Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,135,514 times

Advertisements

Poverty on the rise in Houston suburbs - Houston Chronicle

I guess its time for reverse white flight.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,231,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

Race should have nothing to do with poverty given the amount of opportunity available if you work hard, unless you're in some backwoods town, which Houston is definitely not.

Many hardworking families with kids today cannot afford to live in Houston's urban core primarily because private school is prohibitively expensive. The middle class and even part of the upper middle class cannot afford $30k per year per kid. That is worse than college b/c it lasts 14 years and you don't have time to save for it. That is not to mention how stressful it is to get in to these private schools.

THIS and a single family house in the urban core sized for a family with 2-3 kids would cost at the very least twice and likely much more than what it would cost in Houston's nicest suburbs (Memorial does not count - I mean Woodlands or Sugar Land)

Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,470,766 times
Quote:

Well, isn't this the norm for NYC,London, Paris, etc.? In the world class cities the rich live in, the middle class out. Just evidence that Houston is evolving.

I think reverse flight, on socio-economic scale, started a few years back.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,658,671 times
Ly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Race should have nothing to do with poverty given the amount of opportunity available if you work hard, unless you're in some backwoods town, which Houston is definitely not.

Many hardworking families with kids today cannot afford to live in Houston's urban core primarily because private school is prohibitively expensive. The middle class and even part of the upper middle class cannot afford $30k per year per kid. That is worse than college b/c it lasts 14 years and you don't have time to save for it. That is not to mention how stressful it is to get in to these private schools.

THIS and a single family house in the urban core sized for a family with 2-3 kids would cost at the very least twice and likely much more than what it would cost in Houston's nicest suburbs (Memorial does not count - I mean Woodlands or Sugar Land)
Exactly...suburbs offer more bang for your buck (sq footage, lot size, better schools ect) for families. While there definately are wealthy suburbs suburban living isn't necessarily associated with wealth in my mind its more affordable housing generally.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 AM

70 posts, read 111,267 times
Quote:

I think you got the definition of 'white flight' wrong. It is a phenomenon primarily associated to white's "escaping" the influx of other cultures/ethnic groups to an area. Per the definition, 'white flight' is extremely weakly, if even that, correlated to financial status. It has more to do with a lack of cultural and ethnic acceptance.

For example, East London is pretty much Asian/East European/African/Arab etc; and I ask myself, where are all the native-whites? No where to be seen. Funny enough, the trend [influx of other cultures] is expanding into central and west London...resulting in many of the natives moving further out from London.

White flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White flight | Define White flight at Dictionary.com

Last edited by Str8Talk; 05-22-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well, isn't this the norm for NYC,London, Paris, etc.? In the world class cities the rich live in, the middle class out. Just evidence that Houston is evolving.

I think reverse flight, on socio-economic scale, started a few years back.
You mean like how they turned fourth ward into "midtown"?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 AM

18,110 posts, read 25,236,931 times
Quote:

Didn't know all poor people were minorities

Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Talk View Post
I think you got the definition of 'white flight' wrong. It is a phenomenon primarily associated to white's "escaping" the influx of other cultures/ethnic groups to an area. Per the definition, 'white flight' is extremely weakly, if even that, correlated to financial status. For example, East London is pretty much Asian/East European/African/Arab etc; and I ask myself, where are all the native-whites? No where to be seen. Funny enough, the trend [influx of other cultures] is expanding into central and west London...resulting in many of the natives moving further out from London.

White flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White flight | Define White flight at Dictionary.com
No I think i got it quite right. White filght in the U.S. was when white people left the cities for the suburbs after segregation. If they're a large amount of poor people(which are usually black or latino) moving to the suburbs and I can eaily see whites and people who have money moving back in the city. Its already happening. See Midtown, The Heights, Monstrose, East End. They're even starting to move into certain parts of third ward.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121642866373567057.html

Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Didn't know all poor people were minorities
So I guess the statistics are wrong.

Poverty rates higher for blacks and Hispanics than whites and Asians - Washington Post

Census report on poverty rates - The Washington Post

Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,470,766 times
Quote:
You mean like how they turned fourth ward into "midtown"?
Well, that's one example. But there are other examples near the loop as well. The Washington Ave. grew out of a not so great area. The Heights/Timbergrove Manor was a place no one with a good budget would live 20 years ago.People began to reclaim Braes Heights, Meyerland,Garden Oaks/Oak Forest and Westbury. Those areas never hit bottom, but they certainly have become more enticing to those who want to live in and not have a commute. Bellaire has grown more in the past five years, the horrible old crack-house looking dwellings are starting the dwindle in numbers. Spring Valley has completely taken off.

As to the actual wealthy whites, they never "left." They just all condensed down into certain areas. It was a portion of the upper-middle and middle class who left in search of public schools. It's almost impossible for them to return into the city and get solid k-12 schools...that are safe. But this isn't unique to just Houston. It 's in every major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston