Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times

Advertisements

I lived in Westchase for about a year '92-'93. Back then it was pretty bad. My apartment was near Richmond and Gessner, which looked like a very nice area full of trees and manicured streets, with well kept garden apartments and town home complexes. However, less than a mile south on Gessner was a war zone for Jamaican and Columbian gangs. I hit the floor of my apartment a few nights to the sounds of automatic gunfire uncomfortably close by. There were reports of homicides and prostitution busts every weekend. A colleague in my industry who lived nearby was murdered at home and his townhouse was set on fire four years ago. It's not a great place.

Now, just about the same distance north on Gessner puts you in a beautiful area, with million-dollar homes and safe neighborhoods. Houston is like that all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 7,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
OP, are you saying the job is going to be in zip code 77042? Or elsewhere?
If you are coming without your car, what do you expect to do for transportation?

There's hundreds of apartments in the west of Houston but you'll need to be able to get to them. Follow the advise from cheryjohns, above.

Public transportation in Houston is NOT like public transport in the northeast, or Boston. And if there were, you'd be miserable while waiting in the heat for a bus to show up.

Per OP: Will have to ship my car down since this position starts soon and I'm unfamiliar with the area outside of Downtown Houston, Medical Center.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
$900 might get a one bedroom in the suggested zips. Contact an apartment locator and tell them you work in 77042 in Westchase, but you want a safer area that is close.

The odd thing about the apartments in 77042 is that they look OK - but they are not. High crime.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 AM

41 posts, read 53,818 times
Hi.

Thanks for the update and replies.

Planning in staying in hotel closeby while aptmt hunting. Thanks for suggestions to look in surrounding areas.

I've contacted some aptmt locators as some mentioned so hoping they'll reply on weekday soon.

Weird thing is that rent in some places are similiarly high comparably to those found in Boston which is surprising.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Rentals are not necessarily going to be cheaper here, especially near the desired areas. There are places where is it actually cheaper to rent, rather to own. Houston is not one of those places. It's a good place to be a landlord, not a renter.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM

@cheryjohns

Are there any other areas besides 77077/77079 which are near Westheimster within ~10-15 miles that's relatively affordable yet safe? Budgeting about ~$900 max.

Is there a reliable place to find housemates/roommates? Craigslist isn't so dependable.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchan1 View Post
@cheryjohns

Are there any other areas besides 77077/77079 which are near Westheimster within ~10-15 miles that's relatively affordable yet safe? Budgeting about ~$900 max.

Is there a reliable place to find housemates/roommates? Craigslist isn't so dependable.

Thanks!
I think you probably need to look in person, if possible. If you're looking inside the loop, you should be able to find something better in person. I currently rent a 1 bedroom that's pretty decent-sized by by Boston standards for $725 in Montrose. I paid $600 for a room I shared in Jamaica Plain with 2 other people, (obviously you know that's a great deal) so I know what Boston/New England places cost and look like. Most people here in Texas think size first, then location, quite the opposite of New England, and I would think, coming from New England that you would be more inclined to choose location and quality first, over size. I don't think you should have a problem finding a place since my mom pays $900 for a 2 bedroom in a complex she likes near that area.

Though you also need to define what safe is. In New England the nice areas are far from bad areas and there's usually some sort of middle ground; in Houston this isn't the case. I mean no one wants to hear gunshots at night, but some people worry that their cars are going to be broken into and unfortunately it's fairly common in Houston no matter where you live. Crime is difficult to avoid in city that's spread out and where even the criminals have cars.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM

@theSUBlime

Thanks for the info!

Coming from New England, where land is relatively scarce, room is tight and rent is also relatively high but common. I was sharing a house with some housemates in the metro area, but in a decent location. Traffic was manageable.

Houston is definitely more spread out and thanks for letting me know about the "safety" aspect in the area.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM

226 posts, read 310,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchan1 View Post
In addition...

Is rent between $600-900 reasonable around 77077 or 77079 or similar areas?
Don't know Houston to know if the areas are safe or not in relation to the rent/quality of housing available.

Thank you!
Unfortunately, rents in Houston have gone up quite a bit in the last few years. The floor plan I was in two years ago (since moved complexes) has gone up in price about $150 since I left. The city has definitely turned from a tenant's to a landlord's market. You won't find a new or renovated one-bedroom in a desirable area under $800 now.

Have you considered the 77077 zip code? The area west of Eldridge is more desirable and the complexes are newer on average than the 77079 zip code? There are also some nice complexes in the southern end of 77084, off of Park Row, where I am now. It shouldn't be a bad commute to Westheimer/Beltway area if you time your commute right.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlibrarian View Post
Unfortunately, rents in Houston have gone up quite a bit in the last few years. The floor plan I was in two years ago (since moved complexes) has gone up in price about $150 since I left. The city has definitely turned from a tenant's to a landlord's market. You won't find a new or renovated one-bedroom in a desirable area under $800 now.

Have you considered the 77077 zip code? The area west of Eldridge is more desirable and the complexes are newer on average than the 77079 zip code? There are also some nice complexes in the southern end of 77084, off of Park Row, where I am now. It shouldn't be a bad commute to Westheimer/Beltway area if you time your commute right.
OP - see above. That is great advice. Working in Westchase is OK. Living there is not. Your quality and cost of living will be good, and your commute will be short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston