Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
This guy is clearly mentally ill. I'm interested to know whether he ever had treatment or whether his family knew how disturbed he is. I heard a classmate on the radio yesterday saying that he would see the guy talking to objects. Uh, I think that might be a red flag to let someone know that somethings not right.
I heard similar things... that he would walk around campus talking to hand puppets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM

14 posts, read 43,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post
It was very apparent at late from what I have read as well. He was mocked continuously for having poor speech, a lot do with being deaf. A decade of that could easily make someone approach dysphoric mania.

Society is screwed up. This is how we unofficially remedy assistance to those with issues.

If he'd killed thousands, maybe people would seriously think about it. Too much of the same going on in this country.

It will happen again and as usual people will act surprised. How could someone do that?
I am with you baddoc. Mental illness is such a huge issues. Our prisons, homeless shelters....filled with mentally ill people. We spend billions on defence, but almost nothing on aiding these poor folks. Easier to lock them up or lock your window. I don't have the answer.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
A lot of ignorance in this thread.

1. "Gangstas" usually aren't the ones that snap and just do random public massacres like this. Look at columbine, va tech, the movie theatre, and connecticutt. What did all the assailants have in common? They certainly weren't from the "hood".

2. Blaming low admission standards and letting the "undesirables" in for this. I believe the va tech assailant was an engineering major and the movie theatre guy was in a doctorate program.

3. Acting like it's impossible for stuff like this to happen in a pretty nice area like Cy-Fair. Places like that are usually where these random, senseless massacres occur. Usually in the "hood" the bad stuff almost always happens between people that know each other or people who are actively wrapped up in something.
I guess the way I worded that sounded bad, I did not mean it in a disrespectful way. I know a lot of smart people that currently attend Lone Star in order to save money and what not.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
He got mocked because of a speech impedement, he talked to a random puppet. I'm sure he heard people always talking crap and making fun of him and he just got fed up with it. Honestly I feel these kids go on these rampages because they're fed up with people that continuously make fun of them or talk about them negatively.

It may not even be that, in society people are so negative and often rude to one another. Just look at articles or something in general where comments can be posted. Often, replies will include something that can fuel someone else. Even in this thread you got someone mentioning "*******s". That just makes someone else angry and to some people, they'll take it to the extreme.

I don't think there's much hope left until maybe the next generation but people need to follow the golden rule and become accepting of all people. we are humans and many just cant help it. I used to have a small imperfection and remember hearing comments from people. I think this is what triggers those that go crazy. They just don't care anymore.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM

193 posts, read 340,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
He got mocked because of a speech impedement, he talked to a random puppet. I'm sure he heard people always talking crap and making fun of him and he just got fed up with it. Honestly I feel these kids go on these rampages because they're fed up with people that continuously make fun of them or talk about them negatively.

It may not even be that, in society people are so negative and often rude to one another. Just look at articles or something in general where comments can be posted. Often, replies will include something that can fuel someone else. Even in this thread you got someone mentioning "*******s". That just makes someone else angry and to some people, they'll take it to the extreme.

I don't think there's much hope left until maybe the next generation but people need to follow the golden rule and become accepting of all people. we are humans and many just cant help it. I used to have a small imperfection and remember hearing comments from people. I think this is what triggers those that go crazy. They just don't care anymore.
I completely agree about this current generation screwing up the golden rule...mainly baby boomers and Generation X. George Carlin put it best, calling it the "give it to me, it's mine" generation.

transcript

The Baby Boomers Whinny, Narcissistic, Self-indulgent people, with a simple philosophy: “Give Me IT! It’s Mine!” “Give Me That! It’s Mine!” These people were given everything – everything was handed to them. And they took it all – took it all, sex, drugs and rock-n-roll and they stayed loaded for 20 years and had a free ride, but now they’re staring down the barrel of middle-age-burn out and they don’t like it, they don’t like it, so they turned self-righteous and they want to make things hard on younger people. They tell them to abstain from sex, say no to drugs, as for the Rock-n-Roll they sold that for television commercials a long time ago, so they could buy pasta machines, StairMaster’s and soybean futures;

You know something: they’re cold bloodless people, it’s in their slogans, it’s in their rhetoric; “no pain, no gain” “just do it” “life is short” “play hard” “**** happens” “deal with it” “get a life”. These people went from ‘do your own thing’ to ‘just say no’. They went from: “love is all you need” to “whoever winds up with the most toys wins”. And they went from ‘cocaine to Regaine’. They did.

And you know something they’re still counting grams, only now its fat grams.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

112 posts, read 208,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post

OK BUT being bullied is NO REASON to go bat---- crazy and stab people. Everyone gets picked on or has been bullied! It is a way of life and maybe these kids need to have a thicker skin. I know my dad made sure I knew how to laugh at myself and forget about the people who did do all the crap talking and bullying.

As for him talking to objects etc. are "you" saying "you" would have gone and told someone that? Someone talking to an object and being "odd" could be a million different things! No way you would be like "oh he's talking to the trash can, I better warn them that he might stab people later today."

I am 100% agreeing with you that there is a MAJOR need for help for the mentally ill in this country, MAJOR, but people need to be educated on it more maybe so there is a better understanding of WHAT it actually is! And seriously kids these days need to GET OVER THEMSELVES! Someone being mean is NOT A DEFENSE for ANYTHING!

Sorry I never "soap box" really but these issues make me... heated.

It is a horrible thing that happened and hopefully sooner rather than later there can be some steps taken to "prevent" these things from happening!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston