Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM

288 posts, read 433,589 times

Advertisements

Sorry dud, we dont have to agree. I still love AZ, Nas, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, Slum village, and a bunch of others. I dont think G-Unit is an all time great group. I don't categorize North Carolina or Florida as being part of the "Eastcoast" umbrella.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:49 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Sorry dud, we dont have to agree. I still love AZ, Nas, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, Slum village, and a bunch of others. I dont think G-Unit is an all time great group. I don't categorize North Carolina or Florida as being part of the "Eastcoast" umbrella.
I actually meant to say the top of GA not Florida..though some rappers (Pimp C to be specific) considers GA to be apart of the East Coast. Your right we dont have to agree..Common and Slum Village are some of my personal faves as well. As for southern rap i forgot to add Boosie, Webbie and of course the whole No Limit Group and Cash Money..love and remember those guys.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
G-Unit? I love 50 Cent but where is G-Unit one of the best out there? In what planet?

Most rap I think sounds like pop music to me these days outside of the indie labels of Memphis, Houston and New Orleans. Atlanta has even gone pop.

You want to know what your litmus test should be; if you can see and hear Justin Bieber or Justin Timberlake jumping into the song or the chorus. There ya go! I could see Paul Wall and Slim Thug jumping in on a pop song with either to make some side cash but I could never see the former jump on a Paul Wall track.

The stuff out there is so whack that I shut off and listen to old school stuff or new stuff from Houston and the South only.

But the coasts dictate what's in and what's not and usually they're always saying that Southern rap is "ruining" hip hop. I cry foul because it's Snoop who is rapping with Katy Perry, Ice Cube doing Disney films, P.Diddy whazzuping Kesha, Kanye sampling Daftpunk and Ice Tea playing a cop on TV!

Z-Ro, Trae, UGK, Three Six, Paul Wall, Slim, Mike Jones, and 8 Ball MJG still keep it real....for the most part.

And Scarface is up there with Biggie and Pac as one of the greatest rappers.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Let's put it this way Bun B never had to come out with a song to let people know he was still a 'g' like Dre did in that god awful Forgot About Dre song. I guess I've been spoiled with dirty south music because honestly nothing seems as cool. A lot of the coast rap post 90s-early 2000s sounds whack,

Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
G-Unit? I love 50 Cent but where is G-Unit one of the best out there? In what planet?

Most rap I think sounds like pop music to me these days outside of the indie labels of Memphis, Houston and New Orleans. Atlanta has even gone pop.

You want to know what your litmus test should be; if you can see and hear Justin Bieber or Justin Timberlake jumping into the song or the chorus. There ya go! I could see Paul Wall and Slim Thug jumping in on a pop song with either to make some side cash but I could never see the former jump on a Paul Wall track.

The stuff out there is so whack that I shut off and listen to old school stuff or new stuff from Houston and the South only.

But the coasts dictate what's in and what's not and usually they're always saying that Southern rap is "ruining" hip hop. I cry foul because it's Snoop who is rapping with Katy Perry, Ice Cube doing Disney films, P.Diddy whazzuping Kesha, Kanye sampling Daftpunk and Ice Tea playing a cop on TV!

Z-Ro, Trae, UGK, Three Six, Paul Wall, Slim, Mike Jones, and 8 Ball MJG still keep it real....for the most part.

Not seeing 8 Ball & MJG...idk bro! They are good but deff not good lyrically.

IDK never really felt Scarface but I do remember his Album "the Fix" which was pretty good.

G-Unit is one of the best hip hop groups of all time bro!!!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Not seeing 8 Ball & MJG...idk bro! They are good but deff not good lyrically.

IDK never really felt Scarface but I do remember his Album "the Fix" which was pretty good.

G-Unit is one of the best hip hop groups of all time bro!!!!!!!!
Scarface is too dope. Eight Ball and MJG start with the song Flex. Monster beat and lyrics to boot.

I think we're just differing on what kind of lyrics. I look for lyrics that flow, are creative, lyrical, witty, comical and even dark at the same time. Southern and Houston rappers are hard hitting without the pretense and without the a
anger. It's like they can diss you while sitting in a chair throwed on some mud. DMX, Jadakiss, JA Rule, and Eminem all sound like they're going to just go through the radio and beat the hell out of you because they're so angry and furious at getting dissed. LOL. The only cool one I think is 50 Cent who I love because he is so laid back in his tracks even when he's angry.

I just dislike these rappers that try to play it off like they're so hard, angry and how they're the baddest king kong mofo out there and they're gonna stomp on you with their size 12 Timbaland boot. That to me is just whack rap. "Grrr, I am from the Bronx don't mess with me, the fur on my white jacket don't mean I can't be mean, Grrrrr." LOL

Or the other type: "My lyrical ascension is just my historical comprehension of different styles that get your attention, because I am a smart rapper without the illogical blabber. I read books and expand by vernacular but you ignorant fools don't get that I am spectacular". LOL I just made that up in the last 30 seconds and it sounds like something pretenious a NYC or LA rapper would sing.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

Atlanta has some good indie stuff that's quite different from your typical artists.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 PM

298 posts, read 416,436 times
Thank the lord for Houston's music. It makes me feel better about my state. Dallas, sadly, seems to be stuck with annoying dance after annoying dance.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM

427 posts, read 947,247 times
Most people in Houston couldn't even name a local rap group. They are simply indifferent to it.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 PM

226 posts, read 306,306 times
Tech N9ne and Army of the Pharoahs are the only rappers outside of Houston rap that I can listen to these days (and have since their beginnings). The rest of the country is garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston