U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM

189 posts, read 532,853 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new here and hoping i can get feedback and/or recommendation on a new home. We are interested in a new home in the Southwest area and was thinking about buying a new home from either Coventry or David Weekley Homes in Fulshear. A friend suggested that perhaps i could buy a residential land lot and hire one of the builders to "build on your lot" as he said the price would be cheaper as the builder tend to jack up the price.

I then google and found "coventry build on your lot website" and went there to check it out. The price of the model for the build on your lot is almost the same as the price i would have them build on their lot. Can someone comment/recommend a reputable home builder in Houston that is of high quality and trustworthy who are not expensive. Also please give me advise pro/con of buying from their lot instead of buying my lot and have them built.

Also need opinon regarding subdivision Church Chill Farms VS Fulbrook on Fulshear Creek. These are both in Fulshear.

Thanks.
Nathan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM

9,053 posts, read 15,873,369 times
It usually winds up being cheaper to get one of their lots, by the time you account for a separate lot purchase and a construction loan.

On builders - trustworthy and high-quality will never equal cheap. Especially now, when builders cannot keep up with homes on their lots. If you go with a more custom builder, the price goes up further.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 AM

498 posts, read 763,334 times
If money is not an option I would choose Fulbrook over anything on FM1463 any day of the week. I say that having recently bought in Woodcreek Reserve, and I love it here. However, if I could afford a home in Fulbrook, it would be worth it for the layout of the neighborhood.

If you're worried about amenities, they'll catch up to Fulbrook soon enough.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks gsmj and cheryjohns for your info/recommendation. I'd probably go with fulbrook and them builder on their lot to save cost. Thanks again.

Last edited by xecluded; 05-01-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM

433 posts, read 613,442 times
Lots of people want to build on their lot to escape HOA restrictions and costs while keeping a quality home.
You do lose features in master plan communities. Pools etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,291,723 times
Just curious how do you escape HOA restrictions buying a lot? You mean buying a lot not in a neighborhood? I have never found HOA restrictions to be a real big deal. Some have some weird setback rules though. Strict HOA rules are good for home values. Areas with no HOA will generally have a much lower value. As for the original question. It will be cheaper using their lot. They build in mass cheaper than a smaller builder can.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM

117 posts, read 176,756 times
Fulbrook is VERY nice. A couple considerations...

Insurance: If I recall correctly, Fulbrook has no fire hydrants. And the flood zone, particularly near the Brazos River, may have been recently increased.

Builders: Check to see if you can use any builder of your choice. Some developments require you to use one of their "preferred" builders.

You might take a look at Weston Lakes just west of Fulbrook. Lots are relatively inexpensive and you can use a builder of your choice. I live in Weston Lakes. But if cost were no concern, I'd love to live in Fulbrook.

Last edited by creekstone; 05-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: quote error

Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM

The area that i am interested in does have HOA - it is about $1200 a year. I have decided to go with the builder on their lot to save cost.

Is Fulbrook really in the flood zone - that is something for me to reconsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston