Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 PM

17 posts, read 36,757 times

Advertisements

Say we live in the Woodlands area. Whats the college sports life like around there? Who's the #1 followed team? How crazy do people get? How far to see a team play? Basketball & Football fan. How about the Texans? People crazy around this general area? Crazy in a good way of course. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM

998 posts, read 1,331,322 times
Houston isn't a college sports town. UH, Rice, and TSU do not have large followings at all. I'd imagine that UT,A&M, and perhaps LSU or some other national program are the most followed college football teams in Houston.

The only team that seems to be legitimate when it comes to local support is the Texans.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:48 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,244,055 times
bandwagon fans in Houston....the best basketball atmosphere is at Prairie View A&M by far with the best arena at TSU until UH's redoes theirs

The best game is PV and TSU when its February...last year they drew nearly 7,500 at TSU with this year's game at PV so it'll sell out

football is a crap shoot but PV-TSU at BBVA will be the best venue as UH is playing at reliant this year and Rice is Rice..lol

Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,715,028 times
UH is the biggest school here. They tailgate pretty good at UH. I have never been to TSU. I have been to tons of Rice games because I have lots of friends there. Rice baseball can be really fun to watch. Aside from that trek to Austin or College station. College football watching at bars is crazy.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM

567 posts, read 1,629,277 times
Woodlands? I have not looked at them map closely, but you might be as close to College Station as you are to downtown Houston. I would recommend going seeing an Texas A&M football game at home. I don't know about UH. My wife went there, but we never made it to a sports game there. If you're into soccer, Dynamo games are really cool. I get to see few Texans games per year, and they are good fun, but I am not a "crazy" fan.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM

156 posts, read 612,761 times
Go to a Texas A&M football game in College Station. It's about an hour from The Woodlands. You won't be disappointed.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,244,055 times
best homecoming is at PV....if your a neutral fan, check all the schools out

Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 AM

345 posts, read 808,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA22 View Post
Say we live in the Woodlands area. Whats the college sports life like around there? Who's the #1 followed team? How crazy do people get? How far to see a team play? Basketball & Football fan. How about the Texans? People crazy around this general area? Crazy in a good way of course. Thanks!
It is not a college-type town/city, more oriented towards family. You will not see a caravan of vehicles with stickers and flags going to a college game, but you will see parents active in their kids sports activities. A lot of Woodlanders follow their alumnus, but I don't think they would just go to a college game just for the fun of it without some sort of association with it. I know the area's sportsbars have a pretty good following, but you will not hear honking if Houston becomes a champions again in a sport. I think there are quite a few people follow the Texans there because on my football Sunday cycling rides, the traffic is a little heavier than normal on Sundays. I think the town/city is a little more reserve than Houston, or other parts where you might see someone dressing with a football jersey in the offseason.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM

4,402 posts, read 4,674,951 times
The Woodlands is close to Huntsville which is home to Sam Houston and the football team were pretty good the past couple of years.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM

561 posts, read 975,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIEZ View Post
Go to a Texas A&M football game in College Station. It's about an hour from The Woodlands. You won't be disappointed.
That Manziel is something else. Wouldn't mind seeing him. But the area is a bit too much of a small town.

I was on that campus, and saw buttons on backpacks that read "stop racism at A&M", which was a bit surprising and random.

I went to PV and their homecoming events. If you're not into hip-hop, you might feel out of place, I had a blast, there are so many people from out of town that fly in just to hang out during homecoming. Quite an experience for us students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston