Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times

Advertisements

Dopo, is that all you got? Fox News blah, blah, blah. Republicans want to kill old people, children, illegals, blah, blah, blah. Turn off MSNBC and start learning to think for yourself. The real complaint about Republicans is the fact that they are NOT being Republicans and followed the Democrats right down the big government rabbit hole. Funny how you argue as if there is actually a difference between the two parties.

And btw, you lefties do know that just because TX has a budget surplus does not mean they have no debt? Did you guys forget about that part?

I think the debt is around 287 billion. Yes billion with a B. And you MSNBC clowns want us to spend the budget surplus? LOL. Yeah, let's forget about the 287 billion. Just like Obama doesn't give two shizzles about the 17 trillion in our current account deficit. You guys are a riot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Dopo, is that all you got? Fox News blah, blah, blah. Republicans want to kill old people, children, illegals, blah, blah, blah. Turn off MSNBC and start learning to think for yourself. The real complaint about Republicans is the fact that they are NOT being Republicans and followed the Democrats right down the big government rabbit hole. Funny how you argue as if there is actually a difference between the two parties.

And btw, you lefties do know that just because TX has a budget surplus does not mean they have no debt? Did you guys forget about that part?

I think the debt is around 287 billion. Yes billion with a B. And you MSNBC clowns want us to spend the budget surplus? LOL. Yeah, let's forget about the 287 billion. Just like Obama doesn't give two shizzles about the 17 trillion in our current account deficit. You guys are a riot.
Okay, forget restoring budget cuts then, why not then make a credible plan to use our surplus to pay off that debt? Again, what is the point of the surplus if we are doing nothing with it to help us?

And I am just asking, maybe there is a plan to pay off the debt with our surplus that I haven't read before?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Okay, forget restoring budget cuts then, why not then make a credible plan to use our surplus to pay off that debt? Again, what is the point of the surplus if we are doing nothing with it to help us?

And I am just asking, maybe there is a plan to pay off the debt with our surplus that I haven't read before?

They actually ARE using it to pay down the debt. Any other questions?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
They actually ARE using it to pay down the debt. Any other questions?
Yes kind sir, if it is not too much trouble, can you please show me something I can read that says that? I mean, not to say I don't take your word for it or anything.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
How in the hell can we have a surplus and be in debt? (I don't feel like spending a bunch of time trying to find out)

That's like a family saying
"Look, we have a surplus of $2000 in our savings account, lets go and celebrate...
BTW, we still have $10,000 credit card debt that we need to pay"

$2000 surplus or $8000 in debt?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 AM

105 posts, read 236,406 times
It's a surplus for a single year with an overall debt. Not too complicated.

"$2000 in our savings account" wouldn't be accurate. It's more like "our savings account is $2000 higher than last year but we still have $10,000 debt to pay."

Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
It's a surplus for a single year with an overall debt. Not too complicated.

"$2000 in our savings account" wouldn't be accurate. It's more like "our savings account is $2000 higher than last year but we still have $10,000 debt to pay."
So in other words, the government is full of **** and the OP is blowing smoke.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Exactly,
the Texas government is like the thug with the pimped out car that has $100 in his bank account and owes $10,000 because of all the c.... he bought for his car.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 AM

229 posts, read 305,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes please do explain to us who is not paying for services?

Put your CA pomp pomps down and think about it.

CA is full of welfare hoarders who don't pay for sevices. The broke govt in CA loves to take our tax dollars and give it to the hoaders including themselves.

The Official Website of Representative David Duke, PhD » California Has One Third of Nation

FactCheck.org : ‘Death Spiral’ States?

But at least you educate your children, don't have one of the highest dropout rates, poverty rates, teen pregnancy rates, uninsured rates, illiteracy rates, minimum wage job rates....and the list goes on and on and on. We may be creating jobs, but 20 years from now this state will be a very sad place indeed if we don't start spending some of those billions and investing in our future. Texas may look good right now due to all these new jobs, but if folks would just peel back the surface and get to the real truth of just how poorly this state is prepared for the future they would see that things aren't so great. The state may be creating jobs, but if you have millions of people who are poor, uneducated, uninsured, can't read, working in low paying jobs, etc..., how successful are you really? It is a facade that will eventually crack. But at least on this day, our governor looks good and has some good talking points.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
No, it means you failed your high school civics class. There is the current account deficit and there is the budget. Two separate things. For example, at the federal level, we have been running budget deficits almost every year to the tune of about 1 trillion dollars. That means we expect to spend 1 trillion more then what we collect in taxes. The current account deficit is the total debt sans long term liabilities.

For example, Bill Clinton likes to remind us, he was the last president to balance the budget and run a surplus (he did it once). But we still had trillions in debt.

States technically are not allowed to run budget deficits but most do. The reason for this is that budgets are "estimates". They are estimating their spending and estimating what they expect to take in. Usually those estimates are off by 100 light years. And therefore deficits accrue.

And let me make one further point for all you bleeding hearts out there. Perry did NOT cut spending. He cut the "growth" of spending. TX is still spending more money this year then last year and more money then all the previous years. I always laugh when I hear all these dems talk about austerity in this country. We haven't had austerity since Herbert Hoover. LOL. Washington is fighting over the "growth" of spending. Nobody in Washington or Texas for that matter is actually cutting spending. That's the whole joke of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston