Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

191 posts, read 773,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
Just curious if there is any residential house in Houston that has enough solar panels and/or wind turbines (approved by HOA) to have them completely independent from the electrical lines?

Anyone? OK, 50% off the grid?

How much did they spend? And what's projected ROI (return on investment)?

I am just curious.
There is a house in Telfair that has a good chunk of the front of the roof with solar panels. They are pretty big panels. I wonder how much it cost and how much he saves each month.

Many years ago, I had looked into this start up solar panel company that rented their solar panels. I believe there was no to minimal cost involved. Guess they never came to the area because we never heard back from them.

With the abundance of land we have in Texas, why can't they build solar farms and have wind turbines instead of those nasty high power lines and strip malls everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM

222 posts, read 418,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
With the abundance of land we have in Texas, why can't they build solar farms and have wind turbines instead of those nasty high power lines and strip malls everywhere?
TX already is the biggest producer of wind power in the country. Sure much more can be done. The least we can do is support wind power by subscribing to a 100% wind power electricity plan. I do. It is almost at par with the other bigger ERPs (Reliant etc.) for longer term contracts.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Reviving an old thread here, but has any progress, or even attempt, been made on Net Metering either locally or for the state as a whole? Politics aside, it seems like this should be an easy solution for people in our neck of the woods...?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:41 PM

101 posts, read 139,900 times
Uhm, with cheap electricity in Houston, not sure the cost of purchasing solar can be justified. Don't we pay $.12/kWh there? I'm now in SoCal paying $.22/kwh for first tier and $.41 for second tier, so it makes a lot of sense to dish out the $17k or so to purchase solar panel. From talking to neighbors, we'll make it up in about seven years. Still a lot of money with solar technology changing so quickly.... Now, doing it for enviornmental reasons and not being dependent on utilities companies, etc., it's a different story.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:34 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farink View Post
Uhm, with cheap electricity in Houston, not sure the cost of purchasing solar can be justified. Don't we pay $.12/kWh there? I'm now in SoCal paying $.22/kwh for first tier and $.41 for second tier, so it makes a lot of sense to dish out the $17k or so to purchase solar panel. From talking to neighbors, we'll make it up in about seven years. Still a lot of money with solar technology changing so quickly.... Now, doing it for enviornmental reasons and not being dependent on utilities companies, etc., it's a different story.
But there is the famed 5 Mile Zone near the beach and the Valleys usually heat up to the 80's. It's been a rainy summer this year and we're going to experience normal conditions from now to the 4th of July. It reached about 32-35C/90-95F on this humid, sunny day today.

Air conditioning is making my bill go up; hopefully we don't have a stretch of 100s this year! It would be nice to finally use the sun's energy (against it) to offset the cost of the air conditioning.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farink View Post
Well, our plan is to eventually tear down the house we live in and build on our lot. When the time comes, and if solar power is only 10-20k more, then I'll just do that and build it in. I just prefer the idea of having solar panels and a battery backup system one day vs a gas generator. Plus ecological and a general disdain on monopolies/oligopolies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston