in gated subdivisions, in memorial, in Friendswood, and in the middle of nowhere

If you dont want to be the victim of a crime, then just do common sense things to protect yourself - dont do the same routine every day, every week, dont park in your driveway - use your garage - lock your doors, set your alarms, keep lights on, and talk to neighbors.

Its really quite simple.

Here's the deal, you can't say for certain that the woodlands or any other area is the safest in houston. To do so would perpetuate a falsehood. What you can promise is that the woodlands is one of the safer areas (yes there are several safe areas in the greater houston area). Even a very safe area could have a rare incident of the expendables busting in. :-) However all kidding aside the woodlands is one of the safer areas. Me personally, I prefer to live in small areas that have their own police force and not where service is Harris county sheriff or constable, or houston police. Not that those are bad but the areas they cover are too large and they just don't have the manpower to give you the pronto service of smaller town police forces.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
[quote=texas7;28482797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post

Here's the deal, you can't say for certain that the woodlands or any other area is the safest in houston. To do so would perpetuate a falsehood. What you can promise is that the woodlands is one of the safer areas (yes there are several safe areas in the greater houston area). Even a very safe area could have a rare incident of the expendables busting in. :-) However all kidding aside the woodlands is one of the safer areas. Me personally, I prefer to live in small areas that have their own police force and not where service is Harris county sheriff or constable, or houston police. Not that those are bad but the areas they cover are too large and they just don't have the manpower to give you the pronto service of smaller town police forces.
THIS is what I believe Friendswood and Sugar Land have going for them. I wonder if the Woodlands will eventually incorporate or if Katy or Fulshear can or will grow their respective borders to encompass all the unincorporated high growth areas.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
This Web site is sort of interesting; however, it doesn't show all the crimes (large or small). A friend in the Woodlands was burglarized recently and it doesn't show on this but what it does show is that you can't ever get away from the pervy sex offenders. But you can look at others areas and it also shows a lot of other crimes. Lots of good neighborhoods around town. https://www.crimereports.com

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 45,843 times
Wait, Texas7, are you saying that there's a good ammount of sex offenders living in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston