Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM

44 posts, read 121,551 times

Advertisements

I am looking for feedback, we have been renting in west university for almost 3 years , really want to buy a house there Close to job n great schools, both of us are physicians, the homes in west univ are very expensive, but in the last 3-4 moths the market there has really heated up , I think even 100-200k overpriced, I really loved a home which is 1.275million, but now an having second thoughts , it's not that we can't afford , but some people are telling us if the economy goes down even a little bit we could easily loose a lot of money n yet the interest rates are low n we are desperate to have a home n not move out of west university , will appreciate sincere feed backs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM

184 posts, read 314,829 times
Home values are spiking everywhere.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feibax View Post
I am looking for feedback, we have been renting in west university for almost 3 years , really want to buy a house there Close to job n great schools, both of us are physicians, the homes in west univ are very expensive, but in the last 3-4 moths the market there has really heated up , I think even 100-200k overpriced, I really loved a home which is 1.275million, but now an having second thoughts , it's not that we can't afford , but some people are telling us if the economy goes down even a little bit we could easily loose a lot of money n yet the interest rates are low n we are desperate to have a home n not move out of west university , will appreciate sincere feed backs
You will lose your a$$ if you buy overpriced in West U, more than likely.

My brother, who is much older than me has lived here forever. He heard the same thing in the 80's. "Buy in this hot place! Buy in that hot place! This time, the industries won't bust!"

Get a good, honest broker. You can even find a great one here (CD).

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Buy a house because you really like the neighborhood, not because you're trying to make money off of it.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
The worst 3 words I hear as a real estate professional: "My friend said" "People told us"

Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I would look across Bellaire BlVd at Braes Heights or Ayshire. Better High school, slightly lower cost, more breathing space.

West U is so congested and the street parking is out of control. I get closterphobia everytime I drive through there. Lamar isn't that great of a high school unless you are in upper levels..and still...

Old 04-07-2013, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 21,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Buy a house because you really like the neighborhood, not because you're trying to make money off of it.
^^
This

Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 21,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
Home values are spiking everywhere.
Yep, the "speculators" are at it, again

Old 04-07-2013, 01:36 PM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
We bought in West U twenty years ago at a little over $100 per square foot. Now the value of our land alone is more than we paid for the house and land back then. The close in location of West U means that it will always be very desirable for folks commuting to the med center and downtown. They say in the real estate business it is all about location, location, location. There were some slow times in the West U real estate market during the 2008 recession and the years immediately following it, but that was an aberration. The market is really hot again, and the builders are back to building spec houses. You can still find some houses below $1 million if you look carefully in the chimney section or the areas closer to Kirby and Holcombe. The elementary school is great.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
We bought in West U twenty years ago at a little over $100 per square foot. Now the value of our land alone is more than we paid for the house and land back then. The close in location of West U means that it will always be very desirable for folks commuting to the med center and downtown. They say in the real estate business it is all about location, location, location. There were some slow times in the West U real estate market during the 2008 recession and the years immediately following it, but that was an aberration. The market is really hot again, and the builders are back to building spec houses. You can still find some houses below $1 million if you look carefully in the chimney section or the areas closer to Kirby and Holcombe. The elementary school is great.
The further west you go in West U the greater value you will find. There are still some smaller properties that haven't been built to the max west of Weslayan (which is a mis-spelled street name btw) maybe even Community Dr. if you don't mind train tracks behind your house. Buy one of those and think about remodling...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston