Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

All I know is that there's a couple of exits on my way to work where I see that almost everyday.
People drive on the left lane to avoid the traffic on the right and wait until the last second to cross all lanes and take the exit.

Clearly putting everybody in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,460 times
The other day, my son was riding with me and he asked me why it was so important to drive with your hands at 10 and 2. I told him it allowed for the most control of the car, and then I noted to him that I should do it more often. He replied, telling me that he always sees me doing it since we've moved to Houston. I hadn't even noticed, but now that I think about it, he's right. These roads are wild and wooly pretty much every day.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
All I know is that there's a couple of exits on my way to work where I see that almost everyday.
People drive on the left lane to avoid the traffic on the right and wait until the last second to cross all lanes and take the exit.

Clearly putting everybody in danger.
But what the van did is no where near the worst I have seen. There was a big gap for the van. I've seen people try to do that while traffic is heavy and cutting it real close. Going uphill on the ramp helps the van too. I do agree that people should plan ahead for their exit and stop hogging the left lanes.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's normal in Texas
I don't want them to die, I just want them to learn a lesson.
BTW, in Missouri you can get a ticket for that, also for cruising on the left lane of the highway or changing lanes without using your blinkers.
I'm sure changing lanes without a blinker is a ticket-able offense in every state but it is not enforced. It's just not a lucrative ticket to write for the piggies. They like the speeding tickets cause they fill the city coffers. Fact is if one change lanes without a blinker they are an inconsiderate azz.

It's also in ones drivers manual 101 that the left lane is for passing only. This was written in the days before roads were filled way beyond capacity. But even during lighter volume times, I can sit in the right lane and pass everyone on the highway because everyone.........EVERYONE keeps middle and left. Like the right lane has a disease or something. I see it as a way around all the slow pokes. Go ahead everyone and clog the left lane. The right lane is empty for me.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
EVERYONE keeps middle and left. Like the right lane has a disease or something.
It's the way highways are designed in Texas
the entrance ramps don't have a nice acceleration lane, so people getting on the highway are pretty much "dumped" onto the highway. (see the picture on the right)

Last edited by Dopo; 04-08-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,534 times
Agree with the others, fairly common. Probably wasn't paying attention but then saw his chance at the last minute and took it.
This reminds me of the idiots who are in the wrong lane to make their turn at an intersection. So they will stop traffic completely so they can get over and not miss it. God forbid they continue straight ahead and make the next turn and double back.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Agree with the others, fairly common. Probably wasn't paying attention but then saw his chance at the last minute and took it.
This reminds me of the idiots who are in the wrong lane to make their turn at an intersection. So they will stop traffic completely so they can get over and not miss it. God forbid they continue straight ahead and make the next turn and double back.
And if they do, there's a 95% chance it will be a u-turn in a place where they clearly shouldn't do it
because it's too difficult to turn into a minor street and do the u-turn in there.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Or how about when people don't utilize the dedicated left turn lane to make a u turn and instead brake hard on the left lane, or fly from a shopping center and have the back half of their car sticking out into the road blocking it.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times
Those entrance ramps can be quite confusing when you're not used to Houston.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Those entrance ramps can be quite confusing when you're not used to Houston.
You should try the ones in Dallas. Some of those ramps are frightening. The only bad ramp I know of is Chimney Rock and I-59. I know some who will not even use it. It has never bothered me. I have a sports car which helps though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: