Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbud View Post
As someone who lived at the condos off 59 and Hillcroft (behind the old Celebration Station) from 2000-2010, I can attest to this assessment. I was a poor student who had to pay her own rent and expenses and wanted something affordable with easy highway access so that I could reach UH. I am a young female who walks her dogs every day, BTW, and though I was not dumb enough to venture out after dark, the experience wasn't as bad as what some of these folks on the forum are saying. I locked doors, befriended my neighbors and exercised big-city safety precautions. I never once felt threatened or came close to actually being physically threatened.

In 2010, I purchased in Bellaire (the city), and in all honesty, yes, it does "feel" safer, but we should try to not bottle up Sharpstown as being a gang-infested, bullet-ridden neighborhood based on the daily beat news. Sharpstown is someone's home, where the majority of hardworking folks are raising families--it's sad to see so many folks slam this part of town.
Haha you only moved a few blocks from your humble beginnings. These guys who moved a lot further away get to experience more from their daily lives by waking up a lot earlier. They got awesome gatherings over there sharing stories with other survivors of simpler houston living. The horror stories of freeway access and stuff

Last edited by GTRdad; 10-23-2013 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 AM

98 posts, read 204,183 times
Sharpstown still has a lot left to be desired, but I think some pockets will change for the better. Grandparents are original buyers over by Jane Long Middle School, my mom grew up there, and I have spent a lot of time in the area. Over the decades, while it still has a looooong way to go, I can see some changes. For example, two houses on my grandparent's street have been torn down and replaced with larger houses, taking up most of the lot. The houses in their neighborhood are small, but the lots are a decent size. Plus, that side of Sharpstown isn't too far from Bellaire, so I can see it moving their direction soon. My grandparents are set on staying there, hoping that their house value will increase while they are still alive, partially bc their parents and grandparents moved out of West U and the Heights before both areas skyrocketed.

I remember growing up in the 90's and going to Fitzgerald's and some other venues off Washington - my parents freaking out bc that area was so bad. Plus, you didn't even set foot in Midtown back then if you could help it. If the rise in population continues, people will be looking for the next area with still affordable prices.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,858 times
I agree with aimeenp. Sharpstown has quite a ways to go, but there's always hope and potential, as with any place or person.

...I recall my wealthier friends being in fear when they dropped off their dogs for on their way out of town. I called the area home for a decade, so I brushed off the why-are-you-living-here comments for a very long while. Now that I've so called upgraded to an area less than 3 miles from my "scary" condo, I still don't see what the big deal about Sharptown is. Maybe I'm just impervious to all the crime statistics because I didn't become a statistic, thankfully. Whatever the case, I think it's important to be respectful to every person regardless of which side of the railroad the other person happens to live at, so to speak. Sometimes these forums can get ugly because folks tend to defend their turf (neighborhood) at the expense of others.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:37 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
It really isn't a bad neighborhood. The perception is worse than it really is, perception =/= reality. I literally spent 2 decades there and as a kid I walked around at all hours of the night. Never had an issue.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM

105 posts, read 168,802 times
Some area are better then others, actually there is areas where flippers are flipping houses to the dinks!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 11,584 times
I currently live in the Sharptown area in a house. The area where I am is pretty safe and don't hear or see a lot of crime. I'm closer to the Mary Bates and Bellairee area. It really depends on what part of Sharpstown you are looking . I wouldn't recommend any apartment living is a big NO NO .

Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Yeah it can happen anywhere, even Sharpstown
Mother, 2 sons terrorized during home invasion in SW Houston | News - Home

Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yeah it can happen anywhere, even Memorial.

Father, son held at gunpoint during home invasion in Memorial area | abc13.com

Old 11-01-2013, 02:18 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
You had to search back to 2011 to find a story? Most likely there are more recent stories in the search engine for "memorial area" problems, as the story states. I mean that only stretches from Memorial Park to Hwy6, on either side of the freeway. And by Memorial Park is where this incident happened.

But yeah, I see what you're saying. Memorial and Sharpstown are basically interchangeable in every way.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 11-01-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 02:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post

oh no you didnt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston