Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM

70 posts, read 111,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epignosis View Post
Ok, I think this wraps up this case: You studied, lived and worked in Europe. You speak the European Language, aside from English and your mother tongues. You have multiple academic degrees, I think 5 from what you are saying (40% in Europe and 60% in US -- 2+3). Geee - what are you doing with all those???

This is very likely to be the issue: Just as a scenario, any hiring manager who reviews your resume, will honestly expect a highly educated European (caucassian) to walk in, because, your resume "screams" European/Caucassian. When you end walking in, no offfense now, they are "dissappointed". That would very well explain all the frowning, double/tripple/quadruple-takes, and astonishment that you say you have experienced when they first see you. I knew there had to something else going on, but frankly I am also surprised!

I think it is a very valid reaction - one of total shock. If I were in their shoes, I would probably get "mad" as I would feel this is a "scam". However, I don't think that you should be "punished" for it. The hiring manager you met at the airport appears to be very professional and his behavior matches his corporate identity or level. But in the case of the other guy in the small town, you probably messed up his mind and left him in disbelief all along, not to talk of resentment; hence he wanted to just end it - dissappoinment over your race and high education: not sure where to put this one, as I said, this could be institutional racism or discrimination.

You may need to come up with a creative way, to let them know that you are not European/Caucassian prior to them seeing you physically when you get another in-person interview, but to be fair, that should not really matter or be an issue, as you have been successful at interviewing with other execs. But just to avoid uncalled for attitudes from some hiring managers, you may want to consider this. Well, when you get to Houston, I hope you meet managers like the one you mentioned at the ariport, who are open minded and willing to overlook the surprise factor and focus on matters. Good luck...
Thanks Epignosis, I like the way you come to your conclusion by handling the facts of the matter first, and not subjecting them to personal opinion or bias, but keeping them as "raw" as they were presented. I am beginning to feel the same way, that studying in Europe and speaking a non-English European language may have a lot to do with it [the surprise factor].

Quite honestly, everyone on every occasion appears surprised when I walk in [understandably so], however, some are pleasantly surprised and others are repulsed/annoyed. I have noticed, I usually end up getting the offer from those who are surprised, albeit, pleasantly, and who have a broader worldview. I had considered placing my high school diploma on there, to kind of make a statement, "hey, I am not European", but it is unnecessary, really, especially when I hear of all the diversity and open-mindedness in Houston. So I don't anticipate being "penalized" for this in Houston. Who knows, it make work to my benefit, as opposed to my detriment, as it appears to be in small towns.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 AM

131 posts, read 537,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Talk View Post
RPS13, I think your are missing a very apparent point that everyone who has contributed to this post so far, has readily understood, based on the sequence of all the facts. I don't mean to be rude or any of that, but frankly it is beginning to be worrisome, because the inability to gather data, transform them into information, then take action and come to a valid data-driven conclusion is a serious deficiency in today's work place.
So is the ability to take social cues, which you seem to be sorely lacking. I do just fine analyzing data and drawing conclusions, so don't worry about me.

Quote:
Anyway, so the statement was not, "We don't think you'll be challenged here", but, "I never thought I would have to say this to anyone, but I don't think we have enough work here to keep you challenged or engaged". You call this a "coded" message, when he had my resume for three weeks and conducted a phone screen, and was still unable to see what he claimed? [There is another word that describes that sort of analysis style].
You can't possibly be as dense as you're coming off here. I'm willing to bet by your "I interview with less than a year on a job just to see what's out there" attitude you've moved to quite a few positions. Him saying you are likely not going to be challenged or engaged is probably alluding to that perceived notion of your job loyalty. I've used that very same line, and it meant exactly that, an observation that you might very well be interviewing somewhere else 10 months after you're hired here. Additionally, it's an observation that's common for someone who seems to always be looking for the next big thing. In fact, it's one of the first questions that comes to a hiring manager as they're looking at candidates, and it's a definite red flag to see someone interviewing shortly after taking a job. Even if you're doing it to stay sharp, the thought is still going through their head.

Some firms see this lack of allegiance as an advantage, some don't. It says nothing about you as a person when that's not what a company wants in an employee, and it definitely says nothing about their personal beliefs.

I've worked in the defense industry, and have given input on hiring decisions. There is reverse racism in the Aerospace/Defense industry thanks to the federal government, but I've never seen what you're describing.

As for your "colorful" story, and the observations drawn from it by other posters; I'll agree you're painting a picture, but I'm not buying it. I've been there, done that, and no successful A&D CEO is going to turn away a minority with how the government does their procurement.

I still think it's poor form to immediately assume he was racist because he was expecting a Caucasian French national and is located in a small town. Some might even equate that sort of prejudice to racism...

I'm pretty much done here, as you obviously won't stop until I agree the guy was a racist because you didn't get a job offer. But please, continue insulting my intelligence and deductive reasoning abilities because I won't agree with you.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM

70 posts, read 111,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post
So is the ability to take social cues, which you seem to be sorely lacking. I do just fine analyzing data and drawing conclusions, so don't worry about me.

You can't possibly be as dense as you're coming off here. I'm willing to bet by your "I interview with less than a year on a job just to see what's out there" attitude you've moved to quite a few positions. Him saying you are likely not going to be challenged or engaged is probably alluding to that perceived notion of your job loyalty. I've used that very same line, and it meant exactly that, an observation that you might very well be interviewing somewhere else 10 months after you're hired here. Additionally, it's an observation that's common for someone who seems to always be looking for the next big thing. In fact, it's one of the first questions that comes to a hiring manager as they're looking at candidates, and it's a definite red flag to see someone interviewing shortly after taking a job. Even if you're doing it to stay sharp, the thought is still going through their head.

Some firms see this lack of allegiance as an advantage, some don't. It says nothing about you as a person when that's not what a company wants in an employee, and it definitely says nothing about their personal beliefs.

I've worked in the defense industry, and have given input on hiring decisions. There is reverse racism in the Aerospace/Defense industry thanks to the federal government, but I've never seen what you're describing.

As for your "colorful" story, and the observations drawn from it by other posters; I'll agree you're painting a picture, but I'm not buying it. I've been there, done that, and no successful A&D CEO is going to turn away a minority with how the government does their procurement.

I still think it's poor form to immediately assume he was racist because he was expecting a Caucasian French national and is located in a small town. Some might even equate that sort of prejudice to racism...

I'm pretty much done here, as you obviously won't stop until I agree the guy was a racist because you didn't get a job offer. But please, continue insulting my intelligence and deductive reasoning abilities because I won't agree with you.
I never had the goal of you "agreeing" with me or not, but your inability to see fact-based reality is frankly quite frightening. All I have said said all along, figuratively speaking, is: "...the thing barks, it has four legs, it slimes, it wags its tail, it howls at night sometimes, most people keep them as pets, it is called man's best friend, ...etc", and your response is, "It's a cat". I give you the benefit of the doubt, and go on to give more facts, "...it loves bones, its young are called 'puppies', it likes chasing balls, etc", this time your response is, "It's a wallaby". Really??? Are you kidding me???? You don't have to "agree" with me, but open your eyes and SEE reality through the facts and call things by name, even if it hits too close to home! WOW! I sincerely hope your aspirations are not toward organizational leadership. God help us!

Why not do yourself a favor and try and validate what you said, "No successful A&D CEO is going to turn away a minority...", by going to the websites of the top F500 A&D companies and visit their leadership page and do an analysis of how many, minorities - Hispanic, African, Asian, Native American and women are executives at the second, and even third level under the CEO. Calculate the ratio and humor me. Then revisit your flawed hypothesis and see if you make any sense. I dare you to honestly rephrase it. And please, don't make the lame excuse that there are no qualified minorities and women! You have the effrontery to claim that there is reverse racism at executive levels, while in reality that is the bastion of gender and racial discrimination!

Anyway, obviously I see this is a waste of my time. But in parting, do yourself another necessary favor by traveling widely [it is the apparent missing complement to your education], get a broad worldview, go see what's over the "fence" like little Johnny, dare to take up residence and participate in a culture other than yours, go learn a foreign language or two, and don't be in amazement if a man's experience is larger than your capacity to fathom, dismissing it as "colorful stories". Mark Twain said something about people with a similar myopic worldview, take his advice seriously, you will need it.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Last edited by Str8Talk; 05-14-2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 PM

427 posts, read 947,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Talk View Post
I never had to goal of you agreeing with me or not, but the inability to see fact based reality is frankly quite frightening. I sincerely hope your aspirations are not toward leadership.

Why not do yourself a favor and try and validate what you said, "No successful A&D CEO is going to turn away a minority...", by going to the websites of the top F500 A&D companies and visit their leadership page and do an analysis of how many, minorities - Hispanic, African, Asian, Native American; and women are executives at the second, and even third level under the CEO. Then revisit your flawed hypothesis and see if you make any sense. I dare you to honestly rephrase it. And please, don't make the lame excuse that there are no qualified minorities and women.

Anyway, obviously I see this is a waste of my time.
No you don't, because it allows you to do what you do best; whine and complain.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
This seems to be trolling, going to review the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston