Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM

482 posts, read 874,912 times

Advertisements

That house might be nice but the area is in decline. Rapidly. Not to mention property taxes like the other person said.

It's true, you do get a lot more house for your money here, but it is not the land of milk and honey like so many believe.

Also, please understand that the reason we have such a great economy is because we are business friendly. Look at how broke CA, NY, and MI are. Please keep that in mind when you vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 PM

69 posts, read 210,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2905 View Post
That house is in Humble which is not one of the better school districts or an area I would say was highly sought after in the north Houston area....it is no Kingwood or The Woodlands. Also note TX has height property tax and Humble is Harris county so high home owners insurance. The taxes on that house would be around 7k a year. A 400k house will run anywhere from 10k to 16k a year in taxes depending on the area.
I do not understand why the address shows as Humble when it maps in Atascocita and is more or less across the street from a Great Schools rated 10 elementary school.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
That house might be nice but the area is in decline. Rapidly. Not to mention property taxes like the other person said.

It's true, you do get a lot more house for your money here, but it is not the land of milk and honey like so many believe.

Also, please understand that the reason we have such a great economy is because we are business friendly. Look at how broke CA, NY, and MI are. Please keep that in mind when you vote.
Meaning...?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post

What is causing the decline?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Yes, MI is broke and it that's one reason why it sucks (unfortunately). Several of the most dangerous cities in the country are in this state; Detroit, Pontiac, Flint and Saginaw. One reason we want to get out.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:50 PM

482 posts, read 874,912 times
Crime.

Meaning if you come, vote business friendly. Or else we will be in the same boat as CA, NY, and MI. They look at each other and shrug and yet continue to vote in a way that doesn't promote business. We all love our economy and want to keep it moving forward.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,415 times
Atasocitia is Humble ISD just like The Woodlands is Conroe ISD. My in laws live in Atasocitia and heir sons just graduated HS and I would seriously not live there as it has gone downhill. Plus you have to deal with 1960 and that road is a nightmare!

Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi24 View Post
MI summers can also get up into the 90's with very high humidity (Great Lakes State=high humidity). But how does that explain 3500 sq. foot homes for 250K? It can't be crime, can it? Is it an economy issue? We work in health care...
Uh, no. I lived in Michigan and now I live in Texas and there is no comparison. Yes, it may get hot AND humid there for a couple of weeks in Michigan during the summer. In Texas it is hot AND humid for six months...non stop.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Here's a weather map comparison

Average highs in May thru October are higher in Houston and it does not really cool off at night because of the humidity. Usually, even in April, it is hot here. OTOH, the average lows in Houston are in the mid-40s in January, when Michigan is in the teens and 20s. Houston has a humid subtropical climate. Detroit is classified as temperate.

Houston
Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Detroit
Average Weather for Detroit/Metro Wayne County Arpt, MI - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Hey, thanks for the info.!

I've seen other posts where people talk about how nice it is to live in Eagle Springs as well as other nearby communities, which I thought were part of Atascocita? So I am thoroughly confused. I don't know because I don't live there. Trying to understand the area and how it all fits together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston