Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM

286 posts, read 555,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathz View Post
I would suggest you rent in a subdivision that zoned to the school that you want your kids to go. You can try out that school and you don't need to move your kid to a different school when you buy. So do a study on which school you want your kids to go and then decide on what subdivision you want to rent. Riverstone and New Territory are zoned to exemplary schools and have the rental houses that fits your price range.
Elkins HS (Riverstone), Austin HS (New Territory, east of Grand Parkway) and Travis HS (New Territory, west of Grand Parkway) are rated Recognized, Clements is the only Exemplary HS in FBISD.

Sartaria MS which is exclusive to New Territory and Telfair (north of US-59) is rated Exemplary.

But New Territory's high school zoning is divided up also Telfair is zoned to Kempner (north of US-59) and Clements (south of US-59).

Kinda mean to the Sartaria kids to separate them after middle school like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM

188 posts, read 349,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
Elkins HS (Riverstone), Austin HS (New Territory, east of Grand Parkway) and Travis HS (New Territory, west of Grand Parkway) are rated Recognized, Clements is the only Exemplary HS in FBISD.

Sartaria MS which is exclusive to New Territory and Telfair (north of US-59) is rated Exemplary.

But New Territory's high school zoning is divided up also Telfair is zoned to Kempner (north of US-59) and Clements (south of US-59).

I agree. Perhaps after (if ever), telfair gets its own high school, then both east & west new territory along with telfair community together can attend same high school hopefully.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post

Fort Settlement MS is also rated exemplary. Part of Riverstone is zoned there as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM

61 posts, read 156,934 times
JaqueCosto said: Travis HS (New Territory, west of Grand Parkway) rated Recognized...

Can you guys give me some clarification on the difference between Richmond and Sugar Land because Travis appears to be addressed to Richmond, TX. Also, according to har.com Travis isn't recognized William B Travis High School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com though I do see it has really good ratings on greatschool.org William B Travis High School - Richmond, Texas - TX - School overview

This area (Richmond) could be one of interest for us, however, how is the commute to TMC.
And, yes, we definitely want to try to rent a home in a neighborhood where we will eventually buy.

I was kidding about the Dunkin Donuts - though I hear Sienna Plantation has one and if Ridge Point is a good neighborhood after all then Sienna is a big contender for us right now :-)

Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDoc77Fam View Post
JaqueCosto said: Travis HS (New Territory, west of Grand Parkway) rated Recognized...

Can you guys give me some clarification on the difference between Richmond and Sugar Land because Travis appears to be addressed to Richmond, TX. Also, according to har.com Travis isn't recognized William B Travis High School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com though I do see it has really good ratings on greatschool.org William B Travis High School - Richmond, Texas - TX - School overview

This area (Richmond) could be one of interest for us, however, how is the commute to TMC.
And, yes, we definitely want to try to rent a home in a neighborhood where we will eventually buy.

I was kidding about the Dunkin Donuts - though I hear Sienna Plantation has one and if Ridge Point is a good neighborhood after all then Sienna is a big contender for us right now :-)
LOL - yes, Dunkin Donuts WITH drive-thru is located at Hwy 6 & Sienna Parkway.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:

2010 Accountability Rating System
Sorry my mistake Travis was "Recognized" in 2010, but dropped in 2011. Kempner was "Academically Acceptable" then but went up to "Recognized" for 2011 The areas north of US-90 along Highway 6 zoned to Kempner are really more of a buffer between Alief and Sugar Land.

The FBISD zoned portion of Pecan Grove feeds into Travis HS and newly opened Bowie MS, Pecan Grove is nice but out of the way. Aliana is also zoned to those two but it's most likely out of your price range and I doubt there are any rental homes available either.

There is a lot of traffic and lights along US-90 north of US-59 making the commute a long one. Along US-90 south of US-59 it's a much easier commute to TMC. For the most part I'd advice staying south of US-59 unless you want to stay in New Territory particularly the portion zoned to Austin HS. However I'm not sure if you can find a rental in your price range there.

There may be rental homes in Sugar Creek, those would be zoned to Dulles MS/HS. Definitely rentals zoned to Clements in the older portions of First Colony. Or rentals in Sienna Plantation.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM

61 posts, read 156,934 times
JacqueCosto: Thank you so much for the clarification and advice. I have actually received a few rental listings from har.com in New Territory and Sugar Creek, and yes, lots of First Colony rentals all within our price range - so this is promising

Sampaguita: DD is so common in the Northeast, as you know, particularly Queens, NY where we are originally from - it is as much part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth in the morning. But I am sure that I can learn to deal by making my own coffee every morning at home

Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
JacqueCosto: Thank you so much for the clarification and advice. I have actually received a few rental listings from har.com in New Territory and Sugar Creek, and yes, lots of First Colony rentals all within our price range - so this is promising

Sampaguita: DD is so common in the Northeast, as you know, particularly Queens, NY where we are originally from - it is as much part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth in the morning. But I am sure that I can learn to deal by making my own coffee every morning at home
I hear you...I am forever in search of a "real" slice and a bagel that doesn't feel like a rock. I've found some decent pizza (2 places in Houston; Brooklyn Pizzeria in Missouri City a few doors down from Star Cinema Grill is pretty good). I get the iced lattes at DD which rivals Starbucks. DD's version in the "small" size is the same size as SB's "grande" but at least a dollar or more less.

I am sure you will find the perfect new home!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
No problem, after looking at har.com rental homes I realized $2,300/mo you can get basically anywhere in the suburbs, including Riverstone which would be zoned to Elkins HS. IMO, Elkins HS nowadays is as good as Dulles HS.

Fort Settlement MS like Sartaria MS is rated exemplary. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a home either in First Colony or Riverstone zoned to that school as well. Driving from Riverstone to TMC might be a bit out of the way however since Riverstone (LJ Pwky) and Sienna Plantation (Sienna Springs Dr) aren't yet connected.

Plenty of options...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM

http://www.riverstone.com/uploads/im...PC_Mar2013.pdf

Just checked Riverstone and Sienna Plantation will be connected sometime in late-2013 probably the same time the Fort Bend Toll Road is extension to Sienna Pwky is finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston