U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
 
3 posts, read 9,262 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

HISD Mandarin Chinese Language Immersion School (MCLIMS) is a new school (Opened in 2012). My daughter got a seat to join the 1st grade in coming fall. Since this year is the first year of MCLIMS, there is no reports on the performance yet.

Any parents who have kids in this school share some experience with MCLIMS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2013, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,668 posts, read 3,201,950 times
Reputation: 1063
No, but I would like you to eventually share your experiences! I just wrote an article about the Austin immersion school for the Mandarin Immersion Parents Council, website is http://miparentscouncil.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM
 
1,464 posts, read 2,471,356 times
Reputation: 1212
I heard their art teacher was really good and that he always went above and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 AM
 
421 posts, read 1,591,474 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I heard their art teacher was really good and that he always went above and beyond.
Mr. Liu is fabulous, my son loves art class. Unfortunately 2 classes attend art and other ancillary classes together. The classes were not full this year, so there is a 30 to 1 ratio in ancillary classes. Next year if the classes are full, which I think that they are, the ratio will increase to 38/40 to 1.

If you believe in the public school system, and think HISD provides a good curriculum you will probably be happy. Transferring from a private immersion school to MCLIMS was a last minute decision that my husband and I regret daily. My son is learning Mandarin and is able to converse in basic speeches with random strangers, BUT the standard HISD english curriculum does not provide any academic challenges. Gifted instruction amounts to extra papers in the weekly homework packet. I think that the teachers are capable and devoted, but stymied by HISD curriculum and policies.

I don't have anything positive to say about the administration. My son attended the campus based after school program two days a week and rode the bus home, the other days. On far too many occasions my 6 year old son was not on the bus when I went to pick him up from the neighborhood school.

The PTO is active, I stopped participating as I am counting down the days until the end of the school year.

There are many parents who are not pleased, but they want to give the school a chance to work out the problems. I don't believe that the curriculum or the administration will change, so I have no desire to give MCLIMS another year.

STARR Test scores at MCLIMS should remain the same as when it was Gordon Elementary. The 3rd, 4th and 5th grade classes are students from what once was Gordon elementary. Those students will be phased out over the next two years.

I am in a rush, so I hope that I have not rambled too much. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: #
9,600 posts, read 15,078,913 times
Reputation: 6301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Mr. Liu is fabulous, my son loves art class. Unfortunately 2 classes attend art and other ancillary classes together. The classes were not full this year, so there is a 30 to 1 ratio in ancillary classes. Next year if the classes are full, which I think that they are, the ratio will increase to 38/40 to 1.

If you believe in the public school system, and think HISD provides a good curriculum you will probably be happy. Transferring from a private immersion school to MCLIMS was a last minute decision that my husband and I regret daily. My son is learning Mandarin and is able to converse in basic speeches with random strangers, BUT the standard HISD english curriculum does not provide any academic challenges. Gifted instruction amounts to extra papers in the weekly homework packet. I think that the teachers are capable and devoted, but stymied by HISD curriculum and policies.

I don't have anything positive to say about the administration. My son attended the campus based after school program two days a week and rode the bus home, the other days. On far too many occasions my 6 year old son was not on the bus when I went to pick him up from the neighborhood school.

The PTO is active, I stopped participating as I am counting down the days until the end of the school year.

There are many parents who are not pleased, but they want to give the school a chance to work out the problems. I don't believe that the curriculum or the administration will change, so I have no desire to give MCLIMS another year.

STARR Test scores at MCLIMS should remain the same as when it was Gordon Elementary. The 3rd, 4th and 5th grade classes are students from what once was Gordon elementary. Those students will be phased out over the next two years.

I am in a rush, so I hope that I have not rambled too much. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
That's because with HISD, you are bascially choosing one or the other.

If you get the great immersion, you sacrifice the great GT program and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM
 
421 posts, read 1,591,474 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's because with HISD, you are bascially choosing one or the other.

If you get the great immersion, you sacrifice the great GT program and vice versa.

I would never use great to describe the MCLIMS program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
 
Location: #
9,600 posts, read 15,078,913 times
Reputation: 6301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
I would never use great to describe the MCLIMS program.
touché!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,668 posts, read 3,201,950 times
Reputation: 1063
Just curious, are parents and students not happy with the Chinese curriculum itself or about something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 PM
 
421 posts, read 1,591,474 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Just curious, are parents and students not happy with the Chinese curriculum itself or about something else?


I am dissatisfied with the administration and the strength of the English language curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM
 
3 posts, read 9,981 times
Reputation: 11
What was the private immersion school program you had him in before? I was unaware that there were any for mandarin in elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top