Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,347 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Houston from Louisiana this summer and my husband will be driving downtown to work. We have two daughters in elementary school. So commute and schools are important. We have chosen Kingwood, but there are so many neighborhoods to choose from. I do have a realtor and will be visiting in a week or two to look at neighborhoods. Our budget for our home is $200,000. Please advise some neighborhoods in the Kingwood area. Most of the schools I have researched seem great. I want to live in a neighborhood with lots of young families so we can meet people. Thanks in advance for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,677,714 times
Kingwood is a brutal commute. I would look at Sugar Land. It is a better suburb and is much closer to downtown.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,347 times
We like Sugar Land, but we want to stay as close to NW Louisiana as possible as our older children our here in college. Any ideas for neighborhoods in Kingwood?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,349,194 times
Kingwood is great, I dont know which neighborhood would fit your needs/budget but dont let the SW lovers bash Kingwood, it is a great place to live and the NE commute times are better than most other quadrants for a given distance from DT.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,801,160 times
Aren't there also some new masterplanned places on the NE side that are closer to downtown than Kingwood is? I can't recall the names, maybe the people in/near those places will chime in.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,113,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Kingwood is a brutal commute. I would look at Sugar Land. It is a better suburb and is much closer to downtown.
Those who don't live in Kingwood always think it's "brutal commute" to downtown. What they don't understand is that you commute on the best freeway in Houston - it's wider than 45 and it's less congested an I-10. Technically speaking, Kingwood is further away from downtown when you are discussing miles, but you are able to commute to downtown FASTER than other areas (especially anywhere on the SW side) based on distance from downtown. (i.e. Kingwood is roughly 30 miles from downtown and takes about 40-45 minutes to get to downtown in rush hour (actual times depend on which neighborhood you are coming from of course). Sugar Land is roughly 20 miles from downtown and usually takes at least 45-60 minutes to get to downtown in rush hour). Plus it has a Park n Ride express that takes you to downtown, which took my husband about 40 minutes to drive there, park, get on the bus, and be in front of his building in the mornings). The closer you live to 59, the faster the commute. Once you are on 59, the commute from Kingwood to downtown outside of rush hour is about 25 minutes.

As far as Sugar Land being better? Depends on what you like. Not everyone believes that Sugar Land and Katy/Cinco Ranch are the only meccas of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Aren't there also some new masterplanned places on the NE side that are closer to downtown than Kingwood is? I can't recall the names, maybe the people in/near those places will chime in.
I believe you are thinking about communities such as:

*Fall Creek
*Summerwood
Lakeshore
Water's Edge
*Eagle Springs

(* - these communities are the top contenders for this area)

Last edited by lhafer; 04-13-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 PM

7,537 posts, read 11,531,677 times
If you take a look Sugarland is closer to downtown than Kingwood and the commute from Sugarland is really not that bad

Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,691,863 times
Take a look at Bear Branch in Kingwood at that price range.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,115,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TByrge View Post
We are relocating to Houston from Louisiana this summer and my husband will be driving downtown to work. We have two daughters in elementary school. So commute and schools are important. We have chosen Kingwood, but there are so many neighborhoods to choose from. I do have a realtor and will be visiting in a week or two to look at neighborhoods. Our budget for our home is $200,000. Please advise some neighborhoods in the Kingwood area. Most of the schools I have researched seem great. I want to live in a neighborhood with lots of young families so we can meet people. Thanks in advance for you help.
Kingwood is one of the few suburbs I do like. Good choice.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,115,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Lol, one is like 21 miles from DT(sugar land) the other is like 28 miles(Kingwood) its not that big of a difference. Now I can see if she said the Woodlands, that's a brutal commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston