Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,400,676 times

Advertisements

Not only due to it being my home town but the fact that Houston has a lot of RANGE and one of the best Medical Centers on this planet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,107,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
thought it was quite funny. Especially when the harmonica sound started and he pulled it out of his pocket as if to check if it was playing itself.
Well, it aint this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZzEXhlhfg

Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
You do know that the Dean Martin/ Houston bit was a spoof right? It was comedy, lighten up

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,239,825 times
I love Houston because it carries an identity that is different from the rest of the state.

It defines Texas as an international place. Not only is this present in the diversity in people, but also has a diversity of landscapes from Piney Woods, Prarie, and Beachfront.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 AM

178 posts, read 376,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I love Houston because it carries an identity that is different from the rest of the state.

It defines Texas as an international place. Not only is this present in the diversity in people, but also has a diversity of landscapes from Piney Woods, Prarie, and Beachfront.

Yes. This is something no other city in Texas will ever be able to accomplish

Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 AM

700 posts, read 1,223,391 times
The weather is warm/hot. Always thought it would be great to live in a city/state where it gets cold and snows. Boy was I wrong. Spending five to twenty minutes scrapping off snow in 10 degree weather and waiting for my defroster to defrost the windows is no fun. Driving on icy roads and watching my rwd vehicle slipping and sliding at 20 mph is nuts.

For some odd reason, my Subaru isn't built for the cold. Windows won't roll down when it's too cold out and the transmission gets sticky (MT). Seat heaters is a blessing in the winter months, nearly useless in Houston.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 AM

339 posts, read 798,021 times
Be able to cycle in Houston (where I live). For the past 6 years since I took cycling (riding bike/hike paths), I have not missed more than 2 days except when I'm on vacation and no pain on my legs, actually I get pain on my elbow for writing, or typing too much. Even though Houston is flat, you can still get a workout by riding longer, or riding against the wind like recently. I'm so blessed to live where I live and to be able to do this.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 AM

7 posts, read 7,077 times
Hey H-Town Lovers! I hope you don't me stopping by. I come in peace lol....

Awww yall make me wanna pack a backpack, jump on a plane, train,or automobile to get out there for good!

I'm a NY'R (so over it)! I've been to Atl (love it)! But I've never been to H-Town and in all honesty, it's at the top of my list...I've heard nice things but wasn't quite sure but after reading your comments, I feel enthused, encouraged just pumped up to come out there for real! I sense they're all coming from a genuine place.

Landing a gig and an apt from afar seems to be the biggest dilemma. Of course it's imperative to visit but one thing I recognize when it comes to relocating is that Property mgt companies require proof of employment of course. Employers/recruiters mainly want to deal w/folks that are local. W/that said does anyone have any tips on getting sublets, extended stay motels/hotels in a nice safe neighborhood? Something relatively close to business parks/various businesses, maybe the Lite Rail? Some where around $800/mo. This way I'd be able to land an Administrative Gig through one of the many employment agencies that I'm registered with, take advantage of visiting different parts of the city seeing the areas that I feel most comfortable in etc....

I heard Pearland, Katy, Woodlands,Sugarland, Friendswood are nice places to live....

Hope to hear from yall soon....I guess you can send me a P.M.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,107,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You do know that the Dean Martin/ Houston bit was a spoof right? It was comedy, lighten up
Oh? What, exactly, was Deano spoofing?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
Houston is the home to many people from all over the world. What strikes me the most, is people's desire to love and make this city better in any way. I love everything about Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston