Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I would look across Bellaire BlVd at Braes Heights or Ayshire. Better High school, slightly lower cost, more breathing space.

West U is so congested and the street parking is out of control. I get closterphobia everytime I drive through there. Lamar isn't that great of a high school unless you are in upper levels..and still...
What's wrong with Lamar? Do tell.

In my opinion, it's Bellaire High that's losing its quality.

You are probably seeing something I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
I built and sold a house in West U recently for 1.2mil. That was last year. When the housing market crashed West U prices held up well. Probably better than anywhere else in Houston. That area will continue to get more expensive. I also lived in West U for eight years. Don't be afraid to buy there. It is one of the best neighborhoods in Houston.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I built and sold a house in West U recently for 1.2mil. That was last year. When the housing market crashed West U prices held up well. Probably better than anywhere else in Houston. That area will continue to get more expensive. I also lived in West U for eight years. Don't be afraid to buy there. It is one of the best neighborhoods in Houston.
How much more expensive can it get? It already seems to be teetering on overvalued.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great place.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM

It might be what you consider overvalued. Houston is considered undervalued in general. Any nice house inside 610 will rise in price. I would not be surprised to see West U to go up by 50% to 100% in time. Location and it is a very nice neighborhood. With the growth Houston is expecting it will push up home values. I think West U is undervalued. There are million dollar houses all over the Heights. West U is a much nicer area. Also, there is a big trend to live in the city vs the suburbs.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The further west you go in West U the greater value you will find. There are still some smaller properties that haven't been built to the max west of Weslayan (which is a mis-spelled street name btw) maybe even Community Dr. if you don't mind train tracks behind your house. Buy one of those and think about remodling...!
Or power lines where we're at it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Or power lines where we're at it.
You pay for location! I loved living in West U. I don't think there is a better location in Houston.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
It might be what you consider overvalued. Houston is considered undervalued in general. Any nice house inside 610 will rise in price. I would not be surprised to see West U to go up by 50% to 100% in time. Location and it is a very nice neighborhood. With the growth Houston is expecting it will push up home values. I think West U is undervalued. There are million dollar houses all over the Heights. West U is a much nicer area. Also, there is a big trend to live in the city vs the suburbs.
100%?

Will that creep over to Meyerland? Actually, I understand what you are saying. Our house has gone up in value rapidly also, and we didn't buy too long ago.

Heck, even our crappy old place in Barrington Place (Sugar Land) went up 15 percent this year I believe.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM

I bought a lot in Garden Oaks not too long ago. Realtor called me three weeks after I bought it. I could have flipped it for an easy 30K. So, of course it will creep to Meyerland. Builders like myself really drive the housing prices. It is a pain to get lots. There is so much margin in building that you don't need a good deal on a lot. There is just incredible demand. As West U and other high end areas get more expensive. People who can't afford that area will go looking in adjacent areas. Which is why I went to Garden Oaks to build. That area is getting pricey also. As more and more houses are leveled for big houses it will drive the lot prices as inventory is low. I don't think the suburbs will see the crazy appreciation like the city, but it will climb also. They are projecting Houston to surpass Chicago in population. Anyways, it is all great news for me!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,396 times
I am a Realtor and have lived in West U for 22 years -- including nearly ten years previously on Community backing up to the tracks BEFORE the quiet zone. There is no better community in Houston, in my opinion. There are other great areas close, including Bellaire, Ayrshire, Braes Heights -- but nowhere better. You are close to museums, downtown, theater, ballet, opera, symphony. Rice University has great continuing education programs and Rice Village has a charm you won't find anywhere else in Houston. Not sure why Easily Amused finds West U "closterphobia" (sic). Could it because we have so many beautiful trees? Parking has never been an issue for my family.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Look at Meyerland there are a few 800k to 1mill homes for sale you get more bang for your buck in Meyerland than West U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston