Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times

Advertisements

Odd this is what I think every time I drive out into the country or suburbs.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
I dunno, I suspect the OP is fishing for some support for the notion that poor people (read MINORITIES) can't manage their finances and live in dumps because they like it. Other than that I'm having a hard time finding any 'reasonable' basis for a discussion on the OP's terms.
oh please, if you dont understand what the thread is about then fine. also by minorites you mean white non hispanic? cause they are the minority in Houston. i aksed a simple honest question, i got my answers now and thats it

Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
I think the question "why is Houston so damn poor," is probably based on a false assumption. The OP somehow assumes that if Houston has a lot of wealth in it, then there will be wealth everywhere in Houston. This a question of confusing quantity with quality. That is never a good thing to assume in a capitalist economy, which encourages the consolidation and commodification of wealth by the people at the top.

In order to make the assumption that because there is a lot of wealth in an area, everyone should be doing good, you would have to also assume an economic system with a mechanism for the equal or even distribution of wealth. We have no such system in the United States. It would actually be more logical to assume that where there is a lot of wealth, there will be even more poverty than usual. Those that have the quantity of wealth have no real interest in improving the quality of life for everyone else.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM

and the biggest thing that shocked me was simply oh how bad poor parts look like, even Compton, ca and east LA look nicer but now i got my answer of why Houston is the way it is.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I think the question "why is Houston so damn poor," is probably based on a false assumption. The OP somehow assumes that if Houston has a lot of wealth in it, then there will be wealth everywhere in Houston. This a question of confusing quantity with quality. That is never a good thing to assume in a capitalist economy, which encourages the consolidation and commodification of wealth by the people at the top.

In order to make the assumption that because there is a lot of wealth in an area, everyone should be doing good, you would have to also assume an economic system with a mechanism for the equal or even distribution of wealth. We have no such system in the United States. It would actually be more logical to assume that where there is a lot of wealth, there will be even more poverty than usual. Those that have the quantity of wealth have no real interest in improving the quality of life for everyone else.
no, i know that every city has wealth and poverty, but there are different kinds of poverty as i said before poverty in Mexico is not equal to poverty in Germany or Canada for example, and houston bad parts look as if they were in a really poor country, and not in one of the wealthiest cities

Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,950 times
Patrix542 you keep saying poor areas in other cities like Chicago and LA are better looking. Have you been to these places? I grew up on the Southside of Chicago and been to LA several times. There's no way that those cities' ghettos look any better than Houston. I can assure you that. Have you been to Englewood neighborhood in Chicago? Have you been to some of the West side near Austin Ave? I feel safer in Houston hood, than Chicago hood any day. And the crime stats back me up.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
Patrix542 you keep saying poor areas in other cities like Chicago and LA are better looking. Have you been to these places? I grew up on the Southside of Chicago and been to LA several times. There's no way that those cities' ghettos look any better than Houston. I can assure you that. Have you been to Englewood neighborhood in Chicago? Have you been to some of the West side near Austin Ave? I feel safer in Houston hood, than Chicago hood any day. And the crime stats back me up.
yes i have been to south side chicago, includin englewood, some parts are sketchy but overall yes i do think it looks better thn poverty in houston, thats just my personal opinion.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Eng...1,5.3,,0,-0.91

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Eng...180.12,,0,2.38

how does englewood even compare to the links i posted?

and LA ghettos;

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Com...267.08,,0,2.65 (Compton)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Com...&cbp=11,0,,0,0 (Compton)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Com...,83.42,,0,2.19 Compton

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Com...187.31,,0,0.91 East LA

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Com...&cbp=11,0,,0,0 East LA

Do you really not see the difference??

Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
oh please, if you dont understand what the thread is about then fine. also by minorites you mean white non hispanic? cause they are the minority in Houston. i aksed a simple honest question, i got my answers now and thats it
Sorry, I've been a bit cranky lately. But when you say this:

Quote:
Western houston looks great so does south west and "Greater Heights" but 90% of hispanic and black neighborhoods look absolutely horrible, one of the ugliest areas i have ever seen in United States (well, philadelphia is worse) why is that?
and then ask this

Quote:
With such low cost of living that Houston has I really dont understand how and why anyone would live like this?
It just looks like you're trying to insinuate something. If you weren't, you have my apology.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,177 times
LOL Compton looks better than a lot of parts of Houston?? AND SOUTHSIDE CHICAGO?? lmao, dude you know April 1st was 3 days ago right?

You have obviously never walked through East LA, Compton, Southside Chicago, Logan Heights in San Diego or anything. I call big time BS with this thread.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
I also think Houston has ugly poor neighborhoods. Only New Orleans and Miami are just as bad or worse, in my opinion. Despite being more dangerous, what saves the Englewood neighborhood is the much better architecture and landscaping. Brick houses, tree-lined streets, and mowed lawns is what you see a lot of; not exactly what you'd find in the Greater Fifth. Houston still has that undercurrent of the Deep South running through it, and you can clearly see it. Our poor hoods don't look all that different from those in Yazoo City, Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston