Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 PM

86 posts, read 72,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How is that different from all the other cities in the United States?
Because most U.S. cities don't have an African American population as high as Houston. Segregation is not being done as obviously and intentionally as in Houston.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
The very wealthy parts of the city are still mostly white with some Asians. If Asians are moving in to those areas en masse it is not necessarily seen as a good thing. Reasons being... They are often targets of crime... Bullies seem to think they hoard cash and jewels at home, causing burglaries. They typically suck the utility value out of their homes and leave it dated or worse upon move out which ultimately devalues the neighborhood. If there is a large concentration You can forget about any possibility of a sense of community organically growing as they are typically all about themselves. There is a pervasive culture of cheating and many are linked to prostitution and human trafficking.

Not saying this is right but in the upper crust of the city these thoughts are very common.
Most of the Asians living in Sugar Land are professionals. The small business owners that hoard the cash at home are usually Vietnamese and there are not too many of them in SL.

The top 4 elementary school in Sugar Land are all Asian majority so your assumption is pretty much way off.

Sugar Land is a rarity in the city as it is the only area that is wealthy and is not white majority.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:56 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
The very wealthy parts of the city are still mostly white with some Asians. If Asians are moving in to those areas en masse it is not necessarily seen as a good thing. Reasons being... They are often targets of crime... Bullies seem to think they hoard cash and jewels at home, causing burglaries. They typically suck the utility value out of their homes and leave it dated or worse upon move out which ultimately devalues the neighborhood. If there is a large concentration You can forget about any possibility of a sense of community organically growing as they are typically all about themselves. There is a pervasive culture of cheating and many are linked to prostitution and human trafficking.

Not saying this is right but in the upper crust of the city these thoughts are very common.
I guess if I see an Asian guy I shouldn't refer to him as a Charlie, but a John.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
Because most U.S. cities don't have an African American population as high as Houston. Segregation is not being done as obviously and intentionally as in Houston.
I'll ask again,
how is that different than any other major city such as New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia and Miami?
(I'm referring to the comment "The very wealthy parts of the city are still mostly white with some Asians.")

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Metropolitan Area Black Population PercentBlack
1 New York, NJ-NY 3,362,616 18%
2 Atlanta, GA 1,707,913 32%
3 Chicago, IL 1,645,993 17%
4 Washington, DC 1,438,436 26%
5 Philadelphia, PA 1,241,780 21%
6 Los Angeles, CA 1,230,023 7%
7 Miami, FL 1,169,185 21%
8 Houston, TX 1,025,775 17%

Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM

259 posts, read 350,111 times
Quote:
Who, in your mind, is intentionally segregating whites and blacks? How are they doing it? Please point us to some piece of legislature that is 'obviously and intentionally' aimed at segregating the city.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampac66 View Post
Who, in your mind, is intentionally segregating whites and blacks? How are they doing it? Please point us to some piece of legislature that is 'obviously and intentionally' aimed at segregating the city.
Oh, oh, Shrek, pick me, pick me!!!!

In the malls and restaurants that they want to remain white, they play a lot of Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and One Direction. It's psychological warfare.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll ask again,
how is that different than any other major city such as New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia and Miami?
(I'm referring to the comment "The very wealthy parts of the city are still mostly white with some Asians.")

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Metropolitan Area Black Population PercentBlack
1 New York, NJ-NY 3,362,616 18%
2 Atlanta, GA 1,707,913 32%
3 Chicago, IL 1,645,993 17%
4 Washington, DC 1,438,436 26%
5 Philadelphia, PA 1,241,780 21%
6 Los Angeles, CA 1,230,023 7%
7 Miami, FL 1,169,185 21%
8 Houston, TX 1,025,775 17%
African Americans are better off in each of the major cities that you've been kind enough to list than they are in Houston.

Quote:
Your people of course, not that I'm against segregation. It's denying the fact that it's being intentionally done in order to keep a portion of the wealth in West Europeans hands that offends me. I'm actually for segregating away from people who are of West European descent. African Americans don't need people of West European descent and I wish that more of them realized that.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

259 posts, read 350,111 times
Quote:
Your people of course, not that I'm against segregation. It's denying the fact that it's being intentionally done in order to keep a portion of the wealth in West Europeans hands that offends me. I'm actually for segregating away from people who are of West European descent. African Americans don't need people of West European descent and I wish that more of them realized that.
Haha.... what?

Who are "my people"? You have no idea what I look like or where i'm from.

There's no point in arguing with people wearing tin foil hats... i'm off to my secret Skill and Bones meeting where we use jedi mind tricks to force anyone of color to live far away from all of the white people where they can't threaten our wealth and power.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Haha.... what?

Who are "my people"? You have no idea what I look like or where i'm from.

There's no point in arguing with people wearing tin foil hats... i'm off to my secret Skill and Bones meeting where we use jedi mind tricks to force anyone of color to live far away from all of the white people where they can't threaten our wealth and power.
I hope you guys' succeed. That way, we African Americans can work out our own problems without your interference.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, oh, Shrek, pick me, pick me!!!!

In the malls and restaurants that they want to remain white, they play a lot of Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and One Direction. It's psychological warfare.
Pedro, you are mocking the idea that culture plays a role in segregation, yet in other posts, you say "it's culture." What gives? Oh, and by the way, Justin Bieber is black music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston