Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM

287 posts, read 363,377 times

Advertisements

My mother in law is at MD Anderson for radiation treatment and misses her grandkids, so we are taking an overnight trip to Houston tomorrow. We'd like to take her to dinner somewhere nearby, not a chain or fast food, but not too fancy since she didn't pack anything for that. Something in the medical center area would be nice so she doesn't have to travel too far, but we can travel a little bit if necessary. I urbanspooned and yelped but it seems like mostly the same chain food places we have in San Antonio in the Med Center area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
I like Raven Grill.

My family went there unexpectedly so we were dressed VERY casually and even though we were a bit underdressed, they were perfectly nice to us.

The Pecan Crusted Chicken is delicious.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
There are lots of good places near there. There not many chain places near there. Go to the Rice Village which is just on the other side of Rice U. Raven Grill, Mi Luna, and Benjy's. I would head over to Montrose which is about 10minutes from the Med Center. That is where the best places in Houston are. Houston is most known for Tex-Mex food. I would hit Lupe Tortilla. It is pretty close too. Maybe a full extra 3 minutes from the Rice Village. When people move from Houston and come back home. They all want to hit mexican food because it is hard to find good mexican food outside of Houtson.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM

46 posts, read 104,587 times
I also like Rice Village. Or, if you want to stay really close, you could go to Treviso, in the TMC Commons building. The MD Anderson Rotary House also has a restaurant. Actually, you could stay there and be really close to her.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 PM

9 posts, read 55,764 times
Treviso inside the TMC Commons Building is excellent. It might be easy for her post therapy.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM

241 posts, read 585,684 times
Rice Village is only five minutes away and has so many great places. I second the recommendation for Mi Luna, a tapas restaurant where you can order many small plates and share.

I hope that she is well soon.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
It's too late to help the OP for this trip, but I'll 2nd the Raven Grill suggestion.

In Rice Village, I generally prefer El Meson (Cuban, Mexican, plus tapas) to Mi Luna (more focused on tapas). Despite the more limited selection of tapas, I've enjoyed them more at El Meson. I also like some of the Cuban dishes there. OTOH, I tried Mi Luna's Sunday buffet a couple of times in the past and enjoyed it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston