Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 PM

29 posts, read 52,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
You should be aware that Houston is not as open to People of Color as Chicago is. Be prepared to hear some rednecks liberally throw around the "N" word and talk about how Obama is destroying our country and giving all the government money to people on welfare. Way too much of that idiocy here for my liking, but you learn to live with it. If I had other options I would be in Chicago.
I think it is like the flu or some other loathsome virus; racism/discrimination is a social ailment/virus that some people are more susceptible to practicing than others. Viruses are pretty much everywhere, but the degree differs from place-to-place, and in the case of racism, as some on the forum have pointed out, it may be more evident in some places than others. Houston has the cure for that, because it is a very global, diverse, and modern cosmopolitan city with people from everywhere, so the racism virus will be better "contained", however the fact of the matter is that some people will defy the "cure" and still remain carriers of the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM

29 posts, read 52,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
In Houston, you may be a victim of some form of racism simply because racists exist and live amongst us in the world. I think the odds of being a victim are smaller than most other places in country. Some of the northern US metropolises may have lesser odds of racism, but Houston is a very worldly city and becoming moreso every day. I would never worry about it here.
Very well put. Ditto.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
OP visit both but remember how cold winters are in Chicago and they last a long time too. Houston is the future great city with a unique twist on things. My vote would be Houston all the way but its your life. Houston is diverse and an engineering or problem solving city...its not impressed by pedigree it looks at you for who you are and what you can bring to the city.....that is my kind of town! It is also well connected to latin america which brings a culture into the city and its home to more embassies/consulates than Chicago...it is truly an international city that has old school values of people over things and live and let live.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
Considering your age you need to get your fun out so move somewhere more social then come back to Houston at 30 or so and build the stability.

You're 24, just got a job and want to shell out $4k on housing? Um no. If I were you I'd get me a nice $1500k apartment and save save save for a good awhile. Not at 24 running out shelling $4k on a place to live. In Houston you can get something really nice in the city for $2k so to think about 4 or more at your age with no SO or kids is crazy.

$2500 max. More than that you're not spending money wisely. What exactly do you want? In Houston as a single in the actual Loop you could be living VERY nicely for less than 3k so why you'd even want to spend more than that is ???????????? At least right now. Right out of law school and not even 25.

But that's thinking of Houston cost of living.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 PM

427 posts, read 942,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
If you want to work downtown Houston, I suggest you live in the loop for sure, Midtown would be a great option (lot's of people in their 20's), plenty of restaurants and bars for someone with an active social life. The great thing about midtown is, on some days (not smoking hot ), if you wanted you could actually walk to work in the morning (Louisiana street). Living so close to work and play is a major bonus in Houston as the massive commutes are soul-killing in this town. Another cool area nearby is the Med-center/Hermann Park, you could take the train downtown for work. Another great area is near the galleria, but not as great social life as midtown. Anyways, welcome to Houston, I hope everything works out for you!
"Massive commutes". Please. I live well outside the loop and I'm at work downtown in 20 minutes.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
OP most people here are giving you horrible advice.
They are giving you the suburban point of view.

Oildog looks the closest to downtown so I guess he has the best perspective.

Not one of these people are giving you the info from a downtown, midtown point of view.
Most of them can't afford your budget so they're not in your income bracket and don't know downtown from an insiders point of view.

Visit first. See how close potential residences would be to work, groceries, shopping and play.

Just because the Sugarland posters or the Katy posters have to take a car to get to the toilet doesn't mean every one has to.

Living at Park Place you can walk to work, walk to the shops, there is one supermarket about a block away, another along the train in downtown and another less than a mile away in midtown near the rail. There is entertainment within walking distance, down the train or a short can ride away. Btw can fares downtown are a fixed price. Think it's always six bucks no matter where in downtown you are going.

Anyway, my point is, Houston is a big place. Getting info on life in one part from someone in another part is like getting info on life in the Bahamas from someone from Trinidad. No matter how much they visit they don't get the same feel.

I lived in the Galleria first and then various parts of the core of the city. It's drastically different having to drive in and out of it than it is living it. I walked home from the bars sometimes.

Of course Chicago has this on a grander scale, but Life in Chicago seemed so miserable to me. Plus the cold is something else.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM

45 posts, read 86,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Just because the Sugarland posters or the Katy posters have to take a car to get to the toilet doesn't mean every one has to.
I chuckled so hard.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
I chuckled so hard.
I don't see how useful it is getting info about downtown living from someone living in the burbs.
Just because the drive into downtown everyday doesn't mean they know how it feels living there.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:37 AM

785 posts, read 1,227,464 times
Live Downtown (it's booming, check out Market Square Park area) or in Midtown if you choose to come to Houston. You'd be right in the middle of everything. Use the bike share stations and the light rail to get around. You might be surprised at how much you can do without using a car.

Do you like sports? Toyota Center (basketball) and Minute Maid Park (baseball) are in downtown. Dynamo Stadium (soccer) is across the freeway in East Downtown (another hot, up-and-coming area) and accessible by bike station. Reliant Stadium (football) can be reached by light rail.

Like nature? Buffalo Bayou Park is accessible from downtown (beautiful views of the skyline and the *ahem* people) on foot or by bike. Hermann Park can be reached by light rail.

Want arts and culture? Our Theater District (second only to New York's) is downtown. The Museum District can be reached by light rail.

No to West University. That's a single-family, suburb-type neighborhood.

Studies have shown that Houston is one of the least-segregated cities in the country. Yes, you'll still encounter racism. Nothing's perfect. But no one group here dominates the others.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,405,264 times
I agree with HtownLove's advice. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would probably rent (at least initially) in downtown or in midtown. One Park Place is nice and living downtown would certainly be most convenient for work ... but "quality of life" is more subjective. I'd suggest visiting and staying at a hotel downtown (e.g., Hilton Americas) to check it out. If it doesn't appeal, midtown and the museum district would be good alternatives to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: