Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,134 times

Advertisements

To OP: We're in the same boat, but just started looking in 77079. We don't need a house right away, but after watching the inventory over several months, I don't think our prospects are that great at this moment. But we'll stick to it for a while to see what comes up over next few months.

Yesterday I started thinking about 77077 for a change if 77079 doesn't work out. True, it's HISD, but there are couple decent elementary schools there, and middle / HS are not that bad (at least on paper). We might look into that. Another option for us is 77055, but that area has same issues as 77079.

Good luck with house shopping. From what you're describing we might be competing for same properties .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
West end of 77079, which is in Katy ISD, tends to be more affordable and less in demand than the SBISD zoned part. You get the same proximity to energy corridor jobs and retail etc along with a good school just not as near by nor as well thought of as SBISD. This area is west of around Eldridge along Memorial. I lived in this area for 25 years and enjoyed it vey much. Smaller yards in the Katy ISD part of 77079 which was appealing to me. We lived in Fleetwood, in a alley section which also was a plus in my book.

While prices have risen in this section along with rising demand, the prices are well below the more prestigious part.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
The problem you're having in that category is your competing with builders. They are cash ready and know when they are coming on.

One just came on the market yesterday, Ashford Forest section of Nottingham Forest, in the low 400s. My guess it has three builders and some private contracts already on it. Frankly, I'm surprised it even hit the MLS unsold.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
It would have been sold before the MLS but the sellers are being greedy. Of course, they'll likely get what they want.

I doubt the builders are looking to spend $400+ to tear down in Ashford Forest.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
It would have been sold before the MLS but the sellers are being greedy. Of course, they'll likely get what they want.

I doubt the builders are looking to spend $400+ to tear down in Ashford Forest.
I know of two that would. Other locations, other than Nottingham West near the Fwy, are going close to five. Wilchester or Wilchester West...nothing seems to stop private custom.

Sellers aren't greedy if they can get what the market will bear. And no one really knows what the limits are around here just yet.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I know of two that would. Other locations, other than Nottingham West near the Fwy, are going close to five. Wilchester or Wilchester West...nothing seems to stop private custom.

Sellers aren't greedy if they can get what the market will bear. And no one really knows what the limits are around here just yet.
Agree.....I think most sellers anywhere try to get the most for a house - it is the largest Financial asset for many. It is the market that dictates price...good ol supply and demand - compounded by schools and prime location. This underscores the need for buyers to do their homework, talk to people who live in the hoods they are buying in etc. Find out te houses before thy hit the market.A buyer has to be ready to pounce. Saying that, there are many who don't want to sell their homes to builders. They would prefer to see someone move into the house and update/remodel. That is why you see so many buyer profile letters attached to offers.

Last edited by Maybe So; 04-16-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The problem you're having in that category is your competing with builders. They are cash ready and know when they are coming on.

One just came on the market yesterday, Ashford Forest section of Nottingham Forest, in the low 400s. My guess it has three builders and some private contracts already on it. Frankly, I'm surprised it even hit the MLS unsold.
We saw that house last weekend, but didn't put an offer on it. Just small and weird layout for what we need. It was nice, but still needed at least $30K or more work on the inside to make it up to date. At asking price of $200/sq ft, seemed high to us, but I guess that's what the market calls for.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,052 times
We are in Greentrails still in Houston zipcode but zoned in Katy ISD. I like my area a lot. there are mature trees lining streets , playgrounds, splash pad, swiming pools etc. yet, only take 10-20 mins to Energy corridor. My child attend to one of the elementary schools here and i think teachers and staffs are doing an excellent job.

Recently, a few office building and retail space start building up along I-10 and greenhouse rd. I saw starbuck sign i could not be happier to be able to walk to a coffeeshop!

**someone asked me about expat population in GT i think there are pretty good number judging from the kids at school-- Brazillian, Dutch, Norwegian, Scottish, French, etc.

Last edited by ptt; 04-16-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
At asking price of $200/sq ft, seemed high to us, but I guess that's what the market calls for.
Depends on which neighborhood you are looking in....and then location within hood, condition. But yes..."odd" houses (especially non- traditional elevations for area) tend to sit longer. Case-in-point, take a look at what is available in The Wilchesters...non traditional elevations. Those homes would have been sold in a weekend or per-market if a different elevation.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
Depends on which neighborhood you are looking in....and then location within hood, condition.
Yep. Agreed. Neighborhood was good, lot was good, overall condition of the house seemed decent for it's age, needed work inside, just the layout wouldn't work. We were ready to pay that or even more for the right house in the right neighborhood. Just this one wasn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: