Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM

193 posts, read 340,473 times

Advertisements

[quote=cjedstrom;29031681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
- Children's museum
- Zoo
- Eat at Rudy's BBQ
- Go to the beach in Galveston
- Walk around in The Woodlands waterway

I dont have kids, it will be me and a friend traveling, so wont be going to the Childrens museum or the zoo probably, we also have those things here. What outdoor things SCREAM fun times?
And when you say the beach in Galveston which beach are you referring to?
I cant wait to try TX BBQ! How is it different from KC BBQ?
TX BBQ ...>>>> KC BBQ
RUDY´s >>>>>>>> KC BBQ

Try the turkey there. You won´t regret it.

Galveston Beach is not so nice. Palm Beach at moody gardens is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM

193 posts, read 340,473 times
[quote=Schumacher713;29034298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

I completely disagree. We have amazing food of just about every type. I have been to the hill country BBQ places. They are good, but not really any better than BBQ I have had at a few places in Houston. Gatlin in the Heights is my favorite. I still say a great pizza place is the one we are lacking. There are few cities in the country that can match Houston in food.
Hill country BBQ is better overall. Who are you kidding?

With restaurants like Salt Lick and County line in the Hill country, this is just silly. Houston has nothing near that level of BBQ. People have weddings at these places.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,011,251 times
Palm Beach in Galveston is a kids' water park. In League City you can check out the Butler Longhorn Museum; across from NASA have lunch on the patio at Mediterraneo; eat dinner at Merlion Thai in Seabrook; IF you have kids, take them to Space Center Houston; Kemah Boardwalk is a bunch of restaurants owned by Tilman Fertitta but if weather is nice, it is fun to walk around on the boardwalk.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 AM

561 posts, read 973,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No, it hasn't. Unless you're talking about those old Men's Fitness Magazine lists, which are rather bogus (they don't actually measure anyone -- just base it on number of gyms, commute times and other factors that allow one to make a guess.) CDC data would be more reliable.
Excuse me.. its long been CONSIDERED the fattest city in America. Certainly among the top 10 most populous cities in the US.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
Is Palm Beach in Moody Gradens a good spot to spend a day at the beach or is it more for kids like a water park type place?
Palm Beach is more of a kids water park. Although they have nights with live music and a fireworks display, I would personally skip it unless you were wanting to entertain children. I take my kids there, but without them, it would not be where you'd find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
And when you say the beach in Galveston which beach are you referring to?
I cant wait to try TX BBQ! How is it different from KC BBQ?
Once again, as an adult, I find the "beach" to go to is essentially strolling or biking down the seawall. It's nice hearing the surf, feeling that ocean breeze and smelling the salt water, but the beach itself is just not for me (once again sans children). I think that if you're close to Galveston, a trip down to the strand and then a saunter on the seawall make for a nice afternoon. But any honest Houstonian will tell you, it's not a SoCal or Florida beach by any stretch of the imagination.

Texas BBQ really focuses on brisket. Sure, we have ribs, chicken and pork, but we consider our brisket the bread and butter. The problem in Houston, IMHO, is that you have so many BBQ joints, that you end up with a lot of them that aren't that good. And it seems to me, the ones that are good tend to change and live on from past glory and reputation - ie Burns. Of course, food is very subjective, so ribs that I feel are overrated, such as Pizzitolas, might be the dream rib joint to someone else. Unfortunately, one of my favorites, Pierson's, has been closed for a while, even though it's constantly rumored to be opening back up. Currently, I'm a Gatlin's fan; however, I was a little disappointed on my last two trips. Demeris usually has a good showing, and then you have consistently good BBQ at Goode Co. I'm not saying Good Co. is best, I'm just saying that it's consistently good. I also feel that Rudy's is consistently good, but not as strong as Goode Co. (and I love me some Goode Co Seafood). Oh, and you also have Virgie's.

Now if you want to have some of the best BBQ in Texas, you'll have to head west toward San Antonio and Austin. If you want the best time eating BBQ, you have to hit Salt Lick outside of Austin. It's an "interesting" place where you get all-you-can eat BBQ and BYOB - yep bring in your own cooler filled with ice cold beer. Plus they have live music. So you can spend hours there. Just bring a designated driver to get you back home.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No, it hasn't. Unless you're talking about those old Men's Fitness Magazine lists, which are rather bogus (they don't actually measure anyone -- just base it on number of gyms, commute times and other factors that allow one to make a guess.) CDC data would be more reliable.
Yep, that Men's Fitness garbage is goofy if you read it. Houston gets penalized because we are not close to snow skiing and they consider our climate to not be conducive to outdoor activities.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

Or should we just blame it on the "biased east coast/ west coast media"?
New York Times - 46 places to go in 2013: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...o-go.html?_r=0

One US city made the top 10. Houston. Food and culture.

Edit: We were number 7. Yes, the number 7 place in the world to go sandwiched between Amsterdam and Rossland BC.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM

112 posts, read 208,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Palm Beach is more of a kids water park. Although they have nights with live music and a fireworks display, I would personally skip it unless you were wanting to entertain children. I take my kids there, but without them, it would not be where you'd find me.

Once again, as an adult, I find the "beach" to go to is essentially strolling or biking down the seawall. It's nice hearing the surf, feeling that ocean breeze and smelling the salt water, but the beach itself is just not for me (once again sans children). I think that if you're close to Galveston, a trip down to the strand and then a saunter on the seawall make for a nice afternoon. But any honest Houstonian will tell you, it's not a SoCal or Florida beach by any stretch of the imagination.

Texas BBQ really focuses on brisket. Sure, we have ribs, chicken and pork, but we consider our brisket the bread and butter. The problem in Houston, IMHO, is that you have so many BBQ joints, that you end up with a lot of them that aren't that good. And it seems to me, the ones that are good tend to change and live on from past glory and reputation - ie Burns. Of course, food is very subjective, so ribs that I feel are overrated, such as Pizzitolas, might be the dream rib joint to someone else. Unfortunately, one of my favorites, Pierson's, has been closed for a while, even though it's constantly rumored to be opening back up. Currently, I'm a Gatlin's fan; however, I was a little disappointed on my last two trips. Demeris usually has a good showing, and then you have consistently good BBQ at Goode Co. I'm not saying Good Co. is best, I'm just saying that it's consistently good. I also feel that Rudy's is consistently good, but not as strong as Goode Co. (and I love me some Goode Co Seafood). Oh, and you also have Virgie's.

Now if you want to have some of the best BBQ in Texas, you'll have to head west toward San Antonio and Austin. If you want the best time eating BBQ, you have to hit Salt Lick outside of Austin. It's an "interesting" place where you get all-you-can eat BBQ and BYOB - yep bring in your own cooler filled with ice cold beer. Plus they have live music. So you can spend hours there. Just bring a designated driver to get you back home.

again great info! Thank you very much!!!
Too bad about the Salt Lick being in Austin, about 3 hours away. Wont be able to stop there but that sounds like a great time! And great prices, cheap night if I can BYOB!

Are there any BYOB places in Houston? Not even to go there but just out of curiosity. I have never been to one, none here in MN that I know of. And also why are there BYOB places? Dry counties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston