Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM

270 posts, read 478,279 times

Advertisements

Bad yes,but when I think of dangerous I think of Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn. Harlem. A lot of places in NYC. There some really heartless people in those areas. Most are trying to live like everyone else. Except they do what they feel is best to survive,right or wrong. A lot of good,but some cold people among them.

As bad as I think my neighborhoods of Dorchester and Mattapan were as a kid in Boston,I'd say NY has some really bad places. In the sense of if you were 'wandering' through and no one knew you. You stick out in places like that no matter where you're at. Same in sunny side I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Spoken like a true suburbanite. Meyerland is nowhere even near the ghetto and is one of the nicest areas in Houston. Same goes for Westbury and Willow Bend which are nice but they are honestly kind of boring and have nothing really going for them.
Exactly. I lived in the area and never had a problem. Must live in The Woodland or Sugarland.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
Bad yes,but when I think of dangerous I think of Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn. Harlem. A lot of places in NYC. There some really heartless people in those areas. Most are trying to live like everyone else. Except they do what they feel is best to survive,right or wrong. A lot of good,but some cold people among them.

As bad as I think my neighborhoods of Dorchester and Mattapan were as a kid in Boston,I'd say NY has some really bad places. In the sense of if you were 'wandering' through and no one knew you. You stick out in places like that no matter where you're at. Same in sunny side I'm sure.
Lol Bed-Stuy and most of western Brooklyn is hipster heaven now. https://www.airbnb.com/locations/new...ord-stuyvesant Like, completely overrun. Bed-stuy is still gentrifying and it would probably seem dangerous to people who aren't used to such a dense environment, but it's hardly a bastion of violent crime. I have more than a couple of friends who are girls that I went to BU with that live there. The only places that are still sketchy are the areas that are literally all projects like Brownsville and East New York. Stereotypical NYC is now more found in The Bronx.

Dorchester really isn't that bad though and it's certainly gentrified now with Savin Hill. Mattapan is still a little rough but on a national scale, still not terrible as some of the worst places in the Midwest.

One's obviously more likely to feel threatened, even if the statistical chance of a threat is low if you're not like the people who live there though.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-01-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Lol Bed-Stuy and most of western Brooklyn is hipster heaven now. https://www.airbnb.com/locations/new...ord-stuyvesant Like, completely overrun. Bed-stuy is still gentrifying and it would probably seem dangerous to people who aren't used to such a dense environment, but it's hardly a bastion of violent crime. I have more than a couple of friends who I went to BU with that live there. The only places that are still sketchy are the areas that are literally all projects like Brownsville and East New York. Stereotypical NYC is now more found in The Bronx.

Dorchester really isn't that bad and it's certainly gentrified now with Savin Hill. Mattapan is still a little rough but on a national scale, still not terrible as some of the worst places in the Midwest.

Savin Hill has been white for as long as I've ever known. As a matter of fact,it's always been white. Salvin Hill was the station right before mine in fields corner. New Kids on the Block where from the salvin hill area. Never known for big crime if I ever knew any. I'm talking about places like fields corner, codman square,castle gate road,Blue Hill ave. Then there was Roxbury, humboldt ave, Dudley Station. Places I was around and lived. I lived on Morton street of Blue Hill ave in Mattapan. Worse places now in Boston is probably Roxbury,Mattapan, and Dorchester in that order. But no place down here bothers me at all. Different mentality down south.

As for Mattapan on a national scale....that's why I said It was bad to me,but certainly not on a national scale like NY. Plus I never put it out there like that. So you grew up in Boston and went to BU ?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Lol Bed-Stuy and most of western Brooklyn is hipster heaven now. https://www.airbnb.com/locations/new...ord-stuyvesant Like, completely overrun. Bed-stuy is still gentrifying and it would probably seem dangerous to people who aren't used to such a dense environment, but it's hardly a bastion of violent crime. I have more than a couple of friends who are girls that I went to BU with that live there. The only places that are still sketchy are the areas that are literally all projects like Brownsville and East New York. Stereotypical NYC is now more found in The Bronx.

Dorchester really isn't that bad though and it's certainly gentrified now with Savin Hill. Mattapan is still a little rough but on a national scale, still not terrible as some of the worst places in the Midwest.

One's obviously more likely to feel threatened, even if the statistical chance of a threat is low if you're not like the people who live there though.

I agree. That's why in my first post I mentioned if you're wandering hrough a neighborhood, stick out or draw attention....you'll get attention. Or like you said...feel threatened. As a kid in Boston I would have felt threatened in Savin Hill.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
They're not but they're a short car drive from Fondren SW and that's the problem for me.

Meyerland ain't that far from Fondren/Sharpstown. You can drive from 59 to Meyerland in like 15 minutes maybe 20 give or take. I'm not in a bubble in the burbs out here. There's tons of apartments but they are $400-500 a month. Not everyone who lives in those prices are bad but for the good number that are they have friends that come to them.

Exactly! But like I said those are mostly lower income apartments. Doesn't matter what shade of the rainbow lives there.

Like that old lady minding her own damn business last year who was killed in Westbury. Nice area housing but some bastards from some apartments felt the need to break in and steal some jewerly and people defending themselves get killed? Hell no.

At least in the burbs there's a bunch of you. The riff raff aren't targeting the lone few streets of nice ness surrounded by apartments. There's more houses so you're less likely to get robbed. There's like 300 houses to pass up before you get to you for that riff raff vs 50 nice $280k one story verses tons of apartment complexes.

There's strength in numbers is my "burb" mentality as far as random crimes.

Like those houses down Antoine. WHY live in a mansion a walk from the corner store in Acres Homes? You stick out like a sore thumb. There's nothing bland in the suburbs but it's nice to blend in meaning all the houses look different yet work together.

It's nice McMansion, shack, apartment complex, complex, bungalow, bungalow, shack shack, shack you know dealer live in, mansion. Who you gonna rob? The people close by easy target and not difficult to find.
This doesn't in any way describe Westbury/Meyerland. Westbury, Maplewood S/N, Meyerland, plus the other subdivisions in the area constitute a HUGE area of solid, upper-middle-class, nice housing without any ghetto. Yes, if you keep going west, you hit sketchy neighborhoods. But it's hardly a matter of the "lone few streets of niceness" in a sea of ghetto.

I have no interest in convincing you; stay out of Westbury, for all I care. But don't publicly denigrate a neighborhood when you clearly know nothing about it.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
They're not but they're a short car drive from Fondren SW and that's the problem for me.

Meyerland ain't that far from Fondren/Sharpstown. You can drive from 59 to Meyerland in like 15 minutes maybe 20 give or take. I'm not in a bubble in the burbs out here. There's tons of apartments but they are $400-500 a month. Not everyone who lives in those prices are bad but for the good number that are they have friends that come to them.

Exactly! But like I said those are mostly lower income apartments. Doesn't matter what shade of the rainbow lives there.

Like that old lady minding her own damn business last year who was killed in Westbury. Nice area housing but some bastards from some apartments felt the need to break in and steal some jewerly and people defending themselves get killed? Hell no.

At least in the burbs there's a bunch of you. The riff raff aren't targeting the lone few streets of nice ness surrounded by apartments. There's more houses so you're less likely to get robbed. There's like 300 houses to pass up before you get to you for that riff raff vs 50 nice $280k one story verses tons of apartment complexes.

There's strength in numbers is my "burb" mentality as far as random crimes.

Like those houses down Antoine. WHY live in a mansion a walk from the corner store in Acres Homes? You stick out like a sore thumb. There's nothing bland in the suburbs but it's nice to blend in meaning all the houses look different yet work together.

It's nice McMansion, shack, apartment complex, complex, bungalow, bungalow, shack shack, shack you know dealer live in, mansion. Who you gonna rob? The people close by easy target and not difficult to find.
Alot of those houses were there before the apartments and actually not bad areas when you get to the areas with houses surrounding them. You come off a little too paranoid. Where exactly do you reside in Houston esp. if you group westbury with SW Fondron.

Quote:

Bed-Stuy and Harlem are damn near gentrified Havens at this point.
As far as that section of 3rd Ward I have a hard time buying that one and I didn't see any evidence to back that one up. Alot of 3rd ward residents are pissed about it and scratching their head about this one. Then again I think this could be a cover up to speed up the gentrification of 3rd ward. I know outsiders will paint me as a conspiracy theorist but im not the only one who feels this way and it's been done before *cough4thwardcough*.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 AM

286 posts, read 555,136 times
Elsik is living up to its reputation, Shadow Lake just like neighboring Royal Oaks is gated.
Body found in lake behind Elsik High School | khou.com Houston

CPS worker hospitalized for the year, 5 miles from the Memorial Villages, but that's Houston one minute youre in a one of Houston's wealthiest communities and the next the hood.
Somerset Apartments
8001 W Tidwell Road
3 arrested after CPS worker attacked in NW Houston | khou.com Houston

Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 AM

34 posts, read 48,477 times
Quote:

Have you been to the places in NYC that you mentioned? As you see NYC isn't on that list and has lower crime per capita than other major cities including Houston. Crime can happen anywhere, but the two places you mentioned have less of it than those Houston neighborhoods.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
All large cities have poor/violent areas. This is just how it goes. We don't have enough money to pay police to reduce the crime. Even then poverty is the problem. As long as people are poor they will commit crimes to get by. It is a mixture of national, state, and local government problems. I won't get into solutions because it will just end up in a huge argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston