Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM

288 posts, read 433,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Houston rap scene is deff unique, but east coast rap will always be on top because they are lyrically better and its more of a street gritty type rap which is Hip Hop IMO. To be honest that's the rap I remember growing up more so than what I would hear in Houston. In Houston and Southern rap in general its about the dancing, women and stunting, its just more of "lets party" type rap. Rappers from the east focus on the lyrics and I'm deff a fan of there gritty street vibe. Houston rap is regional at best, which works for Houston. I also forgot to add Chamillionaire to my list of favorite southern rappers. He is cool. My favorite East Coast rappers are Jay Z, Pharrell, The Clipse, Pusha T, J Cole, Ja Rule, The Wu Tang Clan, Wale, DMX, Meek Mill, Pete Rock,The Fugies, 9th Wonder, Fat Joe, 50 Cent, Fabulous, Lloyd Banks, G-Unit, Nas, Jadakiss.

Now i dont think Houston or the south can hang with the artist I just mentioned.
9th Wonder is a producer, from North Carolina, he doesn't rap. And J Cole is also from NC, and I personally think J Cole is garbage. No, they're not anything like Petey Pablo who typified a southern rapper, but they're still born and raised below the Mason Dixon. J Cole isnt better than Big KRIT, who i think is one of the most original guys right now. You're doing what a lot of Southern haters do, which is down play how good a lot of the rappers are down here. And if they speak in a deep Southern Drawl, they dismiss their skills entirely. Like they did The Goodie Mob, Z-Ro, or Nappy Roots.

And you're down playing just how good Scarface, Andre 3K, 8Ball and MJG are lyrically. They hang with just about every lyrical rapper. Scarface is on just about everyone's all time great lists. Except a handful of rappers from anywhere, can claim to be as great as Scarface. Even Jay-Z and Nas have said as much.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
9th Wonder is a producer, from North Carolina, he doesn't rap. And J Cole is also from NC, and I personally think J Cole is garbage. No, they're not anything like Petey Pablo who typified a southern rapper, but they're still born and raised below the Mason Dixon. J Cole isnt better than Big KRIT. You're doing what a lot of Southern haters do, which is down play how good a lot of the rappers are down here. And if they speak in a deep Southern Drawl, they dismiss their skills.

And you're down playing just how good Scarface, Andre 3K, 8Ball and MJG are lyrically. They hang with just about every lyrical rapper. Scarface is on about everyone's all time great lists.
9th Wonder has been a few joints and hes a damn good producer..from the East Coast. I mentioned Andre with Outcast. Scarface is a good but hes not my personal favorite. J Cole is better than Big Krit..def not sure where you got that from and hes from the East Coast (well i think its the East Coast). Pete Pablo??????? IDK.

Dude did you jusy say 8 Ball and MJG are good lyrically?? IDK man. I guess.....

And I'm not "Down Playing" anything about the southern rappers...I mentioned my love from them in my 1st post. Just think the east coast got alot more going on.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 05-15-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
I will say this though I do agree that hip hop is at a crossroads because its way too close to pop music that its hardly distinct. But that's what I like about the Houston scene, its still relatively distinct.

Also when I hear Kanye I hear rap just ultimately selling out. But the coasts dictate the style and when they come out with whack and weak stuff they blame the Houston southern rap scene for not adapting. I mean skinny jeans, nerdy looks, pop lyrics, too many pop references will never be cool in Houston.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
9th Wonder has been a few joints and hes a damn good producer..from the East Coast. I mentioned Andre with Outcast. Scarface is a good but hes not my personal favorite. J Cole is better than Big Krit..def not sure where you got that from and hes from the East Coast (well i think its the East Coast). Pete Pablo??????? IDK.

Dude did you jusy say 8 Ball and MJG are good lyrically?? IDK man. I guess.....

And I'm not "Down Playing" anything about the southern rappers...I mentioned my love from them in my 1st post. Just think the east coast got alot more going on.
Im just confused on how North Carolina is...East Coast. 9th Wonder and J Cole are North Carolina products, as is Petey Pablo. I'm just saying that they dont personify a typical Southern Rapper like Petey was, which he was through and through. Some guys like Jay Electroica, from N.O., don't sound anything like their regions, and sound like the East Coast.

And yes, Big KRIT is 10X better than anything J Cole has dropped. J Cole represents the list of rappers who try to look and sound like the Drake fad since he popped off. No different than our version in KriKo Bangz, also garbage. All three of them, look, act, and sound the same.

You have some obvious bias towards the East Coast, even when some of the guys you like aren't even from there. I love the Eastcoast and the South. But bias aside, not everything from there is great just because they have a NY accent and sound. I just can't take your assessment seriously when you list Lloyd banks and G-Unit as lyrical. Come on son? Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo on par with 8ball and MJG? I would put Slim Thug, Lil Keke, or Cham over Lloyd banks.

You can like whatever you like, but I'm scratching my head here. And I know we're getting off topic on the Houston scene now.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM

482 posts, read 874,756 times
What do you guys know about Whiskey Blanket?

Old 05-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Im just confused on how North Carolina is...East Coast. 9th Wonder and J Cole are North Carolina products, as is Petey Pablo. I'm just saying that they dont personify a typical Southern Rapper like Petey was, which he was through and through. Some guys like Jay Electroica and Dead Prez, who are from the South but don't sound anything like their regions, and sound like the East Coast but they're not from there.

And yes, Big KRIT is 10X better than anything J Cole has dropped. J Cole represents the list of rappers who try to look and sound like the Drake fad since he popped off. No different than our version in KriKo Bangz, also garbage. All three of them, look, act, and sound the same.

You have some obvious bias towards the East Coast, even when some of the guys you like aren't even from there. I love the Eastcoast and the South. But bias aside, not everything from there is great just because they have a NY accent and sound. I just can't take your assessment seriously when you list Lloyd banks and G-Unit as lyrical. Come on son? Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo on par with 8ball and MJG?

You can like whatever you like, but I'm scratching my head here.
^^^Im scratching too brah.

Not Biased at all man. Just stating my opinion. I love my local rappers. East Coast to me is anything from Maine to the top of Florida. J Cole & 9th Wonder are east coast products..to me.

Big Krit is good but J Cole is better..he reminds me NOTHING of Drake...where did you get that from, I have not idea...J Cole has been out for a min. His mix tape "the warm up" blows Big Kritt out of the water.

I need for you to elaborate on 8 Ball and MJG because Im deff not seeing it bro. G-Unit is one of the best rap groups of all time and you are going to sit here and say that 8 Ball and MJG are better...GTFOH!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
Screwed up click, Rap a lot, Swisha House HOUSTON

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
The Houston rap scene showed the world that you didn't need a major label to make good music and a lot of money. Houston New Orleans and Memphis have some of the greatest independent record labels ever to make music.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Not Biased at all man. Just stating my opinion. I love my local rappers. East Coast to me is anything from Maine to the top of Florida. J Cole & 9th Wonder are east coast products..to me.
Under that logic, Georgia is Eastcoast too, since it touches the Atlantic, and is above Florida. And that's with the northern part of Florida being more Southern in culture than the bottom half. You ask most any true New Yorker, and they'll look at you funny for thinking that North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida are "Eastcoast". Scarface doesnt sound like he's from here, but that doesn't make him any less from here.

You can have your opinion, because i obviously don't share it.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Under that logic, Georgia is Eastcoast too, since it touches the Atlantic, and is above Florida. And that's with the northern part of Florida being more Southern in culture than the bottom half of Florida.

You can have your opinion, because i obviously don't share it.
That's because you are just talking just to be talking..and of course you dont know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston