Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lol at Westchase and anywhere along Westhiemer west of 610, including Uptown.
Any city is walkable. The question is whether walking in that city offers an enjoyable experience. Houston is ranked the top city in Texas (kudos) but 23rd nationally: Most Walkable Cities in the United States and Canada on Walk Score. If folks are interested in improving this aspect of Houston's urbanity, I'd suggest they look at what makes some of the top 10 cities more appealing for pedestrians. For me, that includes a dense concentration of contiguous mixed development directly at sidewalk level (meaning no parking lots in front of retail, thus allowing "window shopping") along with a large number of other folks sharing the sidewalks to impart some vibrancy.

I suspect I would encounter few others walking 15 miles along Westheimer or Richmond on a summer afternoon (or any afternoon, for that matter). If that's a good thing for some, I respect your views. I just have different views and preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,587 times
Sorry, there is no way in hell that Houston is the most walkable city. As spread out as it is ... Austin is by many measures far more walkable/bikeable than Houston, not to mention how ugly Houston is comparably.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,942 times
Houston is worse than LA for being pedestrian. And how on Earth could houston be more pedestrian than San Antonio and Austin? There is no way in hades.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Sorry, there is no way in hell that Houston is the most walkable city. As spread out as it is ... Austin is by many measures far more walkable/bikeable than Houston, not to mention how ugly Houston is comparably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Houston is worse than LA for being pedestrian. And how on Earth could houston be more pedestrian than San Antonio and Austin? There is no way in hades.
Yes, you two anonymous guys on the Internet are right, and Walkscore is wrong. Ok, then!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Is that necessary? Are you still mad about the Huffpost article?

Most of the ugly in Houston is along freeways and major roads. Most walking will be done in the neighborhoods, so what's the point of your swipe? And not to forget that there are also some ugly freeways and areas in Austin too.

Truth is, all of the major Texas cities are big and spread out... some areas of town will be very walkable, and some won't.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
Since Friday night:

We walked a few blocks to a nice neighborhood bar for a glass of wine where we heard a great up & coming local singer. I walked to the drugstore to pick up my kiddo's Rx. Walked one of my kids to school, twice. Walked to eat Mexican food (so we could go all out on the chips without guilt). Walked over to the bank for a transaction and picked up some chicken at the store to BBQ. Yesterday, I walked the kids to a huge city park. I could go on & on but you get the idea.

It's not NYC where everything you need is right there on your half mile square block. But if you live in the city in a safe area of Houston, you can walk to many things.

Here's what you can easily see on foot in West Houston. Pictures are inside the beltway loop & some just out of the beltway. This isn't the suburbs for those unfamiliar with Houston.

City park in a canpoy of native trees next door to a library, vet clinic, Dr. offices & grocery store with homes & apts all in walking distance:

Houston actually has some Brownstones, they're pricey though...starting at 800k. Can walk to anything you need from these in under 5 mins. Top public schools in this area.

People walk & scooter to Ruggles:

hotels, condos, great eats & good shopping where people in nearby homes/apts walk all the time:

people out walking at night

more night walkers:

people are always cutting thru Hershey Park to walk to their offices in the Energy Corridor:

Bendwood Park next to a Gifted/Talented school & Pre K building. Not enough parking so walkers make up most of the people here:

Farmers Markets in the city - yum. Little parking in this area, many people arrive on foot.

Walk to the hopsital, if you're not in too much pain though! This is surrounded by homes, apts, townhomes:
[mod edit - copyrighted]

across from the hospital, walk to the mall

Last edited by Oildog; 04-10-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Oh Lizzy, I just don't know that I can keep looking at those photos! All...so...UGLY!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
I'm sorry AK, just look away & forget what you saw. Houston really is an eyesore. I shouldn't have scared everyone. Again, my apologies!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM

89 posts, read 152,953 times
It was crazy, but when I used to live near Hobby (hated that area, UGH) I once walked from there to Montrose!
It took like 4 hours, if I remember correctly. Never would do that again. Ha.

I finally moved to Montrose when I got more money. Yes, it's a very walkable area.
When I was still there I would walk all the time to the Kroger on Montrose Blvd.; I'd also occasionally walk to the Whole Foods on Waugh Dr. and many times to that strip mall on W. Gray (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, ect.).

Last edited by Dionysus; 04-10-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM

561 posts, read 972,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I'm sorry AK, just look away & forget what you saw. Houston really is an eyesore. I shouldn't have scared everyone. Again, my apologies!
OH riiiiight City Centre... the perfect example to prove to everyone that Houston is a more walkable city! And oh look theres a Studio Movie Grill there as well.

And there is nooo way these folks drove here... they must have definitely walked here. Those cars sitting in the multistory garage parking lots? Nah those are just there to make it seem that the garage is being used.

Houston is so beautiful, I mean look at those pictures, just wow, there is no way thats a facade, definitely indicative of the city as a whole.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston