Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

I have lived most of my life in Houston and have only spent the night in Bakersfield. I can only recall thinking the next morning when I woke up and got in the car for the long drive to the Bay Area...that I was thankful that I don't live there. What I saw compared to what Houston has to offer is quite different. I would choose Houston over Bakersfield due to many reasons but mainly for the diversity of Houston. Better COL, diverse economy, home to one of the best Medical Center's on the planet and an outstanding food scene. There are many things to keep yourself entertained in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I live in Houston but travel to Bakersfield - I was actually there last week. If you go, try the Chicken Picatta at Uricchio's Trattoria for dinner and have a Stinky Burger at Lengthwise Pub for lunch unless you can do Italian twice in the same day, then go to Luigi's and have lunch on their patio.

In Bakersfield, you're two hours from great stuff. You can leave early in the morning to go snow skiing and then be on the beach that night for a bonfire and returning home (kind of late) to your own bed. HOWEVER, how many times will you realistically drive those two hours?

IMHO, you'll have a higher standard of living and enjoy your home in Houston more than a home in Bakersfield. So, it comes down to is the trip to the beach or mountains once a month worth the rest of the month in a less optimal home situation? Back to IMHO, no.

The New York Times had a feature about the 100 cities to visit in 2013. Only one US city made the top 10, that was Houston at 8. The Times talked about our thriving arts community (museums, opera, stage, concerts and festivals) and our great food scene.

In Houston, you can spend $250,000 (in the burbs) to get a home that is over 3,000 sq ft with a big yard in a pleasant neighborhood. For $450k, you can get a nice home inside the loop (obviously not that size and with a smaller yard).

Sure, our beaches are, we'll just be polite and say "lacking", but I still enjoy a bicycle ride on the seawall followed by dinner at The Spot with the sound of the surf in the background (occasionally obliterated by the Harley guy wanting to rev his motorcycle as loud as possible before returning to the trailer park). We have very good offshore fishing and it's actually relatively affordable to get in on a "partial" for a sailboat in Kemah. A day of sailing on the bay followed by dinner at T-Bone Tom's or the Swamp Shack with a cold beer and live music isn't a sharp stick in the eye.

If you don't have any kids and can get a job at Anadarko in the Woodlands, I'd look at the different condo buildings on the "Riverwalk" there and walk to work and have access to music, restaurants, shopping and bars without ever having to get in a car. If you can afford it, there are lot's of these small lake communities popping up, especially on the west side, where you live on a small lake with an electric pontoon boat and/or a kayak to get your mind right after work or on the weekends.

I chose to live on Lake Houston. Like Galveston, the lake is "lacking" in it's natural beauty; however, it's 35 minutes from downtown, and in the late spring through early fall, when I get home from work after a crappy day, I walk into my backyard, drop a jet ski in the water and run up to King's Harbor for a beer and appetizer before zooming back home. I'll spend my weekends wake surfing. I see all manners of bird and water critters such as bald eagles, beavers and the occasional gator (Google it, yes we have nesting bald eagles and other cool raptors as well as beavers. And, although I've never personally seen them, we have otters in Lake Houston - once again Google it). My home is 11 years old, 3,600 sq ft with 120' of canal front, and I paid $285k 7 years ago. Tell me, in what other major city can you get a very nice waterfront home for under $300k that is 35 minutes from downtown (no, not in rush hour, lol).

Keep in mind, I'm not one of those people calling Bakersfield an armpit, I actually enjoy my trips there, but I'll be picking Houston every time to live in. No, Houston is not Key West, Boulder, Honolulu, Cupertino or Austin; it's Houston, a place with lots of good jobs, great housing, great arts and restaurants, a world class medical district and never a day you're literally running inside due to the cold. Yes, we have traffic, mosquitoes, humidity, too many billboards, no mountains in sight, hot summers, too many fast food joints and muddy beaches, but we're 10,000 times better than Detroit, lol.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Op your kidding right? Bakersfield Ca or Houston. Its not hard .....Houston by a landslide. City or small out of the way town? Take the promotion to Houston which might change your view of the world...other wise stay on the west coast

Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
I have a good friend that lived in Bakersfield for a long time. He still shudders whenever I ask what was so wrong with it. His answer is always "Everything". I have picked up that it is not a place of the normal California bliss.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Bakersfield? No WAY Jose.....

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,076 times
This is all very helpful.
I am also Houston leaning. I like the idea of staying with a more metropolitan culture that we've grown accustom to. We visited last September, and I did find myself falling for "The Heights" neighborhood. It's reminisant of the quaint Seattle bourroughs. The suburbs of Houston are a little overwhelming- but seem fine.
I agree- we need to be in a area that we enjoy for day to day life.
And since I will be becoming a "stay at home" parent for the first time; I'd rather be somewhere a little more inspiring since "home" is my new job.
Also with news of Saccramento filing for bankruptcy today - the general economy of the state of CA is less than appealing. Not to mention the terrible taxes as well.
I appreciate your time and thoughts! You've been very validating.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHC808 View Post
I am also Houston leaning. I like the idea of staying with a more metropolitan culture that we've grown accustom to. We visited last September, and I did find myself falling for "The Heights" neighborhood. It's reminisant of the quaint Seattle bourroughs. The suburbs of Houston are a little overwhelming- but seem fine.
Yeah, you aren't going to find anything like a Seattle borough or The Heights in Bakersfield.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Quote:
And since I will be becoming a "stay at home" parent for the first time; I'd rather be somewhere a little more inspiring since "home" is my new job.
Also with news of Saccramento filing for bankruptcy today - the general economy of the state of CA is less than appealing. Not to mention the terrible taxes as well.
I am also a stay at home mom, and my husband thought I would have felt trapped in Bakersfield. I don't feel that way in Houston at all. Plus, if I want to go back to work one day, there are more opportunities here in Houston.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
The two cities are not very comparable. This is very rough, but Bakersfield would be more comparable to Midland-Odessa and Houston more comparable to Los Angeles.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM

370 posts, read 862,701 times
Not to split hairs but Stockton filed for bankruptcy, not Sacramento.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston