Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM

166 posts, read 445,979 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm considering moving to Houston to be closer to my family. I also hear there are many job opportunities in Houston, which is very attractive. I consider myself liberal, artsy, I'm also buddhist. I'm wondering if I would be able to find a niche in Houston, since I've heard it's pretty Republican and Christian, and don't know if I will fit in there. I don't mind being around people with beliefs different from my own, I just would to like to know that I can easily find a group of like-minded folks so I can feel a sense of community. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 01:19 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
dont move here without a job.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 PM

I thought the Houston job market was doing great. Is that not the case?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
If you live in the city it is quite liberal. Most professionals in Houston are not from Texas. You will fit in just fine. Montrose and Heights are the more liberal areas. They are also the most fun parts of the city.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
I thought the Houston job market was doing great. Is that not the case?
It is great but that does not mean jobs are waiting for you to move to town to get filled. This economy is very weak and even a good local economy, means you need skills to get a job in this market.

Houston is less lke you assumed it is a very diverse city, you will fit in fine if you have a job

Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 PM

Do you know if staffing agencies are willing to work with people from out of state?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 AM

561 posts, read 972,292 times
OP if you have specific, marketable, preferably technical skill, then move here without a job and you could find one after a short hunt.

You'll find a small niche, there are artsy, liberal and progressive, albeit limited , are around. You just have to find them.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Inside the Loop can be pretty liberal, OP. Heights, Montrose, Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Museum, Medical, etc. It's a big mix but mostly liberal democrat.

It's not that liberal though. Don't think you're going to see Local Union Chapters, free clinics (except in Montrose), organic farmers collectives, left wing bookstores and coffeehouses. It's just socially liberal. Economically even the Democrats are pretty moderate. Outside of their support for gay marriage and some environmental issues, the Dems and Reps in Houston are pretty indistinguishable.

Houston is still a great city though where you will find a pretty fast rising art and music scene. The bars and clubs near Montrose Westheimar, the Heights and Midtown are some of the best I've ever been to in the country. It's a scene that I miss A LOT since moving to LA. You go out and actually meet people unlike here where you go out with your group and you tend to stick to your group and mingle very little with other patrons.

Houston is not LA or NY but as far as building yourself up; getting the work experience, education and skills, Houston is by far better than the former. Not to mention a great place to meet a ton of people and make lots of friends.

The job market is probably the best for the five major cities in the country. I wouldn't move without a job unless you have the time and the money to wait for a good one. Either way the best thing about Houston is that your pay actually gets you something which is unlike a major city. Cost of living is rising fast in Houston as word of this fantastic city got out but it still is very affordable for a major city.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Hello,
I'm considering moving to Houston to be closer to my family. I also hear there are many job opportunities in Houston, which is very attractive. I consider myself liberal, artsy, I'm also buddhist. I'm wondering if I would be able to find a niche in Houston, since I've heard it's pretty Republican and Christian, and don't know if I will fit in there. I don't mind being around people with beliefs different from my own, I just would to like to know that I can easily find a group of like-minded folks so I can feel a sense of community. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If you come here, start hanging out at Black Hole immediately.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM

131 posts, read 537,151 times
Houston has lots of technical jobs. I would not say there are a large percentage of "artsy" jobs here. It's very much an engineering/working man's town on the whole.

Definitely don't move here if you don't have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston