Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Actually Greenspoint has an alright office market. The Exxon move will have to be digested, but they'll be OK. The big problem with that area is the total lack of any single family housing beyond entry-level (under $130,000).

Why is METRO an issue? The nicer parts of the city inside the Beltway, and the outer part of Memorial outside the Beltway, all have bus lines. It's not like it's been the end of the world for them, instead they seem to be thriving. Would it be bad if METRO provided local bus service (as opposed to park and ride) to the suburban areas of Harris County currently without it, like Cypress, Katy, Clear Lake, Atascocita etc.?
Some bad news for Greenspoint today. CDC Houston announced details of Town Center Springwoods Village. Southwestern Energy Co. announced they will move their offices to the new development transferring their 1,000 employees out of their Greenspoint area headquarters. How many others will follow?

Springwoods Village Town Center plans announced - Your Houston News: News

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM

235 posts, read 360,353 times
Quote:
Why is METRO an issue? The nicer parts of the city inside the Beltway, and the outer part of Memorial outside the Beltway, all have bus lines. It's not like it's been the end of the world for them, instead they seem to be thriving. Would it be bad if METRO provided local bus service (as opposed to park and ride) to the suburban areas of Harris County currently without it, like Cypress, Katy, Clear Lake, Atascocita etc.?
My thoughts as well.

There are "bus lines" in Memorial and the homes sell in the millions of dollars.

One of the biggest draw backs in Houston I see is the lack of a decent transit system. Unless you are lucky enough to live within walking distance to METRO, you are basically stuck driving everywhere. Many places don't even have functioning sidewalks.

But I will admit I have heard other people here complain about the dreaded "METRO" as if it is the start of the downfall of the neighborhood. Perhaps it is based on lingering racial issues here (all the people I have ever heard make such statements are white). Perhaps it is simply the fact that they have never lived in a real city with real transit.

One question that I have always wondered about: Are the burglars really going to use the bus to get to and from their target? Getting back on the bus with a television under one's arm would be a little impractical I would think.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
My guess is that the anti-local-bus folks think that having such service will allow people who don't have enough income for a car to live in their area. And those lower income folks will be associated with folks who (1) degrade public school performance and/or (2) cause crime.

It's not that bus riders themselves are using the bus to actually commit crimes. Although I did hear one real estate agent once who was convinced that auto thieves used the 1960 bus to come in and steal cars.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Sharpstown was never meant to be "like" the Heights, but if you like mid-century fixer uppers Sharpstown and Braeburn will seem like heaven to you. In many ways those neighborhoods,(Sharpstown/Braeburn) look a lot like Those off of TC Jester that are so hot now...
braeburn and large sections of Sharpstown look identical to areas off TC Jester that people are crazy about. in some areas Sharpstown looks a little more kept up. Im just going to say it - a lot of the drive for real estate is from out of towners and people moving in from the suburbs. for a looooong time this area of houston (encompassing Sharpstown) has been thought of as predominantly black. that is why it is not perceived the same or completely overlooked. aint saying its right or not completely stupid but i hear it a lot. i got and heard the same kind of thing when moving to Westbury...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post

There are "bus lines" in Memorial and the homes sell in the millions of dollars.

We don't have sidewalks either, and the kids seem to get around just fine. As do the adult walkers and joggers.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Hmm, I thought the overall perception of this area was a heavy low-income Hispanic demographic, especially after the mall converted to PlazAmericas. Which of course, probably had the same impact as the perception it was predominantly black.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Are builders level houses and building lots of new ones in Sharpstown? I honestly have not been over there in many years. If not then the area is not really coming back. When builders hit your area that is a sign the area is going to get a lot better.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Sharpstown was never meant to be "like" the Heights, but if you like mid-century fixer uppers Sharpstown and Braeburn will seem like heaven to you. In many ways those neighborhoods,(Sharpstown/Braeburn) look a lot like Those off of TC Jester that are so hot now...
Good riddance. Who wants it to be like the heights anyway? The heights is nice in a fake, plastic way. Any soul that the area had is long gone. The goal for sharpstown is to continue the beautification process, force slumlords to be responsible for their properties, continuing the expansion of Chinatown within the beltway, and continuing to keep it affordable so that property taxes don't rise too much. This is completely possible and there is an ongoing effort to do so.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Hmm, I thought the overall perception of this area was a heavy low-income Hispanic demographic, especially after the mall converted to PlazAmericas. Which of course, probably had the same impact as the perception it was predominantly black.
people thinking SW houston is predominantly black and carry negative connotations of it dont know what it is like now. when i was growing up this was a black part of town. it was "katrina refugees" that numbnuts carried on about for years. they still think the same thing. westbury has always been predominately white - but nobody i talked to outside of my immediate friends had any idea of that. i might as well have said i was moving to africa. its ridiculous. i describe where i live (north/sw houston) to people i meet/work with and they ALWAYS ask "do you feel safe there"

wtf? i grew up in KW. people i went to HS most of them carry the same understanding of houston as their parents did. which is very little

my posts just makes me sound like a klan member or something. it is better understood with my previous post. it is why i believe some of the big development is happening on the north/west side of the city as opposed to SW. not that SW isnt really developing. homes here are selling in the 300,000s too, but it is spoken of completely differently see: Sharpstown

Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Are builders level houses and building lots of new ones in Sharpstown? I honestly have not been over there in many years. If not then the area is not really coming back. When builders hit your area that is a sign the area is going to get a lot better.
Yes there is new construction. Though not at the level as in bellaire, sharpstown section 1 specifically has seen new construction, however these properties tend to be private and not for sale. On the upside there are a ton of renovated homes being sold every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston