Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,617 times

Advertisements

I do Jason Bourne escape dives across my living room when I see a roach, and the roaches I see in Los Angeles, well at least in my apartment tend to be 1/3 of an inch if that (and I see them very maybe once a year).

Now I searched this forum and read about 2 inch flying roaches that knock on your door asking to come in because they are so huge. I really hope this is not the case. Please tell me this is not the case. I was very close to buying a 3 br condo in downtown houston for a price for a one bedroom here in So Cal. I really want this to work, please do not tell me you have giant flying roaches, because if you do, it will be like finding out that perfect girl you were about to marry was formerly a man, I just can't look past it.

I visited Houston by the way, stayed in the Galleria area. The humidity was not as bad as people claimed. The diversity was great because I felt like I was in So Cal. I didn't see any bugs though but I stayed at the Hotel most of the time.

Great looking women, friendly people, god I am such a Hollywimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
If you're going to buy a condo then the property should have some maintenance that works toward preventing bugs. Like spraying around the perimeter of buildings and keeping clean areas that are attractive to roaches. There's a chance you may never see a roach (water bug, whatever)

But do yourself a favor. Go to the hardware store and get some boric acid, in tablet form or powder. Put these tabs or powder near cracks in cabinets, behind the stove and fridge. If there are holes in the wall where plumbing comes through, cover those holes. This will assist with weather control as well. Don't put the boric acid where kids or other animals might lap it up, just wouldn't be healthy.

Don't worry, they're not gonna come looking for you. If one knocks, it'll probly have cake or cookies and be acting friendly. It'll probly be that girl that was a man.

Buy the condo, have a good time, welcome to Texas.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM

90 posts, read 362,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebust View Post
I do Jason Bourne escape dives across my living room when I see a roach, and the roaches I see in Los Angeles, well at least in my apartment tend to be 1/3 of an inch if that (and I see them very maybe once a year).

Now I searched this forum and read about 2 inch flying roaches that knock on your door asking to come in because they are so huge. I really hope this is not the case. Please tell me this is not the case. I was very close to buying a 3 br condo in downtown houston for a price for a one bedroom here in So Cal. I really want this to work, please do not tell me you have giant flying roaches, because if you do, it will be like finding out that perfect girl you were about to marry was formerly a man, I just can't look past it.

I visited Houston by the way, stayed in the Galleria area. The humidity was not as bad as people claimed. The diversity was great because I felt like I was in So Cal. I didn't see any bugs though but I stayed at the Hotel most of the time.

Great looking women, friendly people, god I am such a Hollywimp.

Okay, I'm exactly the same. I have an irrational phobia of those large roaches. Yes, they are in Houston, yes, they can be two inches, and yes, they fly. BUT, they don't swarm and you'll only see one every now and then (as long as you don't look too long at sewer grates). Houston's a great place to live, don't decide not to move here just because you'll see a nasty bug every once in awhile.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM

34 posts, read 131,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebust View Post
...the roaches I see in Los Angeles, well at least in my apartment tend to be 1/3 of an inch if that (and I see them very maybe once a year).

Now I searched this forum and read about 2 inch flying roaches that knock on your door asking to come in because they are so huge. I really hope this is not the case...
I came here from L.A. too. Hate to tell ya, but it is the case. The good news is those are what we call tree roaches, and they live outdoors. They don't come from bad housekeeping, etc.; when they come in, it's usually by accident. They're mostly around during the hottest part of the year. Sometimes one will zoom past you when you open the door, but in my experience it's fairly rare. I've been here for years and it only seems to happen a few times a season. Just gotta hunt em down and smack em when they do sneak in.

So don't let it dissuade your plans, and welcome to Texas.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 31,708 times
Quarterly spraying is just part of the household maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston