Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM

202 posts, read 715,043 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the differences, good/bad, between University of St. Thomas and Houston Baptist University (other than Catholic vs. Baptist)? My daughter is looking into transferring to one or the other - majoring in Accounting. How would a daily commute be from Katy or Sugar Land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Sugar Land is closer to both.....

HBU is trying to break away from its religious stigma (to a point) and trying to move towards Baylor's platform (there was a news story that chronicled that). HBU wants to create campus life and will impose football on students thinking the enrollment will boost but the stadium is years away from opening on campus.

How long will HBU transform into a viable campus? Who knows as it takes time but HBU is trying to buy the area around them as opposed to embracing it.

St. Thomas is a small school with limited sport options but close to Montrose if they were on campus. However, nothing really exciting about it socially but solid academically.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
St Thomas seems to have a lot of On Campus activities for those who live on campus or near campus and who are outgoing and social types who like to get involved in stuff. I attended as an older, commuter student so I just went to class after work and went home.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM

My daughter would be commuting daily from either Cypress, Katy or Sugar Land areas so on campus activities, etc. would not be of much interest. Concerned about academics, travel times, safety, etc.?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
My daughter would be commuting daily from either Cypress, Katy or Sugar Land areas so on campus activities, etc. would not be of much interest. Concerned about academics, travel times, safety, etc.?

Thanks.
Academics= Both schools are excellent and students get a lot of attention from faculty and staff because of how small the classroom sizes are. HBU ranks pretty high at the graduate level.

Travel time= This easily goes to HBU. Easy access to HBU from Sugar land and Katy along 59 or Westpark Tollway. Cypress will give you a heavy commute to both schools so it won't matter.

Safety= St Thomas is a bit safer as it is in Montrose and HBU is in Sharpstown. HBU has great on campus security but there will still be random acts of crime just like any university can experience but nothing like the crime that occurs at U of H which seems to top all the area universities.

I think your daughter will do just fine no matter which one she chooses.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
I don't know a ton about either school. St Thomas is in a great location. HBU is in the hood with nothing around it.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
hood? lol....that was the epicenter of suburban Houston at one time....it ain't "hood"....just a bunch of old 1950s ranch style homes on one side and old apartments on the other

Hood is deep in the heart of 5th ward on chew street or across from EO Smith in a shotgun house

Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston