Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times

Advertisements

To me, Galveston feels like old Houston. Lotsa white women with drawls and money wearing last decade's fashions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
LA city limits do touch Long Beach and it's all fully developed. Galveston feels far removed from Houston. Ft Worth and Dallas are much more connected as well.
There is still lots of undeveloped land off of I-20 & I-30.

183 is pretty built up, especially with the current reconstruction going on there.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
To me, Galveston feels like old Houston. Lotsa white women with drawls and money wearing last decade's fashions.
Galveston never was white women with Southern drawls, it was a diverse melting pot of immigrants from Europe & Southeast Asia. You can still find a sizable Italian & Filipino population there on the island.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So uptown Dallas isn't one of the most if not the most urban area of Texas? This is what I said in my 2nd post. I haven't even mention Uptown Dallas for quite some time so what are you talking about? Clearly a biased Dallasites. I don't even understand the pissing contest between Houstonians and Dallasites at this point. Honestly I don't see why Galveston was brought up. I'm just stating Houston and Galveston are alot closer then what OUTSIDERS realize.

I know exactly how close they are....

the post I made was referencing LA/LB and D/FW which are both vastly more connected than Houston/Galveston. That was my point, before you said what you said....

Old 05-30-2013, 02:54 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Maybe I'll do that, maybe its grown a ton in a year and a half. Its still not like LA/Long Beach at least not for a few more decades....
It's a similar effect nonetheless. It is six lanes of BUSY freeway between Houston and Galveston. I have been from L.A. to Long Beach AND Houston to Galveston MANY times. There's just more density in the L.A. area, of course (not to mention LA/Long Beach is 19 miles and Houston/Galveston is 40), but that doesn't diminish the relative continuity with Clear Lake, League City, Dickinson, Hitchcock and Tiki Island between Houston and Galveston. It goes fast enough down I-45, certainly not "far removed."

And no, Houston/Galveston doesn't have to be like L.A./Long Beach (but look at I-45 between The Woodlands and downtown Houston vis-a-vis I-5 between downtown L.A. and Downey...VERY SIMILAR...and I-5 in L.A. gets rather barren between Burbank and Valencia! So what!). Having lived in packed SoCal for years, I prefer a tad few open spaces in between places in the Houston area. Galveston in and of itself has more unique character than SoCal anyway.

Contrary to what annie tries to deceive, there ain't NO WAY Galveston "feels like Houston." The Strand and its vibe are NOTHING like what's in Houston. And that is a GOOD thing. (Heights 19th Street? White Oak? Washington Ave? Uptown/Galleria? Med Center? Corner of Dunvale/Westheimer? Taft/Fairview? Downtown Houston's FUTURISTIC Main St. promenades? Richmond Avenue? Really? Where is this "feels like" thing in Houston? Hmm. Not even Kemah Lighthouse District feels anything like Galveston! )

Ultimately, I do like how Houston has an utterly distinct vibe from Galveston. In comparison, not like in L.A. metro where Long Beach/San Pedro (among my favorite L.A. areas) has contiguous yet MONOTONOUS texture/vibe with Los Angeles/Torrance/Gardena/etc.

Galveston is nothing like I experienced living in SoCal or Tampa Bay for that matter. That too is a GOOD thing as far as I am concerned. It is more unique than what's there and simply has that effect on me. We are lucky for having Galveston VERY NEAR us, for it provides us Houstonians a different metro texture when we want it.

Last edited by worldlyman; 05-30-2013 at 03:21 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
I agree. Galveston feels absolutely nothing like Houston. They are night and day

Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Heck, forget about uptown, Dallas had no Southwest Houston period.
You know SW Houston has more people than Dallas right? And the diversity there in that one area is unmatched in Texas. No area in Texas has a better concentration of food from all over the world.

Dallas is also missing its Galveston.

Economywise they are missing their ship channel

I disagree with justme, we do have a match to uptown Dallas, the only thing we are missing is our Fort Worth.

Fort Worth Ditch Dallas and come join us.
Diversity itself doesn't make an area good. You have to be clear that you're talking about Indian and African restaurants in strip mall sprawl... Given the choice, anybody with any sense of quality of life would choose the Dallas urban neighborhoods.

Frankly, as an immigrant from the Caribbean, I find it insulting and vaguely racist when people tout Houston's "diversity". You're treating us like an amenity.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Diversity itself doesn't make an area good. You have to be clear that you're talking about Indian and African restaurants in strip mall sprawl... Given the choice, anybody with any sense of quality of life would choose the Dallas urban neighborhoods.

Frankly, as an immigrant from the Caribbean, I find it insulting and vaguely racist when people tout Houston's "diversity". You're treating us like an amenity.
Diversity and culture is always a good thing in my book. If you want to call it an amenity, then so be it. It's a representation of the world as a whole which many American cities can't claim. You need to get over that.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

Or more like a "street act" that people from all around come to see....But I also agree 100% with Stoneclaw. Its not really like bragging on diversity its more like a gage to measure the progression of a city's culture as a whole. Its to get the message out that anybody could be comfortable there....Its totally a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston