Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,108 times

Advertisements

Husband and I have been renting in Houston the past year so that we may figure out where we want to buy. I work just inside the 610 loop, on the west side with easy access via 59 and Westpark Tollway. Husband works mostly from home, with the occasional travel within and outside of Houston.

Question 1: after some background research and chat with fellow coworkers, we decided our best bet is Katy. However, we are baffled by the number of developments and builders. Is there a website that lists all the different developments out there?

Question 2: we've made a few trips out there to visit model homes and some open houses. Houses seem to sell very quickly, and I am beginning to think we will be priced out of the area we are looking at. We'd prefer not to live further west than FM 1463. Is it better to wait until Fall when there's less activity? Or has Katy reached its capacity? And thus I should be looking at Cypress or even Sugarland instead?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by isnilk; 05-04-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,974 times
anything further than 1463 your basically in Brookshire.

Katy is a vast area as it stretches from the Grand parkway all the way to 529 before the Cypress area takes over...alot of the areas are within the county so any and everything can pop up without notice with no zoning...Katy still has space further out

Cypress is a driving nightmare unless you work against traffic or have an odd schedule...Sugar Land/Stafford probably would be your best bet as zoning is enforced and there are numerous ways to 59 and Westpark

Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 AM

833 posts, read 1,887,307 times
Katy has a great market going right now with houses even selling for over asking. Houston just has a very good housing market, well if you are a seller. Get a Realtor and a good one at that to help you. Once you find what you are looking for don't delay on getting in your offer.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,928 times
Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider resale? You can get beautiful houses in Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes that are only a couple years old. Much of what is out here is built out (no more construction dust!) but still very "new". No "updating" if that is your issue.

But yeah if you are wanting to build new... It's looking like it all near 1463 these days.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 AM

498 posts, read 837,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider resale? You can get beautiful houses in Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes that are only a couple years old. Much of what is out here is built out (no more construction dust!) but still very "new". No "updating" if that is your issue.

But yeah if you are wanting to build new... It's looking like it all near 1463 these days.
This pretty much sums it up.

What's your budget and what are your needs in the home? That could help us more quickly give neighborhood suggestions.

Har.com's mapsearch could be a big help for you if you decide to buy instead of build. There is plenty of good stock to choose from out here, as mentioned above.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 17,108 times
Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. We're looking at 225-300k ranges. We are starting to think resale is probably the way to go since location is more important to us right now. However, houses are starting to price way up! And they are selling. I just don't know if we should bite the bullet and buy now, or wait until things calm down a little so we get our money's worth. Maybe things will not calm down, who knows.

Must-haves: easy access to Westpark, 3-4 bedrooms, good schools (we plan to start a family in 1-2 years).

Husband doesn't want to do too much updating, though I think if we can get a resale on the lower end of our budget, it should not cost too much to update countertops and cabinets. I am still trying to convince him this.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 AM

833 posts, read 1,887,307 times
Have you thought about North Richmond like Lakes of Bella Terra?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 AM

498 posts, read 837,919 times
I'm not sure when things are going to cool off. You could be waiting a while. Even if you wait for the off-season you will be sacrificing stock for savings - might not be able to find what you want - and then be stuck where you are now.

After having lived south of the tollway for as long as it's been in operation, I would look on the north side of Westpark. For what you're looking for, you should have no trouble finding something in Grand Lakes, Kelliwood, or Cinco Ranch for 250k. It's becoming more easy to find updated homes as well, i.e. counter-tops, fixures, hardwood/tile, paint.

If you use Har's mapsearch you can use the lasso tool, along with the filter search option to search within the boundaries of 99, Kingsland, Fry, and the Westpark Toll. Don't rule out options to the west of 99 either. Cinco and Grand Lakes both extend that way, and Seven Meadows and Falcon Ranch are on that side as well. Maybe try setting the west boundary about two subdivision's length of 99 if you can't find anything in your first search.

There are a few nice newer construction neighborhoods along 99 south of the WPT as well (Long Meadow Farms, Lakes of Bella Terra, Waterside Estates, Aliana). Living south of the WPT would also give you quicker access to Sugar Land and 59 if that's your preference. With two elementary aged kids, I prefer Katy ISD to the north of the WPT, but I have heard no complaints from friends living south of the WPT with kids in both Fort Bend and Lamar ISD.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM

240 posts, read 808,310 times
Take a drive around old Katy too. You may like what you see. There isn't as much hustle and bustle and the houses are in your price range.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM

241 posts, read 585,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post

There are a few nice newer construction neighborhoods along 99 south of the WPT as well (Long Meadow Farms, Lakes of Bella Terra, Waterside Estates, Aliana). Living south of the WPT would also give you quicker access to Sugar Land and 59 if that's your preference. With two elementary aged kids, I prefer Katy ISD to the north of the WPT, but I have heard no complaints from friends living south of the WPT with kids in both Fort Bend and Lamar ISD.
I think that the price range and the desire for a newer home will definitely make south of the WPT the place to look. I don't think that there is going to be much new in that price range north of the WPT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston