Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times

Advertisements

Houston Leads Largest Metro Areas on Job Creation Index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
And yet people are having difficulty finding jobs. Media and reality continue to clash.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
And yet people are having difficulty finding jobs. Media and reality continue to clash.
No. I think the job market is very nuanced. For one, I think a lot of people, especially those with families with kids in school are reluctant to take jobs that would either force them to move or double their commute time.

Second, the jobs in Houston, like any place really, are in certain sectors. I don't know anyone having trouble finding work in the oil and gas sector. Medical is strong as is the port of Houston. But if you are looking for a marketing job, or some artistic designer job, then yes, it might be harder for you. The jobs are here. The problem is because they pay well in those sectors, the competition is fierce. That's on you, not Houston.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Great, that means I can move here without many marketable skills and get a great job. Point me to the clerical and manual unskilled labor jobs that pay 70k per year.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
Depends on what kind of job you are looking for.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
I struggle with this. And whatever I say people will argue it. First I see the most congested roads on earth and crowded malls full of shoppers here. You can't even drive anywhere without planning what time of day it is because it's so bad out there on our dilapidated functionally obsolete roads. This suggests people are working. On the other hand I'm very involved in food ministry and have seen the lines grow and grow and grow........all during current times when we hear Houston is prospering. I also continue to see unemployment lines grow longer by the day. I also see construction trades suffering despite the houses we see going up in Katy area. I also see stores closing up shop forever, some who have been in business for a very long time.

If you look in the job boards you see many jobs that no one can do. Right now there are a hundred jobs for plastic injection molding. What the hell is that? When was the last time you seen a school offer this class? Never happened. When was the last time your kids said Daddy I want to grow up and be a plastic injection molder. Never happened.

Yes there appears to be many jobs but many are jobs no one is trained for. Does that make us stupid? No. But when we read about an abundance of jobs here it's really partly false. Is there a lack of unqualified workers in Houston? Oh yes indeed. But do any of you know anyone who does plastic injection molding? That's just a silly example. There are many jobs advertised now that no one anywhere is qualified to do.

I need wood/furniture finishers. That art of a trade has been dead for 2 dozen years. No little boy grows up and says I want to be a wood/furniture finisher Daddy. It's just another trade that there are no qualified workers for. Yet I have people applying who have never done it in their life and beg to be trained.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Great, that means I can move here without many marketable skills and get a great job. Point me to the clerical and manual unskilled labor jobs that pay 70k per year.
Dunno if I can point you there but I can point you to thousands of non living wage minimum wage crap. It seems like these dumb studies they do don't use pay scales as criteria for their silly studies.

It seems we have more jobs then other areas of the country but they are all minimum wage.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
As always noted on this forum, your job opportunities match your skillset.

On a side note, I wish students would research job opportunities before selecting a major.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I struggle with this. And whatever I say people will argue it. First I see the most congested roads on earth and crowded malls full of shoppers here. You can't even drive anywhere without planning what time of day it is because it's so bad out there on our dilapidated functionally obsolete roads. This suggests people are working. On the other hand I'm very involved in food ministry and have seen the lines grow and grow and grow........all during current times when we hear Houston is prospering. I also continue to see unemployment lines grow longer by the day. I also see construction trades suffering despite the houses we see going up in Katy area. I also see stores closing up shop forever, some who have been in business for a very long time.

If you look in the job boards you see many jobs that no one can do. Right now there are a hundred jobs for plastic injection molding. What the hell is that? When was the last time you seen a school offer this class? Never happened. When was the last time your kids said Daddy I want to grow up and be a plastic injection molder. Never happened.

Yes there appears to be many jobs but many are jobs no one is trained for. Does that make us stupid? No. But when we read about an abundance of jobs here it's really partly false. Is there a lack of unqualified workers in Houston? Oh yes indeed. But do any of you know anyone who does plastic injection molding? That's just a silly example. There are many jobs advertised now that no one anywhere is qualified to do.

I need wood/furniture finishers. That art of a trade has been dead for 2 dozen years. No little boy grows up and says I want to be a wood/furniture finisher Daddy. It's just another trade that there are no qualified workers for. Yet I have people applying who have never done it in their life and beg to be trained.
This argument is old. People were saying in this 90's, 80's, 60's, 30's. Anytime change happens no one is ever prepared for it. Society tends to award the planners, the early adapters, the prepared. Like the other poster said, what is your skill set? Did you major in cultural women's studies? What were you doing in your early 20's? Drinking? I'm sure the guy who use to manufacture buggy whips was not to keen on hearing about Henry Ford.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
As always noted on this forum, your job opportunities match your skillset.

On a side note, I wish students would research job opportunities before selecting a major.
Yes true but what kids want to take up construction trades in school when the current and future condition is so bleak. Besides......kids don't want to get their hands dirty anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston