Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,713 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when and what was the latest density stat for the Houston area? I'm particularly interested the core/or inner loop. I have seen SO many multi unit mid-rises/condos popping up near Midtown, Ea-do, Kirby, Montrose, Astrodome area, Washington Ave etc....... I can only imagine that Houston will see a modest jump Houston's density numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 03:49 AM

507 posts, read 807,210 times
I think it has reached 4000 ppsm now

Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Crazy....

The amount of new housing going up is staggering. Living in the suburbs, or out of the inner-loop for all of my time in the Houston area, I have seen this sort of construction in the suburbs and unincorporated parts of Harris County, but never as concentrated in one area. I think the Montrose/Midtown/Neartown area is the most active.

I have noticed though, these are not like the apartments I used to rent "in my day". Have you been in any of these? Heck, these have nicer kitchens and baths than some of the homes I've lived in... granite countertops, stainless appliances, and amenities.... it's like, who needs a gym membership nowadays if you live in these new/fancy apartments?

Fortunately I chose a home in Montrose with easy/quick access to the freeways because the density will bring traffic. On the other side, the density will bring many more places to spend money. I've also noticed that the parks on the banks of the bayou are always full of people having a good time; it was not always so less than a decade ago. I mean there were always people in the parks, just not like there is now.

Another benefit is the tax base, if you can call it a benefit. More revenue SHOULD equal more infrastructure improvements, or beautification. One thing these expensive neighborhoods have is worst streets as compared to even some of the worst suburb neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Does anyone know when and what was the latest density stat for the Houston area? I'm particularly interested the core/or inner loop. I have seen SO many multi unit mid-rises/condos popping up near Midtown, Ea-do, Kirby, Montrose, Astrodome area, Washington Ave etc....... I can only imagine that Houston will see a modest jump Houston's density numbers.
Inner Loop land area is 95.6 square miles. Population is 469,051.

The construction and infill of Inner Loop en masse is exclusively the western half of the loop which is indeed growing at a healthy pace. The industrial eastern side however is declining and shrinking, albeit a lot of that is because they are razing down single family homes with families averaging 2.8 people per household for townhomes and apartments averaging near 1.0 people per unit. So that's natural as the area changes from a quasi-west/north Philadelphia like place (industrial and somewhat rundown-ish) to more in line with the western half of the loop.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-image-116.bmp

Old 05-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Good point about the East-side. I think once rail gets rolling it will spur more development to revitalize that area.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Good point about the East-side. I think once rail gets rolling it will spur more development to revitalize that area.
Let's hope you're right. Remember they said the same thing about the Main Street/Red Line.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
The red line was different as the land was overpriced before the rail went in. Speculators have not ruined.the market on the eastside yet so building is a lot cheaper

Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Inner Loop land area is 95.6 square miles. Population is 469,051.

The construction and infill of Inner Loop en masse is exclusively the western half of the loop which is indeed growing at a healthy pace. The industrial eastern side however is declining and shrinking, albeit a lot of that is because they are razing down single family homes with families averaging 2.8 people per household for townhomes and apartments averaging near 1.0 people per unit. So that's natural as the area changes from a quasi-west/north Philadelphia like place (industrial and somewhat rundown-ish) to more in line with the western half of the loop.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-image-116.bmp
I was thinking lately. Is part of that 95.6 square miles including Bellaire and West U Place? Because if so, I think that number should be around 90 or so which would have the density at over 5000 sq. miles.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Let's hope you're right. Remember they said the same thing about the Main Street/Red Line.
The developers are all over the Main street Red line. Buy now its only going to get spendier.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 AM

yes, red line development is picking up. Iv'e seen several residential units popping up up within blocks of the red line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: