Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times

Advertisements

I wanted to apologize in my previous post for referring to Christians as "goyim". Somebody called me out on it in a rep.

I tend to use that word casually with friends (Christians, too) and it isn't right to do so as it technically derogatory.

Just because I don't see it as derogatory anymore doesn't mean anything. Whoever rep-called me chewed me out good, and rightfully so. I will refrain from using this term in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:49 AM

18 posts, read 81,140 times
This thread exemplifies why I'm afraid to move to Houston! LOL It has been a good read. I'm researching all the different possible places to live in or around Houston and from what I'm seeing on Realtor.com the housing prices are not much different than where I'm from in Essex County New Jersey. It seems I'm still looking at more than 700K for a home but with much lower taxes.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 63,334 times
Dear all:

Thank you very much for your comments!

I am definitely going to spend a week or two in Houston before deciding the make the move. As everyone has commented... it's becoming very difficult to afford NYC. Especially to raise a family there. What are some good price/quality neighborhoods in Houston?

Thanks again for your help.

Meta

Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,756,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susandink View Post
This thread exemplifies why I'm afraid to move to Houston! LOL It has been a good read. I'm researching all the different possible places to live in or around Houston and from what I'm seeing on Realtor.com the housing prices are not much different than where I'm from in Essex County New Jersey. It seems I'm still looking at more than 700K for a home but with much lower taxes.
What? 700k? That's the 99th percentile in Houston. The avg home value here is 150k and the median is around the same. Where the hell are you looking? The only area I know of in the entire metro area that has home values that high outside the look is Memorial. That's one area out of about 50! LOL. I use to live in NJ and NY. There is no comparison in cost. Hell, the state income taxes alone will buy an entire avg Houston home in 10 years.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I used redfin.com . It gives you a pretty good idea... I agree that 700K seems too much.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post

--Living in the loop is best if you want not only ethnic diversity but also ideological diversity.
Thank you. What neighborhoods are inside the loop?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by met77act View Post
Thank you. What neighborhoods are inside the loop?
The desirable inner loop neighborhoods are usually West U, University Place, Upper Kirby, Monstrose, Midtown, The Heights.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Is that the suburbs? $700,000 in a Houston Suburb will damn near get you a mansion.

11 Sullivans Ct, Missouri City, TX 77459 - HAR.com

14415 Moreno Av, Houston, TX 77045 - HAR.com

6123 Ten Mile Lk, Missouri City, TX 77459 - HAR.com

Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 81,140 times
I was just looking on realtor at some neighborhoods friends in Houston recommended. Bellaire, West University, etc. IF it happens my husband will transferred to his company office downtown. I don't want him commuting more than an hour one way. It's hard to know what school district is good.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM

14 posts, read 42,947 times
Quote:
I was just looking on realtor at some neighborhoods friends in Houston recommended. Bellaire, West University, etc. IF it happens my husband will transferred to his company office downtown. I don't want him commuting more than an hour one way. It's hard to know what school district is good.
Memorial (77024) is the only choice for good public schools in houston (I mean houston, not suburbs) from elementary through highschool. Other areas are hit and miss with elementary being ok, Middle school like prison, highschool ok, etc..

Your mileage may vary. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston