Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM

156 posts, read 318,028 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We will sign a contract this weekend and would like to ask about the Hardwood Floor. We would like to install the Family Room (17sfx18sf), Dining Room (12x10) and Foyer Entry (I'm not sure, but I'm guessing roughly about 20x6sf???. So the estimation is $8850 for total from the builder.

We went to Home Depot and looked at some hardwood floors, the price was roughly about $3 - $6/sq. Home Depot also has an option, to install the house for flat fee of $397. Has anyone heard about the Home Depot installation Flat rate? Do I have to install the whole house to get that rate?

I have a little 9 months old baby. So to you, should I let the builder to do the hardwood floor or let the Home Depot do it? I'm not sure about Home Depot if the will do a good job or if their price will be cheaper and how much cheaper than the builder. Has anyone experienced with this issue?

Please help!

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM

44 posts, read 110,199 times
I did not get wood floor through the builder because their price per square feet and labor is too high. You can also check out lumber liquidators, I think their rate is $2/sq ft if I remember correctly.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Home Depot subs out their contractors. 397 flat fee sounds too good to be true. Lumber Liquidators is the place to look. Depending on what you are laying the floor on there are other costs. Like glue or a moisture barrier. Also, if it is on a second floor you need to put down some kind of sound barrier. As for your builder. What kind of hardwoods is he putting down? Is he using solid 3/4 wood that will be sanded in stained? That is a different price range than home depot floors. I want to say I paid around 6-7 bucks a foot for 3/4 red oak 4 inch planks and had it stained from my sub.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM

258 posts, read 954,793 times
We recently had about 700 sq ft installed of engineered hardwood floor (better than laminate but not the kind that can be resurfaced or stained) at $5.00 a sq/ft installed including the quarter round molding AND removal of old carpet. However, the glue was not included in the cost and added to the overall cost by a couple hundred or so.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Wow, that is $16 a sqft! 15 years ago our builder wanted $10 a sqft for the basic Bruce engineered hardwood floor. Crazy markup on that! Needless to say we did not have them install it, but did it all later. I would just get the basic floor now and have hardwood installed later.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Builders over charge...

The truth is builders make most of their profits at sell time via "upgrades" when buyers are still in the dreamy and excited stage to make too much of a fuss about it. Only after shopping around do you realize just how much builders gouge. Even if you let the builder do it, your selection is limited to what they have; if you do it on your own, your choices are limitless.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 AM

18 posts, read 57,562 times
How much incentives did you get? Did you get enough so that you are playing with their money after upgrading the things you wanted?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
It's a tough call. I know it's more expensive to go through the builder. In our house we have wood in the study and dining room. They were "standard" but we upgraded the type of wood. Fast forward to about 6 months after moving in. Our master bath shower developed a leak...the caulking had pulled away from underneath the shower seat, and water leaked down into the seat and into the wall. The wall separated the master bath from our study. The way the furniture was situated, we didn't notice the floors got darker. We finally noticed the water damage along the baseboards, and called the builder. They had to rebuild our shower/shower seat, and replace about half of the study flooring. Luckily that was at no cost to us because it was all under warranty. Had that leak happened and we had put in the floors ourselves via a 3rd party - we would have had to replace all that flooring on our dime.

Not saying to expect something like that. Just saying that having the floors under the builder's warranty is something to think about. I don't know what kind of warranty is offered by 3rd party installers.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
we used floors for living. Eng. wood. for 650 sq ft it was 5grand. came with 5 year install warranty, and the product has 20 year warranty.
you have about the same sq ft space. so you should be in the 5-6 range for a decent wood.

have you tried to negotiate the price of the wood from the builder? i would get quotes from other floor store , for the exact wood, and see if the builder wants to come down. essentially the builder should have less to do, since they wont be tearing out anything or modifying any trim work/baseboards.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Negotiate it in to the deal before signing.
If you don't, you'll be overpaying. And get upgraded a few levels. The base level is probably junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: