Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

Is Houston starting to really shape up and becoming more cohesive in the city. I was riding from south Scott in the Trey and noticed all the new construction/stadiums at UH, southeast lightrail line. I then followed that up which led me through the new Eastside developments like Dynamo and the new east light rail line.

I took a ride down Main Street, which they just completed the new Main Street bridge for lightrail and even have a portion of it elevated near UHD. Then driving down Main Street, although it looks like remainders of what used to be hopping clubs last decade, there are several building conversions happening looking like there is the start of something new.

And last to mention, Midtown Houston has several new projects in the works like : The Hanover, Broadstone Midtown, Pearl Midtown, Crosspoint properties project, several new bars and grilles, and other new residence places just popping up. Could Midtown be catching up to Uptown Dallas?

I may be getting overly excited, but once the new light rail lines open up and everything finishes construction, I think Houston things will really shape up amd come together in terms of conhesiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM

178 posts, read 379,604 times
Yeah Houston is coming off the stove in every aspect. I was thinking that today as I was driving.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Go forward in time and imagine this city in 20 years.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
I agree. It's happening relatively quickly. I think it's actually happening so fast that many people who haven't ventured into the inner city, still probably think it's mostly full slums. I'm sure most people who haven't been to many of these areas in the past 3-5 years would be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I agree. It's happening relatively quickly. I think it's actually happening so fast that many people who haven't ventured into the inner city, still probably think it's mostly full slums. I'm sure most people who haven't been to many of these areas in the past 3-5 years would be pleasantly surprised.
That's exactly what i'm saying. Scott Street used to look like a 3rd World Country in every direction over by U of H. Now i'm starting to some kind of renewal to the area, most notably with the scott street redo with the lightrail, and the new developments over there of U of H.

I hope there's some noteworthy plans with the plans to revamp the Houston Pavilions. Maybe they might actually decide to try to incorporate residences within the area (wishful thinking! )

I was under the impression that progress just came to a complete hault ever since the University line was scrapped. But this city is still progressing quite nicely. Especially over there by the Main Street bridge where the portion of the Red Line will be elevated. And all line expansions go alot further than i expected. I only wish the Red Line could be taken all the way up to IAH instead of just North Line. IT wouldve made better sense to connect points of interests instead of having it stopped at a glorified parking lot.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Connecting it further North would have been huge, but it probably would of cost more than all the light rails combined. They could still have some type of piggy-back system with Metro buses going all the way to the airport, we'll see.

And yea, the construction at UH is crazy. Plus the new stadium going up there, that should make a difference. The area between UH and Midtown is slowly changing, very slowly. But it's prime for growth. Too many older folk there who don't want to leave. EaDo will likely be the next Midtown with all the townhome developments going up. It should develop a little Montrose vibe too. Fun things to come!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
run the original residents off, jack up land values and attract the former resident who ran to the suburbs back....but unfortunately, that resident will not participate in community events nor attend schools out there so basically they're just owning a house but adding no value to the area

Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
run the original residents off, jack up land values and attract the former resident who ran to the suburbs back....but unfortunately, that resident will not participate in community events nor attend schools out there so basically they're just owning a house but adding no value to the area

I'm definitely not talking about doing that. The residents make the neighborhoods and give them their eclectic charm. Fortunately, you don't see this happening a whole lot in the Trey.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
It's nothing our local government is doing, rather we can give more credit to the Federal Gov't. Obama and the Fed have put the rest of the country in the proverbial ****ter. Texas is more self-reliant and thus is the lone bright spot in what otherwise is a miserable US economy. People are flocking here to escape the misery and embrace opportunity in hopes to experience what's left of the "American Dream".

Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
It's nothing our local government is doing, rather we can give more credit to the Federal Gov't. Obama and the Fed have put the rest of the country in the proverbial ****ter. Texas is more self-reliant and thus is the lone bright spot in what otherwise is a miserable US economy. People are flocking here to escape the misery and embrace opportunity in hopes to experience what's left of the "American Dream".
Hmmm the Texas Ego is strong in this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: