Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 PM

455 posts, read 525,209 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about the OP at this point ... this last post looks like spam on a 2 year old thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Pieces of granite are sold like pieces of carpet left overs. They too are called remnants. Problem is most granite dealers will charge too much. You see they might sell a kitchen and make all their cuts from two 105" x 54" slabs and have a good sized piece left over. The purchaser paid the per SF price for the both slabs......EVEN THOUGH they did not use both slabs. The consumer will never know though because the slabs were fabricated in a shop, the consumer only sees the finished product.

Now these fully paid for slabs have a piece left over and it will go into the remnant bin to be sold for small projects. The dealer will sell this remnants for the same SF price as the big slab did. I call it rape but the granite dealers call it business. That's why you got quotes for $300 to 500 for that little piece.

The $125 for the 8' slab you found was from China. You really don't want that toxic trash in your house. While Chinese granite has not killed anyone yet, Chinese cabinets do as there are several documented deaths of children from Chinese cabinet exposure. You see these cabinets are infested with such high levels of lead, sulfur and formaldehyde that your family's health is at great risk and young children are sure to contract asthma from this exposure. California has banned the sale of all China made cabinets in their state already.

Also know that there are all kinds of pricing tricks used to fool the consumer. Seems everywhere we drive there is a bandit sign sitting on the road advertising all sorts of very low SF prices. If you see a granite SF price under $20, just know that does not include sink, faucet and cooktop cut outs as well as finishing ends. By the time all the hidden fees are included you're paying $30 give or take per SF.

I know you're just looking for a piece but I want you to know how the game works so you might be able to negotiate and be a educated consumer

Good luck
How exactly do dangerous levels of lead, sulfur, and formaldehyde end up in all these Chinese products? I don't get it....are these people really that sick and demented to add harmful substances to hurt people? I don't understand how these substances get there in the first place without being intentionally added.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 AM

35 posts, read 40,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigTramp View Post
I would like to replace the top of my desk with a piece of Granite or Marble. (24"x57")
I was hoping to find a vendor that would sell me the piece without fancy edging for a reasonable price.
The couple of quotes I got over the the phone ranged from $400 - $600.

Does anyone know of a source of stone at a reasonable price? (less than $200)... or am I dreaming??
Thanks in advance
Think you're dreaming.... Marble material is costly, so your best bet is to stick with granite. Even f you're looking for a small square footage the material is not cheap. You'll save a lot of money if you install it yourself and do your own edging. Don't recommend unless you know how sand the granite and have the correct tools. Also a piece of granite without edges might not look good, but most importantly is dangerous because of the sharp edging.

Granite prices will range depending of color selection. You've two types low variation colors and high movement colors. Low variation are more of a uniform colors and less $$. Any where you cut from the slab the piece would look the same. While high movement have more character in the stone. If you cut a piece from one comer to another corner from the same slab it would look very different, because is in the nature of the rock. Empire Countertops might help you in giving an estimate 6690 North Sam Houston Parkway West Houston, TX 77064

Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
I wouldn't worry about the OP at this point ... this last post looks like spam on a 2 year old thread.
As kindly brought to our attention by Sonic0boom, this is a 2-year-old thread, 2013.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The LOL_gamer View Post
Call 403-891-8261.

He always have small piece with manufacturing price

I got a similar stone for $200 dollars plus tax
If this weren't CD, that number would be spammed into oblivion, completely legit first time poster revising a 2 year old thread.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,025 times
Still looking for cheap granite? Email [email]soozec@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne429 View Post
Still looking for cheap granite? Email soozec@yahoo.com
Boy, if they haven't found cheap granite in 3 years, I bet they were waiting for you to post here and will be emailing you shortly.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM

38 posts, read 45,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Pieces of granite are sold like pieces of carpet left overs. They too are called remnants. Problem is most granite dealers will charge too much. You see they might sell a kitchen and make all their cuts from two 105" x 54" slabs and have a good sized piece left over. The purchaser paid the per SF price for the both slabs......EVEN THOUGH they did not use both slabs. The consumer will never know though because the slabs were fabricated in a shop, the consumer only sees the finished product.

Now these fully paid for slabs have a piece left over and it will go into the remnant bin to be sold for small projects. The dealer will sell this remnants for the same SF price as the big slab did. I call it rape but the granite dealers call it business. That's why you got quotes for $300 to 500 for that little piece.

The $125 for the 8' slab you found was from China. You really don't want that toxic trash in your house. While Chinese granite has not killed anyone yet, Chinese cabinets do as there are several documented deaths of children from Chinese cabinet exposure. You see these cabinets are infested with such high levels of lead, sulfur and formaldehyde that your family's health is at great risk and young children are sure to contract asthma from this exposure. California has banned the sale of all China made cabinets in their state already.

Also know that there are all kinds of pricing tricks used to fool the consumer. Seems everywhere we drive there is a bandit sign sitting on the road advertising all sorts of very low SF prices. If you see a granite SF price under $20, just know that does not include sink, faucet and cooktop cut outs as well as finishing ends. By the time all the hidden fees are included you're paying $30 give or take per SF.

I know you're just looking for a piece but I want you to know how the game works so you might be able to negotiate and be a educated consumer

Good luck

You are completely off on your assertion regarding your comments about "Chinese" granite. You are comparing two things that are not even similar in composition. Chinese cabinets may contain chemicals (one of them is higher levels of formaldehyde) in particle boards or MDF compared to what is produced here or in other countries. That is a valid concern.

Granite and other non-synthetic surfaces are naturally occurring rock formations (typically metamorphic) that have nothing to do with what you mention in regards to China. The composition of each rock body may vary geographically which accounts for the high variation that you see. Pricing is mostly a function of the origin and demand.

Best of luck in your understanding of the game, but just be careful of your "facts".

Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM

837 posts, read 1,119,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perro_peluo View Post
You are completely off on your assertion regarding your comments about "Chinese" granite. You are comparing two things that are not even similar in composition. Chinese cabinets may contain chemicals (one of them is higher levels of formaldehyde) in particle boards or MDF compared to what is produced here or in other countries. That is a valid concern.

Granite and other non-synthetic surfaces are naturally occurring rock formations (typically metamorphic) that have nothing to do with what you mention in regards to China. The composition of each rock body may vary geographically which accounts for the high variation that you see. Pricing is mostly a function of the origin and demand.

Best of luck in your understanding of the game, but just be careful of your "facts".

I did some searching about granite and almost all granite and natural stone have some level of radioactive minerals in them. Granite gives off radiation. Also the leaching and erosion of granite produces most of the uranium ore deposits in the world.

The Chinese enacted standards for radiation in granite countertops. They grade granite A, B, C and below C. They only use grade A inside the home and allow export of the other grades. So I would not want granite from China in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston