Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 PM

28 posts, read 39,569 times

Advertisements

I bought a 1950 bungalow, slab, and curious what tonnage your AC system is and what size your home is. My home is 1240 sq feet. Wondering if 2.5ton is enough, I plan on adding insulation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,751 times
All depends on the construction and energy efficiency of the house. Best thing to do is to have a manual j load calculation done and it will tell you exactly what size you need after you do any upgrades to insulation. I have a energy star home at 1900 sqft with a 3 ton system. 2.5 ton is probably about right for the age and size of your home.

Last edited by jasonamd; 04-13-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 AM

105 posts, read 144,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTexan1 View Post
I bought a 1950 bungalow, slab, and curious what tonnage your AC system is and what size your home is. My home is 1240 sq feet. Wondering if 2.5ton is enough, I plan on adding insulation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
My advice would be to do it right. Going too small will stress the system and kill your electricity bill, going too large will cool the house too quickly without being able to dehumidify.

I lived in an apartment with a system that was woefully undersized. During the summer it could not cool my apartment to any less than 78 degrees. It would run non-stop and finally cool to 74-75 around 2 or 3 AM.

Have a heat calc. done and be glad you did, especially in Houston.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin84 View Post
My advice would be to do it right. Going too small will stress the system and kill your electricity bill, going too large will cool the house too quickly without being able to dehumidify.

I lived in an apartment with a system that was woefully undersized. During the summer it could not cool my apartment to any less than 78 degrees. It would run non-stop and finally cool to 74-75 around 2 or 3 AM.

Have a heat calc. done and be glad you did, especially in Houston.
Partially true. A system running longer and cycling less often is more efficient and less stressful than a system that starts and stops often. A system that short cycles will cause humidity issues and actually cost more in electricity. You want the system to be running for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time to properly control humidity and reach peak efficiency. Anything less than that and your system is running less efficient and will not control humidity.

I believe the system design temp for Houston is around 96 degrees. Meaning when it is 96 degrees a properly designed system will maintain an indoor temperature of 78. To do this the system will run continuously. Of course, most all systems are slightly oversized.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM

105 posts, read 144,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
I believe the system design temp for Houston is around 96 degrees. Meaning when it is 96 degrees a properly designed system will maintain an indoor temperature of 78.
That is too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston