Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,152,789 times

Advertisements

- You can't beat the Vietnamese food in this city, and I've been to many a city.
True

-The richest neighborhoods have the crappiest roads.
False - Take a look at River Oaks, West U, Memorial

-Houston is the least "Texan" city in the state.
I would ad Austin to that list

-There aren't really any good school districts in the area, but there are some outstanding schools.
Somewhat true

-If you are from California, you are correct when you say your schools are far superior to ours (this is because we are still stuck in the industrial mindset while California is preparing the kids for tech).
What? This makes no sense.

-NEVER argue with a Joel Osteen follower.
Very true

-We have a more diversified economy than most Texas cities, but if oil were to slump everyone would head back to where they came from.
Perhaps

-You can't get really good authentic Mexican food/pastries west of 45.
I-45 is a very long freeway. Plenty of options especially inside the city.

-People here are friendly, but they will stand up for themselves if you mess with them.
True

-We have wonderful parks that are quite underrated.
True

-If you like spending 400 dollars a square foot for what was once some immigrant's shack, look at The Heights.
True, but a bit exaggerated

-Uptown has the most potential out of all the neighborhoods due to location, location, location.
Not Uptown. Uptown has seen it's prime, but many neighborhood inside the loop are on the way up. Uptown is overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 AM

480 posts, read 1,697,851 times
-If you drive on a street far enough, it's name will change.

-If a new highway is built rather quickly, it is probably a toll road.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,685,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Feel free to add:
I completely agree with this, as a native who has lived all over. You can get "good" Mexican food all over the city but the cream of the crop is east of I-45, where you don't find (m)any C-Ders. Competition is fierce, and on par with the best of what you'd find in San Antonio and McAllen.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,635,711 times
Where did you come up with all these things? Must have taken some thinking.

Yes indeed the wealthiest neighborhoods have the worst roads. No doubts there. Some are almost impassable like a 3rd world country. Maybe the rich people like it that way so us peasants don't go too fast on their precious anointed grounds.

I like that post a few above this..........how true and almost hilarious.
-If you drive on a street far enough, it's name will change.

-If a new highway is built rather quickly, it is probably a toll road.

That brings to mind something else. All these Alda stores going up now. I have one about a minute walk from my house and it's just barreling towards a lightning fast grand opening. Then I look at government projects that take years just to think about planning a project.

And finally, this may be the only city in the world who does not have road repair crews who fill in pot holes with cold patch. Well it's better then nothing. For Alignment shops and tire shops, they tell me this is the most lucrative city in the world.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,139,311 times
Quote:
Feel free to add:

-You can't beat the Vietnamese food in this city, and I've been to many a city.

-There aren't really any good school districts in the area, but there are some outstanding schools.

-If you are from California, you are correct when you say your schools are far superior to ours (this is because we are still stuck in the industrial mindset while California is preparing the kids for tech).

-We have a more diversified economy than most Texas cities, but if oil were to slump everyone would head back to where they came from.

-People here are friendly, but they will stand up for themselves if you mess with them.

-If you like spending 400 dollars a square foot for what was once some immigrant's shack, look at The Heights.

-Uptown has the most potential out of all the neighborhoods due to location, location, location.

Agree, rip, add or a combination is fine
Lol, come on dude you lose all credibility when you say stuff like California has better schools. I do agree that rich neighborhoods have terrible roads, has anybody tried riding down buffalo speedway in West U?

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,557,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
1. So so true

2. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Made me literally spit out a pretzel.
You want to know who told me that about The Heights? My father in law, who is an immigrant (migrant worker supervisor for ages) when we were looking at houses.

He saw some of the houses there and that's what he told us in Spanish.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, come on dude you lose all credibility when you say stuff like California has better schools. I do agree that rich neighborhoods have terrible roads, has anybody tried riding down buffalo speedway in West U?

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards
14Bricks, I've been in education a very long time. California just kills us overall.

I've known a lot of Californians over the years and I have yet to meet one who has been happy with education in Texas. Their biggest complaint generally is that there kids come her seemingly one to two years ahead.

And I've had everyone from drill seargents to hippie trippie types tell me this is the case.

I think you need to consider that perhaps the reason the lower socieo-economic students (many who know limited English) do so much better in Texas is because our curriculum is quite inferior.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM

This principal is really dragging his feet with his paperwork, so I obviously just have waaaay too much time on my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
- You can't beat the Vietnamese food in this city, and I've been to many a city.
True

False - Take a look at River Oaks, West U, Memorial Huh? River Oaks roads are horrendous! And West U and most of the Memorial area isn't in Houston.

I would ad Austin to that list I wouldn't. It's just the "liberal" version of Texas which is kind of like saying Rumor Willis is the beautiful Moore

Somewhat true

What? This makes no sense. It does if you are in education. It makes perfect sense.

Very true

Perhaps

I-45 is a very long freeway. Plenty of options especially inside the city.

True

True

True, but a bit exaggerated

Not Uptown. Uptown has seen it's prime, but many neighborhood inside the loop are on the way up. Uptown is overrated.
My reasoning is location. Uptown most definitely has not hit its prime. They are building like crazy over there now. Also, the vast majority of families are now priced out of ITL, leaving them to buy in the new middle class hotspot between 610/8/WestPark and San Felipe (general) This is turning Uptown into their downtown.

Thanks for your responses, by the way. Fridays are the worst for my job. And sorry about the bolds. I'm on a tablet.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,480,367 times
The Richest neighborhoods in the metro are near the bayou. The bayou increases the instabiltiy of the concrete. However, this doesn't explain the more western portions of San Felipe, that have always been a nightmare.

Ps: add Second Baptist church members to Joel Olsteen. Those people are freakingly, hypocritically, social climbingly off their rockers. Know few, and we run from them at gatherings.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,139,311 times
Quote:
14Bricks, I've been in education a very long time. California just kills us overall.

I've known a lot of Californians over the years and I have yet to meet one who has been happy with education in Texas. Their biggest complaint generally is that there kids come her seemingly one to two years ahead.

And I've had everyone from drill seargents to hippie trippie types tell me this is the case.

I think you need to consider that perhaps the reason the lower socieo-economic students (many who know limited English) do so much better in Texas is because our curriculum is quite inferior.
That's just your opinion. I could see if you said Cali has better universities than Texas, then I wouold agree 100%. But public schools? Hell not they are not better, did you even look at the link I posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston